“Well......”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Hinton
Ottawa, Canada
“Well......”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed in Nova inn Hinton on July 21 and checked out on 22nd.
My original booking was for July 20 (checking out on 21) which was my mistake. I was making so many reservations for our family vacation, I made a mistake. Also I found this out little too late. I found it at the night of 20th. I called the number that I had on my reservation and left a voice mail, thinking that was a number of Nova inn but it was booking.com, that was my mistake also. I called the hotel on Monday morning and talked to somebody who said they already charged me for the night because I didn't show up but he understood and he would do anything he could to help me and we could come and stay without charge.
That was awesome to hear, of course but he shouldn't have said it when he left a note saying he's leaving the final decision to the manger.
So we went to the hotel. The front desk person said it's the manager's decision and got the manager to come out who said she's in a meeting but when she's done she will call me to discuss and do something that's fair for everybody.
She left without talking to me.
We stayed there with no other choice to stay there. (We stayed because of what the manager said). Next morning I asked front desk if the manager left any message, there was none. She reminded me of the no-show policy again but she said she will get the manager to call me. The manager didn't call.
I emailed the head office few days later and I said all employees should say whatever they would and they could and make sure that happens.
The head office didn't respond to me.
I understand the policy and don't blame the hotel to charge me for the no-show Sunday. But it's not right to say you would do something and don't.
If the manager had no authority to adjust that kind of situation then she should have told me so, instead of saying what she wasn't going to do.
Do not plan to use any of Nova inn in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jan0211
Regi0nalsalesmanager, Regional Sales Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank-you kindly for your review.
Unfortunately we no longer own this property, as we sold it last month.
That being said I would invite you to contact me directly as this is certainly not the service that we expect our guests to receive at Nova Hotels, and we would love the opportunity to discuss this further.
If you have a moment, please feel free to contact me at 587-336-9531 or via email at mindy_s@novahotels.ca.
Thanks again for your review.
Sincerely, Mindy Smythe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed the night of August 6/14. No problems making the reservation except I could not be sent an email confirmation because the system was not working. I did receive a number. The hotel has just been sold...will become a comfort inn. Our room was quiet and spacious room number 408. Very nice room with private bedroom and fully stocked kitchenette. The microwave would only work on popcorn mode, but still reheated our food. One light out in bathroom. Bedroom window would not stay open. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was fine. Fresh fruit, pancakes to heat up and the usual toast etc. the pool was closed as they were waiting for the papers from the sale. When we checked our visa bill when we got home there was an extra 100.00 charge. I called back and was told it was a deposit on incidentals. We were not told that at booking. Takes 10 days to be refunded. The hotel is very nice and clean for the price. Would recommend it but there are a few things that needed sorting out.

Room Tip: Rooms on back quieter. Right beside Dairy Queen. 408 was nice.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 732Nat2002
Winsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stopped off at the Nova on the off chance of a room as we could get a room in Jasper, we were pleasantly surprised the staff were extremely friendly, rooms were spacious and clean and good value for money my only little snag was the walls must of been on the thin side so you could hear the other rooms, but overall great for a stop over night or two.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed for 4 days and 3 nights in this hotel. The room was clean, AC worked well and the kitchenette was really useful. Unfortunately, when the housekeeping staff knocked on our first morning and since we slept in, they weren't able to clean our room, change linens, and collect garbage. On our second day, they knocked again at around 8 AM and we weren't up yet. Before we left for the day, we asked the housekeeping staff to clean our room and they agreed. The lady at the reception even noted our room number. To our dismay when we arrived that night, our room wasn't cleaned. We even left a sign on the door to indicate that our room needs cleanup. So, my children and I requested for towels, linens, and garbage bags and we did the housekeeping work on our own. The receptionist (Steven/Stephen?) told us that he wasn't informed by morning staff that our room needs cleaning. He was friendly and apologetic and collected our used linens and garbage. The following day when I saw the same lady receptionist and asked her why our room wasn't cleaned despite our request, she just said that the housekeeping staff were told about it. She stated that the management will be informed about housekeeping staff's failure to do the task and apologized. On our last day, no housekeeping staff came. So all throughout the duration of our stay, our room wasn't attended to. My family and I will never go back to this hotel. I booked months ahead. It was a poor choice.

Room Tip: Good value for your money but get ready to do your own housekeeping.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mang G
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We booked a room 1 week in advance for a business/pleasure trip (2 people) for 3 nights. When we arrived, there was a sign on the front counter stating the pool and hot tub were 'closed until further notice'. First disappointment. Could they not have let us know when we booked? Second disappointment - we were given a room with the incorrect smoking preference and were told this could not be changed as a large crew of workers was given the entire floor. We were bumped to accomodate them. When I asked what the point in making a RESERVATION was, the fellow at the front desk said he didn't know why were were not booked in the proper room. When I asked what they were going to do to make the situation right, we were told there was nothing he could do. When I asked if they were planning on giving us a discount, we were told we were already paying the lowest rate available. We left and thankfully found a different hotel but it was tight. It's almost impossible to find a hotel in Hinton in the summer over a weekend (on such short notice).

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Marleylips
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This place was great! The staff was super friendly always giving us a nice greeting and the room was perfectly cleaned. It was just so comfy and relaxing there,I honestly wish I could live there. The room provided everything beautifully and it was worth every cent staying there.

• Stayed August 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

A real charmer. They treat you like one of the family and even allow you to bring your pets when you stay. They are friendly, and very helpful. The rooms are clean and the beds very comfortable. I will continue to stay here on all my Hinton trips, and you should do the same!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family