“Front Desk needs a crash course in manners”

Stoneridge Mountain Resort by CLIQUE
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Canmore
New York City, New York
“Front Desk needs a crash course in manners”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

Where do I start - A stare down by a front desk representative (he gave his name as Eric) or him asking me rather rudely if I expected him to build be a suite in 10 minutes so I would be happy! Wow! some class!

Ours was a long anticipated & planned family reunion weekend (after 7 years). We were really looking forward to fun and relax. My sister is very organized and booked online over 2 months in advance for 2 two bedroom + den units. The three bedrooms and above were not available at the time of booking or when we visited (May 11th 2012). We followed up with a couple of phone calls and were told that they do not assign rooms till we show up. We showed up May 12th afternoon and Eric at the front desk was checking us in. He assigned us two units, one on each end of the isle (about 10 rooms apart)!!! I explained this was a family reunion and we prefer either a large suite or two closer units. He said that's how the floor plans were and there was nothing he could do. I asked why do they assign rooms so far apart even though they were under one booking and one person. He said it's common. He has not had complaints from anyone else so far and people are always happy. He went on to make a cocky statement "I am doing such a great job by giving you two units on the same floor. It could have been a lot worse". I had to remind him any feedback is primarily from the customer not from one's biased opinion. That's when i got a stare down. I did not want to ruin the vacation so I turned around and walked away. He kept engaging me by saying "Did you expect me to build you a custom suite in 10 minutes right next to one to make you happy?" I knew this conversation was getting very ugly so I asked for his manager. "There is no manager on site today!" was his rude response. I continued to keep my cool and asked him to write down his name, his manager's name and the time the manager would be in. He gave his manager's name as Natasha and his name as Eric. Since we were new to town, we had limited options, so we signed up ($647 for a 3 day stay per room).

The next morning Natasha called my room (without me prompting) and said she heard of the incident and offered to move us to the 4th floor. Natasha was extremely courteous and professional. We already started our planned activities so packing up our stuff and moving to a different floor very difficult given our extremely short and tight schedule. Natasha even offered to move the packed fridge to the new floor but all she asked us to do is pack our bags and the staff would move them. At the time we were ready for a hiking trip and it would be a good two hours to clear up and move and unpack, so we couldn't accept the offer. Other than that, the rooms were well kept, other staff were very courteous and helpful. Great location and good amenities. Natasha said she would address the issue of Eric's behaviour. The fact that a rouge employee / representative got this far in the employment / representation process baffles me. I hope they see value in being courteous and respectful to customers - after all this is a customer oriented business.

Mike P.

4 Thank mikep-usa
StoneRidge_Resort, General Manager at Stoneridge Mountain Resort by CLIQUE, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Mike P,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the trip Advisor Community. We pride ourselves on our customer service and our ability to create positive and memorable Rocky Mountain experiences. Please accept my apology on behalf of Eric for any misunderstanding that may have occurred during your check in. Eric receives many positive comments and accolades from our guests, and he never intended to offend you.
I am pleased to learn that Natasha contacted you the following morning and went above and beyond to accommodate your special request for rooms that were closer together. We always try our utmost to have families/groups in rooms as close together as we can, and occasionally this is not possible based on the type of room booked.
Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us and the TA community. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Stoneridge Mountain Resort the next time that you are in the Canmore area.
Edward Keenan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

This was our 2nd stay (1st stay experience was posted previously).

We got a very large top floor, 1 bedroom, 1 den suite for us and our 2 kids:
-Exceptionally clean
-Well furnished
-Comfortable
-Quiet
-Kids loved it
-We loved it

Only complaint:
-Sofa Bed. My god. Please get something comfier! My 6 yo son and I were both complaining!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

My husband and I recently had the opportunity to experience this resort for the first time. We loved the resort-especially the staff. They were incredibly friendly and personable. The cleaning staff went above and beyond each day.
We were also impressed with the suite-the layout was fabulous, the kitchen gorgeous (and well stocked with cooking utensils), and the bed was a dream. If the mountains had not been calling us, I think we would have just stayed in our gorgeous suite.

Room Tip: Be sure to try and book a suite on the top floor-the vaulted ceilings are incredible. And don't...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jillybean238
North Battleford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

This is a very nice resort. The room is stocked with modern appliances in the kitchen, complete with soft close cupboard doors and drawers. The quality of the craftsmanship is clearly evident and is a sign of the concern for the comfort of its guests. Even the toilet in the master ensuite is a quiet flush and both toilets have soft-close lids. Very thoughtful and evidence that the unit was built of quality material. Our room overlooked the courtyard area and the pool. Since we were on the 3rd floor we also had a clear view of the snow-capped mountains. The weather was nice enough for us to enjoy the BBQ and the evening air. A very nice resort. The staff were friendly. Check-in and check-out were easy and the cleaning staff were very thorough and inobtrusive. We'll book here again the next time we are going to Canmore. Oh yes, and the pay in advance price for this King Executive suite is well worth the money- a deal IMHO.
The fact there is no restaurant might be an issue for some. We didn't mind going out for some meals and the rooms have all the conveniences for an at home meal.
Must say that we made the reservations through Annette who was very friendly, accommodating and efficient. We moved our reservations from one weekend to the next and added a day. She was eager to do what she could to accommodate us. We asked for a room with a view of the mountains and she managed that for us as well.
It all made for a memorable visit.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

This was my second visit and this time with my mom for a nice little Mother's Day Getaway for which we took the spa package. My mother just loved it and I am back there in 2 weeks for my husband's birthday. The quality/price is really great! We had a meal at the Iron Goat and a massage at Azzuro. We really enjoyed this restaurant - it's a must. As for the massage, I would pass. The 1 hour massage was shortened to 45 minutes and I wonder if they are really registered as it was low-quality. But other than the massage, I rate my experience 10/10! Just LOVE this place! :-)

1 Thank StephCdn
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

This was our second visit as a couple to StoneRidge. Since it was our anniversary we thought we would upgrade to a Mountain View room. We were disappointed with the "view" as it was ground level and was obstructed by a giant telephone pole as we gazed into the base of the mountain. We switched rooms because we didn't think it was worth the cost of the upgrade. Surprisingly the view from our new room was much nicer - mountains in the distance, trees, and the pool! If you are going to book a mountain view room, I'd suggest requesting a 3rd or 4th floor room. Otherwise, our stay was great.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Naomi R
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

The place itself is beautiful-lovely light and incredible views from either side of the building. Heated pool and a hot tub are fantastic. The not as good? Sure, they may sound petty but the noise from the heat/cold air "machine" in the room sounds like an airport. Trying to increase or decrease the heat? You need to be a rocket scientist! What happened to a simple on/off button? The fold out couch bed was seriously uncomfortable-and yes, I get it-they are always pretty bad but this was the worst. If you book make sure you either don't factor that in as a place for people to sleep or you have enough wine so you don't care! It is a really lovely spot and if you get the right front desk staff you'll have a great experience.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canmore
Falcon Crest Lodge by CLIQUE
#11 of 29 in Canmore
Grande Rockies Resort
Grande Rockies Resort
#19 of 29 in Canmore

Been to Stoneridge Mountain Resort by CLIQUE? Share your experiences!