“Multi-pitch Climbing Course - Amazing.”

Yamnuska Mountain Adventures - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: We are Canada's premier mountain school and mountain guiding company. located in Canmore, Alberta we offer ice climbing, rock climbing, mountaineering, skiing and avalanche courses. We do day trips as well as multi day programs.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Multi-pitch Climbing Course - Amazing.”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My friends and I recently participated in Yamnuska's new multi-pitch climbing course in Canmore. Everything about this course was excellent, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in getting into multi-pitch climbing. Our guide, Jason Billing, was a wonderful instructor, and by the end of the two-day course we felt very confident that we could begin to tackle some 5.9/5.10 pitches in the rockies. If you take this course, I would recommend having had some lead climbing and rappelling experience so that you can spend less time on the basics of climbing and more time on the logistics of multi-pitch. Happy climbing!

Visited June 2014

Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yamnuska - Bow To Yoho - Backcountry Ski Traverse”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

6 days traverse from Bow to Yoho, with lots of backcountry skiing. One night at Bow Hut, one night camp, three nights at Stanley Mitchell Hut. This is a challenging trip, especially with the forecasted avalanche conditions.
The Yamnuska guides (Jesse and Craig) were exceptional, it’s fair to say that the trip exceeded my expectations. I will definitely go in more trips organized and guided by Yamnuska.

1 Thank hbradau
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ice evolution course”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I did the 5 day Ice evolution course and it was awesome. The course was adapted and tailored to our skill level as a group. I got more than I expected out of the course and am really happy with where my skills have progressed. Our guide Brent was fantastic and did an excellent job of selecting climbs and areas that were not hotspots for crowds. We almost always had the entire crag to ourselves. Fantastic experience.

Calgary, Canada
“Amazing - ALWAYS!”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Did two courses this year with Yamuska - AST1 and Intro to Ski Touring. I left both feeling full of info and confidence. The guides (Allison, Dave and Grant) not only gave us all the information we needed to know but facilitated a critical environment essential to talking about avalanche safety skill sets. Risk assessment was at the forefront of both courses allowing the group to think about how they would carry out a day of skiing on their own no matter the avalanche risk and hazard. The knowledge I gained from these 3 experienced guides didn't only just apply to my winter and snow activities but my summer adventures as well. These courses are experiences I will never forget. I was so beyond impressed with what I gained that I have been telling everybody how important it is to make sure they take the quality courses Yamnuska offers. I can't wait to take my AST 2 next year in the Roger's Pass.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Lindsay N
Perth, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Beginner Experiential Ice Climbing”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My Husband and went on the Beginners Ice Climbing day tour at the Junkyards. Our guide was Carl, who was awesome!

I was really scared doing this, so much so that I didn't sleep properly the night before! However, I will say Carl was great in encouraging me and supporting me through climbing up the ice. I really appreciated this, it made me feel a lot more comfortable. His patience and support filled me with more confidence. My husband made it all the way to the top and even did some of the steeper climbs. Carl was really great in giving us tips on what to do, what paths to take up the ice etc.

Even if you are afraid don't let that get in the way, you do what you can, and there are a variety of climbing options (where we were at the junkyards) it had both steep and more subtle inclines. This was great for myself and my husband because he was a lot better than me!

It was pretty icy on the ground the day we went, and it even rained a bit before it started snowing, so we got really wet. Definitely wear water proof gear, if you have more than one pair of water proof gloves, take them, seriously, take them! We only had the one pair, and although they were ok, they were soaked by the time we got back and my hand were pretty cold as a result. Wear layers, it is warm climbing but can get pretty chilly when you are belaying.

Take some water and some granola bars, it is pretty exhausting and good to have the food and water. If you want, take a thermos with some tea, we didn't but it was a warmish day for winter (by canadian standards). If it had been colder the warm drink would have been nice to warm up with.

Overall, amazing day, awesome guide, we both had a wicked time. Would definitely recommend it if you want to get into ice climbing, or looking for a new adventure sport. Thanks very much Carl and Yamnuska Mountain Adventures!