“Little House on the Prairie!”
Review of KOA Hinton/Jasper

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hinton
KOA Hinton/Jasper
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights on my 7 week road trip across Canada & the U.S.
After staying at the Edmonton Holiday Inn the previous two nights I thought I would get back to nature and try this place. Had a tent in the car but opted instead for one of the $69.00 cabins.
Kind of like little house on the prairie but with cable TV and heater for those cold nights.
Very close to the hexagon shaped outdoor camping kitchen with stovetop burners and sinks to cook your breakfast and even dinner later on if you want to. Only a short walk to the showers and laundry facilities...very clean inside with on site wifi that worked although a little on the slow side.
I used this as my base for the short drive into Jasper National Park and then back to my log cabin each night. Fantastic views of the Canadian Rockies nearby and also the most incredible double rainbow I've ever seen in my life! All in all a good experience here at KOA!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Mike H
There are newer reviews for KOA Hinton/Jasper

Reviewed 1 August 2012

We are staying in Jasper/Hinton KOA for 2 weeks as we have things booked in Jasper. I found the staff at check in, business like, not very friendly. The campsite is nice, too open for us though. No trees, nice mountain view, no privacy. All amenities, and very clean. It is about 45 min to Jasper, which is not a problem. We were placed way in the back of the campsite, and asked if we could move sites closer to the park for the kids. We were told this was NOT possible as they have sites reserved for people. The attitude I got was not pleasant, just a straight NO!!! I get that spots are reserved, but when you reserve, you do NOT get to pick your site so I don't understand why we couldn't move as the people who are coming in are here for one to two nites, and most without children. We are here for two weeks. Every morning the campsite empties, and there are lots of spots closer to the park.
We wanted to stay right in the park, but couldn't get a site so we choose this one. Looked great online!!
No fire's on your site, community fire pit which is on the other side of the campsite from us. Don't like the hook ups in the middle of our 'yard space' That isn't pleasant, when you are cooking and eating outside.
We would not stay here for extended periods of time again. A nite or two would be alright if you had to.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank slttj
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We stayed in the smaller cabins. They were excellent value ($79/night) and equipped with heat, power and a tv. We did have to bring our own bedding. We've stayed at KOA's in the US, and this one has much more room between sites. It is in an open field so they aren't very private, but you have nice views of the mountains in the distance. The washrooms and showers are exceptionally clean. There are no firepits, but there is a central area that has a "community" firepit. You are centrally located, perfect if you want to check out Miette Hot Springs or William Switzer Provincial Park off Hwy 40. A little bit of a drive to Jasper, but it is much more affordable here than in Jasper Park. We found the place to be well managed and immaculate. The cabins are also pet friendly.

Room Tip: The larger cabins have washrooms for roughly $50/night more.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank revwarfan
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This campground is as field-like as it gets, essentially a wide open space with lots of sites. Despite arriving late, we received a very friendly welcome, and everything except the Wifi was in good shape and working well. It was good to end a long day with a hot shower, and the shower/washroom building was spacious and clean. Their "Jasper/Hinton" name is a bit misleading: it's a good hour's drive in an RV from Jasper to the ground. But the drive was great with lots of wildlife, and the location is also not far from several supermarkets to stock up on groceries.

One thing they might want to do, though, is increase the level of security. To have two hitchikers who have just walked in from the nearby road knock on your RV door around midnight and ask whether we could help them pay for a tent spot was not my favourite experience. And, given that you can't lock the shower building from the inside (just the individual stalls), the realisation that anybody who had just walked into the grounds might be standing there as I got out of the shower made me feel less than safe. Other campgrounds hand out keys to the shower building, and KOA Hinton might want to consider that, too.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Pottgirl
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We tented here the August long weekend. We hadn't camped in a long time and it was a great way to get back into it. The bathrooms were always clean and the had free hot showers. My husband nor I ever had to wait for a shower. The covered cook house and fire pit was our refuge in the rain a couple times. Met some great people. One recopmmemded a day trip to Jarvis Lake, about 15 min north on Hwy 40 to Grande Cache. It is beautiful there. So glad we too this trip.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dharmaloo
Reviewed 16 August 2010

A group of 6 of us (all adults) were up in Alberta visiting Jasper National Park in late July 2010, and it ended up being a convenient, cheap and comfortable place to eat and spend the night when we got pack from hiking in the park. We rented a 6-person cabin for 5 nights, and were satisfied with the services, by and large.

The landscape:

The campground is in a quiet meadow with spectacular views of the mountains, but little to no forestation. Because our cabin was at the western end of the lot with only a horse pasture and the mountains in the distance, the placement was idyllic and very quiet. Hinton was close enough so that groceries were convenient, but far enough (about 4 km) so that the town disappeared into the distance on the road, and the campground had more a remote feel about it. Travelling on the highway in the other direction led to Jasper National Park, which was our main goal. The distance was moderate, and we never complained about driving at least half an hour to reach any trail heads or attractions in the park.

The cabin:

We were a little bit surprised at the size of the cabin. The photo we saw on the internet was taken through a wide-angle lens to capture the entire den, but at the same time gave an illusory image of the room that made it seem much larger than reality. Even so, the cabin has enough room for exactly 6 people to sleep in, which was our primary concern. My only cautionary note is that the bunk beds are rather small for a moderately tall guy to sleep in (I'm 6'2") and a better option would be sleeping outside in a tent, especially in the summer time when the weather is right.

There is no cooking allowed in the cabin, and we had to bring all of our own utensils and cookware with us. There is a barbeque grill outside with a small burner, so it's still possible to make soup, coffee, tea etc, but remember that the cabin has no microwave available. Besides that, everything is just like at home--warm water, 2 televisions if you get really bored, lighting, and very effective climate control (because the cabin is so small, it's very easy to either warm it up or cool it down). Despite all this, we spent the majority of our time outside relaxing on the grass by the picnic table.

Campground amenities:

Everything was in place at the campsite, including laundry, cooking stations, showers and even an arcade. My only complaint about the establishment was that the WiFi was inaccessible. Normally, it wouldn't bother me since I don't plan on using the internet while on vacation, but in this situation I had some work that followed me to Jasper and required that I send some work to my office on our first day. This would have been simple if the internet connection was consistent, but despite a strong WiFi signal, there was no reliable service. I tried two computers and a handheld device to gain access, but none of them could connect for more than a few seconds to the complimentary KOA wifi network. I checked back throughout the time that we were there, but had no luck in connecting, so I ended up using a WiFi connection in Hinton to get the work done. It's possible that the system was down for the week, but it's also likely that the "free WiFi" icon on the website is mostly symbolic, so get your work done early if you can!

Besides these minor notes, I was very satisfied with our stay, and because I was primarily concerned with seeing the park, I didn't spend a lot of time around the campground. It's a very comfortable and pleasant place to stay, and the price was a lot more agreeable than anything in the town of Jasper.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank KubaTS
Reviewed 2 March 2009

I've stayed here twice, in August 2006 and Sept. 2007. Both times I was on my way to Edmonton and needed a place to stop to break up the trip. I wasn't in it for serious camping; I just needed a place to sleep that wasn't the side of the highway. Both times I camped in the back of my car and enjoyed the park amenities (showers, full restrooms, etc.) in the morning. The staff were very friendly and accomodating and I'll definately return should I have a need in the future.

Be warned that this park is basically in Hinton. If you're planning to stay here and sightsee Jasper it's going to be a bit of a commute. The location was never a problem for me as I was heading east anyways. Hinton is a full-service town with lots of little diners for breakfast and fast food.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo