“Hope this place stays around for a while”

Rocky Mountain Ski Lodge
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Canmore
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Although this is an older hotel it's good to see that it's kept up well. We stayed in the one bedroom kitchen unit and it was in great condition. The kitchen was stocked with everything we could think of - toaster, coffee maker, utensils, dishes, cups, even a dish rag and dish soap. I'm cheap so it was great to be able to eat our own breakfast and prepare our lunches for day trips around Banff.

The playground and barbeque grills were also in great condition and in use during our stay. When I smelled the food someone was cooking on the grill and saw my kids and others playing on the playground it made me feel lucky I'd chosen to stay there. We ate dinner outside our 1st floor room on a picnic table in the middle of the grass and enjoyed the scenery, including some squirrels who peeked out from under the patio and squeaked at us.

Regarding another post about carpet smell and noise: our room seemed okay - everything was clean and didn't smell (to me.) There was a kind of creaking sound, maybe from an a/c unit or something, but nothing too bad. I always bring earplugs wherever I sleep, anyway. I was worried about noise as we were on the 1st floor, but surprisingly it was not that bad. Again this was in the one bedroom + kitchen units closest to the road, maybe other units are noisier.

Friendly service, clean, well-kept rooms and facilities at a decent price. This is the kind of place I hope stays around for a long time.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 August 2011

I would highly recommend this hotel for the budget traveller. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with a very handy kitchenette and the staff are extremely friendly and eager to help and give advise about the area. Best of all, the rates are very cheap considering the average price for saying in that area. I will defiitely be back.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

I stay here often. Simple, clean and inexpensive. Nice options for suites with small kitchens. A great place to stay in Canmore.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2011

the place is clean and it had all the basics in working condition to have a good stay in mountains, the beds were good, showers recently renovated, the front desk staff is very friendly, professional and friendly. The location is also good, close to safeway and many restaurants. However, two things to consider if you are planning to stay at this place: the smell and the high turn over rate. Even though the rooms are non-smoking, our place had a horrible smell: a mixture of smoke, sweat, old and humid. The worst was bending over to put on the shoes, the carpet smell was really bed. The management should really put some effort into replacing those stinky old carpets. And, most people stay at this place for one night only so every morning at around 6 am you start hearing the noise of moving furniture, luggage, slammed doors, loud talking etc. The suites are small and really close to each other so it gets really noisy early in the morning. Even though the place has a playground right in the centre that is very convenient if you have small kids, I would not recommend this place to people with young children, just too much smoking and the carpets are too old for the little guys to crawl inside the rooms.

Reviewed 11 August 2011

If we are in the mountains and close to you than we always stay in rocky mountain ski logde. We are very enjoying to stay with you. We often go for hike. and the atmosphare in your lodge, we just love it. Its like our sec. home :). Last year sommer our family from Germany were visiting us and we stood with you too . And they just said:" its so beautifull here". Thank you so much for being you. Just do the thing like you always did. And there can be nothing wrong;). Thank you for your mail. And have a wonderful day. See you soon in September2011. We need to order a sleepover from 14. Sep -16 Sep. it's for 2 nights. We maybe can order it right now. We are 2 persons. and just need a one bedroom. Thank you:)

Reviewed 2 June 2011

I stay here around 7 or 8 weeks every spring for business. a couple of weeks ago one of the partons was next door to me with two dogs and had left them alone all night barking and kept me up. the owner the next moring very politely and proffesionally asked them to leave. these people were very rude but the staff stayed proffessional. this place has great staff and clean rooms and the best price. i recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank jamesCarstairs
Reviewed 27 May 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights. Check-in was easy and the staff were very polite. The room was basic but functional. The breakfast at Chez Francois was superb (2-3 minutes away by foot from our accomodation). Our rate was 238 CAD for 2 nights including all taxes and breakfast for 2. No complaints at all !

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple