“Can't wait to go back!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hinton
Rocky Mountain Escape Cabins
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I am embarrassed to say that this review is long overdue, but even though we had the pleasure of staying at the Cabins in Oct of 2011 it is still fresh in our minds. I finally today, managed to post pictures of our wonderful trip for one of our fantastic tour guides, who we manage to keep in touch with. This reminided me that I never did post a review on here and wanted to share our experience for those thinking of booking here. We had an amazing time at the cabins!!! My boyfiend and I, now my husband, were looking for a nice get away from our busy working lives and we found the perfect escape. We love to quad and were looking for a cabin to rent near Hinton so we could ride the sand dunes. Little did we know that the place we picked to stay would be the highlight of our little gettaway. We were impressed right from the start, the long windy road that leads you to this little gem nestled beneath trees and peaks. To the cute cozy cabins with wood burning stove to keep us warm. It was love at first site! Laura and her staff went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed our stay. From a safe place to park our quads, the bountiful meals, to even offering me a pair of her hiking shoes when mine were bothering me. To wake up from a peaceful sleep in this secluded hideaway, enjoy a delicious breakfast made by Laura on a beautiful wood burning stove, and venture off onto our hike which starts in her back yard. She even prepares you snacks to bring along your hike, I can still remember the taste of the delicous trail mix. We also loved having her pets around to great us and stand post on our deck as we were missing our own fur babies. Every element of our trip was beyond what we imagined. We were there over the Thanksgiving weekend but definately did not miss out on Thanksgiving dinner. Laura cooked a fantastic meal with all the fixings on the wood burning stove/oven! I would recomend Rocky Moutain Escape Cabins to all those who want to do exactly that...escape :) Thank you for our wonderful experience. We will be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

We arrived Friday afternoon at the resort and were greeted not only by Leo and Molly but also a warm cabin with the fire already started and waiting for us. After unpacking we headed for supper where we got aquatinted with 2 other great couples and were served an incredible supper of roast beef with mashed potatoes and baked vegetables, all cooked in a wood stove and served with pretty much any kind of wine you choose. And I can't forget about dessert, it was my birthday and my wife had told Laura that ahead I time and she was sure to make my favourite dessert plus had others for everyone to choose from, talk about going the extra mile !!
After relaxing for the rest of the night in the toasty warm cabin we got a good night sleep and headed for breakfast in the morning, I will say you will be spoiled staying at this place, fruit, bacon, eggs cooked however you wish, toast also any kind you choose, it's really amazing how accommodating things are here.
After breakfast we headed up the mountain via snowshoes (provided) and led by a very eager and helpful Molly. Also it should be mentioned that Laura provides sandwiches, trail mix, snack bars and juice for dinner on the trail or whatever you plan to do during the day.After returning from the mountain climb and a brief rest at the cabin we ventured out on a 7km x-country ski, once again ski's, boots and poles provided and Laura and her son Chris even waxed the ski's for us. This trip was led by Leo.
We returned just in time for supper, wine and conversation, this time we were treated to a delicious shrimp and chicken stir fry and incredible dessert.
After breakfast Sunday morning we all headed out and get this, Laura again had prepared sandwiches and trail mix with goodies and drinks for the drive home, talk about going above and beyond, that is truly service you will not find any place else.
This was personally my first time here and I will be returning, it was the second time for my wife and she is already anxious to go back.
We can assure you that this place provides the best "getaway" experience you can hope for, secluded, quiet, clean, amazing service. I would say you will pay twice as much at most "getaways", for half the hospitality.
Did I mention that fresh spring water is provided in each cabin? Amazing.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank HeathandPam
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Occasionally we travel and have places that we stay that are so special that you wonder if you should actually tell the world they exist..... or just keep them to yourself! Rocky Mountain Escape is one of those amazing places. Laura runs the most unique, inspiring, and spectacularly beautiful accommodation we're likely to encounter, and our 4 nights were the highlight of our 4 week holiday through Canada and Alaska. The cabin was cosy, and wonderfully spacious enough for us and our 2 young boys, and it was impeccably clean. It was fairytale stuff - surrounded by snow and pine trees, birds twittering away and snow bunny footprints everywhere to track. We slid down snowy slopes on the crazy carpet, we snow-shoed, we attempted snow-men (more like snow blobs in the powdery snow!), we pulled the kids around on sleds, tried cross country skiing (and fell over lots!) and had a wonderful time. Laura stuffed us full of incredible food, and shared stories and knowledge with us, inspiring our kids with descriptions of wildlife and their poo (hilarious to 2 small boys!) and footprints to look out for. We are not 'roughing it' travellers - the idea of camping makes me cringe - but this is NOTHING like roughing it. Completely unique. Can't recommend staying with Laura highly enough. When we return to Canada in the future we will structure our holiday around returning to the wonderful cabins at Rocky Mountain Escape. Thankyou Laura (and Molly and Leo too!!!)

Room Tip: All 3 cabins are set apart from one another - they're lovely and private, and beautifully presen...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SkyeGaff
Reviewed 25 November 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at the Rocky Mountain Escape Cabins and had a great time. Laura, the owner/cook/guide of RME was really accomodating with dietary restrictions. Although she can be quiet, Laura has many stories about other visitors, life in the backcountry, and all kinds of other things. Her dogs, Molly and Leo, were also great hosts who came along on showshoe hikes with us.

The cabins are located in a beautiful valley with great views of the stars (if there are no clouds, of course) and the surrounding hills and valleys. Laura took us on a short trip down to Rock Lake, where we did some cross-country skiing. It was my wife's first time and she really enjoyed herself. It was nice not having to bring all of my own equipment, deal with waxing the skis, etc, since Laura had it all there and ready to go. We only had time for a quick snowshoe but there were a few trail options (we were already tired from skiing that morning!). We enjoyed relaxing in the cabins with the crackling wood stove and big picture windows.

The cabins are beautifully built. They keep the heat even on winter nights (I didn't even have to get up to stoke the fire until I was ready to get up in the morning). My wife was happy about the hot and cold running water and I was excited about the wood stove.

The food was amazing. We're vegetarian (we eat fish, eggs, and dairy, though) and Laura stuffed us full of delicious food. One night we had a baked salmon with a dill sauce, a rice medly, asparagus, and dessert cakes. The other night she prepared falafal, grilled vegetables, and potatoes, again with dessert. We had wine at each dinner, too! We were stuffed well before dessert came, but we found room anyway. Breakfasts were eggs and toast one day and potato fritters and pancakes the second day. Each breakfast included fruit, juice, tea, or coffee. For our days, Laura had prepared take along lunches with sandwiches, GORP, cookies, rice krsipies treats, chocolate, and juice to go.

Things to know before you go:
The tap and shower water smells a bit sulphery (by the second day we didn't really notice it), but is fantastic for hair and skin! Of course Laura provides the best mountain spring water for drinking!
Solar power drives the cabin lights (horray!), but if you need to charge batteries, etc. you'll have to do it in the morning or evening, since the 120V runs on a generator. It's no trouble if you plan accordingly. Plus, you're in the back country.. enjoy being out there!
A 4-x-4 vehicle is recommended, but Laura was great at advising us of road conditions and accomodating us even without a 4-x-4 vehicle.

And the most important tip for your trip: your stay will end before you want it to! I'd suggest deciding on the number of days you want to go, and then double that number.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott J
Reviewed 10 November 2012

There aren't enough superlatives to describe how much we enjoyed our August 2012 stay at Rocky Mountain Escape. The wilderness setting and the staff's hospitality combined made this the best part of our trip west to Idaho and then north through the Canadian Rockies. The cabins were cozy, comfortable and clean, the scenery on our guided hikes was spectacular, and the meals included in the cost of the stay were marvelous. The owner was a treasury of information and tales of the surrounding wilderness and wildlife, and her helpers were friendly with interesting stories of their own. I would love to return during the winter season for snow-shoeing or cross-country skiing.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan A
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Stayed 4 nights as part of our roadtrip.
Super and snug cabin accommodation.
We were treated to the most delicious food in the cookhouse, Laura (proprietor), Becky and Susan looked after us brilliantly. We loved our stay here - especially the guided hikes (so informative and showing things that we probably would have walked straight past) Take advantage of hiking out, fantastic scenery and lots of interesting sights, also, do try the 'bum sliding' down the slopes - its great fun (even though my hiking trousers didn't quite survive the experience!)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank globe28
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My wife Monica and I visited Rocky Mountain Escape for eight days and had an unforgettable experience. We are still glowing from our time there. This is a real wilderness experience while enjoying roomy and comfortable cabins, fabulous and plentiful food, guided hikes, and wonderful hospitality. I felt like I was a "naturalist in training" as I learned more about the flora and fauna of the Rockies while having a ton of fun. Laura and her staff couldn't do enough to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. I really think that Rocky Mountain Escape is a truly unique experience. I don't know of another like it. If you're looking for a true wilderness experience while still enjoying creature comforts like warm cabins, great meals, and friendly companionship then Rocky Mountain Escape should be at the top of your list.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DrDaveWalsh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinton
Overlander Mountain Lodge
Ramada Hinton
Ramada Hinton
#4 of 17 in Hinton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hinton

Been to Rocky Mountain Escape Cabins? Share your experiences!