“Would never stay here again”

Quality Resort Chateau Canmore
Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Canmore
Red Deer
“Would never stay here again”
Reviewed 1 January 2010

The hotel was clean and the beds were comfortable, however I found the service was terrible. We brought our 2 dogs with us and everytime we walked past the front desk they would ask us what room we were staying in. It made me feel uncomfortable and like I was doing something wrong.
Also, when I booked the hotel I was looking for only 2 amenities. It had to be pet-friendly and I wanted a jacuzzi in the suite . I called the hotel directly to book a room as I wanted to ensure there was no size limit on pets and also to confirm they have jacuzzi suites. I didn't want anything to go wrong. I spoke with the girl at the front desk and she confirmed "a jacuzzi suite with king size bed with 2 pets for 1 night". It was going to be a perfect night.
When we checked in, and got our things to the room there was no jacuzzi in the suite. I called to the front desk to inquire and they said they have no jacuzzi's in any suite. I told them what the girl told me when I booked the room and they said "I must have misunderstood. We only have jetted tubs". Well that's a huge difference between a jacuzzi and a jetted tub (which we tried anyway and it didn't even work). Needless to say it put a damper on the trip (which was supposed to be a birthday celebration for my boyfriend).
I don't want this review to sound like someone complaining about not getting their way, but it was very frusterating as I wanted this night to be perfect (well as perfect as it could be). I called a month in advance to book this and put a lot of thought into it.
One last thing that frusterated me was we brought our 2 dogs (1 big, 1 small) and they put us on the top floor (the 4th floor) on the far side of the hotel from the elevator. So when we had to take them outside for a potty break we had to travel through a large group of people that let their kids run rampent in the hallways and get both dogs excited and walk the lengh of the hotel, wait for the elevator (which wasn't very quick) all the while trying to keep the dogs calm and keep the kids away. I've stayed at other hotels with my pets and they usually put you on the first or second floor near the elevator so you can get in and out quickly. They were not able to move us as all the rooms were booked.

Thanks for reading. The hotel itself was clean and the loft room was ok, but not worth the $200+ we spent for it. Will go somewhere else for sure next time!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lizsnell5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while exploring Banff. The hotel is about 20-25 minutes drive to Banff. Located on a major street, but had no issue with noise or with the nearby railway. Only complaints we have is that there is no breakfast offered and there is a charge to use the computer. Would probably stay at a different hotel next time.

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank Techboy
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed 12 January 2009

Stayed at Chateau Canmore for a Hockey Tournament in January. The staff was great ,quick check in, didn't complain about the kids being kids. The Hockey Arena is very close by. Boston Pizza is with in walking distance. The rooms we stayed in was spacious for the price. The only down fall is the size of the pool, it's very small. I would definatly stay at Chateau Canmore again.

• Liked — Size of the room
  • Disliked — Size of the pool
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Hawk69
canada
Reviewed 15 December 2008

This was our 2nd trip to the Quality Canmore and we enjoyed every minute of it, just as we did last year.

Check in was a breeze, the front desk staff were friendly and helpful.
Our room was clean, comfortable and nice. I enjoy the jetted tub in the bathroom and the fireplace. I guess the only downside was that when we arrived the heat was not on (I think it was about -10 Celcius outside when we arrived) so it did take a little while to warm up. The heater in the room, however, is really powerful.
We love the loft bedroom and 2 tv's in the unit as well.
The railway noise was barely noticeable, it is not of concern to me but yes, at the back of the hotel there is a rail line. The only time I heard it was when we had the window open because we turned the heat up too high and had to cool down the room.

We cannot wait to make our 3rd trip next December and although we shopped around for another hotel, this one is best value for money and great location to leave the town onwards to Banff.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Slow elevator
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunflower7829
Lubbock, TX
Reviewed 31 July 2008

Had an enjoyable stay at the Quality Resort Chateau. The check in went smoothly, and the staff friendly and knowledgeable. We were very pleased with the room. We had a king size bed and a small sitting room with a sofa and air conditioning. The room had a small fridge, microwave and coffeemaker. The room was clean, the shower had good water pressure and suitable for tall adults. The staff provided maps of the area and gave us directions for restaurants. There was coffee and tea in the lobby. A train runs through Canmore but we were not disturbed by any of the train sounds. Check out went smoothly. Would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank divisu
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2008

We made a last minute decision to tour the Canadian Rockies on our recent trip to Western Canada so I used Hotwire to select a room for two days out. I was a bit skeptical about this hotel based on the reviews but I ended up very pleased. For the Hotwire rate of $153 we received a large suite with a kitchenette and two double beds. The room was very clean, comfortable, up-to-date and spacious. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank luvs2run27
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2008

We booked a loft suite for a very special rate of 132$, which was outstanding value considering it was a long holiday weekend and al other hotels pretty much touched rack rates.
The suite was very spacious, with a king size bed on the upper loft. Interior design was ok, but doesn't win a prize. The suite looked quite used, the sofa cushion was ripped on one side and the carpet had several stains on them. It had a gas fire place and spectacular Mountain View. The kitchenette consisted of a microwave, fridge and small sink. Glassware was provided, but no plates or cutlery, which could be obtained at the reception (paper plates and cutlery, just to mention!)
The bathroom was rather small, compared to the size of the suite, but well equipped. The jetted tub was exactly as described, a tub with 4 jets! Unfortunately it was just big enough for 1 person.
The amenities were ok, however.
The bedroom loft was very warm, the king size bed comfy enough. It is beyond my understanding why both luggage racks are on the upper area, I highly doubt that anyone schlepps his luggage up the very narrow staircase. There is more than enough room on the main level.
The lower AC was extremely noisy and had to be shut down. The upper window unit (minus the window) was ok, but there are quieter options available right now. The sofa and 1 chair had nails sticking out the back which could lead to accidents.
I highly appreciate the fact that a full TV listing was available without restrictions as common in many hotels these days.

The train noise as mentioned by other reviewers was not too apparent on Saturday and Sunday, but train traffic increased drastically on the Monday and may be bothersome for the light or long sleeper.

As for the hotel itself, the location in Canmore is convenient. Parking down the back is awkward as the parking lot is very narrow and buses and large pick-ups may block the driveway.
A big issue is the 1 elevator which is used by guests and staff at the same time. The place has only 4 floors but the stairs are at one end of the long building and closed during the day. There is a second elevator tucked away at the end of the building whose existence is not immediately clear or labeled. It’s quite a jog away down the hallway!
Just to mention, staff were friendly and professional.

I can recommend the hotel for a no-frills stay. It has some decent facilities like pool, spa and restaurant in a central location. I will stay again for a similar rate, however for anything higher or even rack rate, it is not worth the money. A review for the restaurant can be found separately

• Liked — Size, special rate, convenient location
  • Disliked — Elevator, parking, noisy AC
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple