“Nice Place”

Rocky Mountain Ski Lodge
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Canmore
Reviewed 1 September 2007

We went to the Rocky Montain Ski Lodge one night in August 2007. The lodge is very nice. We had been there previously a couple years ago for a skiing holiday stay. The outside is not 5 stars but adequate. The rooms are very, very spacious and include your own kitchenette with stove, oven, fridge and all the accesories you would need. It is also dog friendly which is great for us but the rooms are super clean. Each room has it own entrance - motel type. There is a large hot tub and great sauna which are especially good in the winter. We stayed in a room with 2 double beds which gave us lots of room for around 110 Canadian dollars, not bad price for Canmore. The Service was great, we even got in early because we were in town early. The Bistro accross the street was good but a little over rated but the creme brulee was to die for. The view is great from outside the room. We love a little cafe type restaurant in Canmore called the Bear Paw which makes it our beer and has a great 7 layer dip!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rjs035

Reviewed 8 August 2007

This being the first time ever being to Canmore, I was unsure of what to expect. The staff was very nice and the property looked nice. The room however smelled very musky, and the housekeepers must have just finished cleaning our room, they were cleaning the room next door, when I went to my room, and there were like 5 bags of garbage around our door that I had to climb over to enter my room. The rooms was older and outdated, and the carpet very dirty and smelly. The bathroom roof was moldy and looked like it could fall on someone in the shower at any moment. If I had to come to Camore again, I would only stay here if I had no other place in the entire town to stay first. Besides that, the location is excellent and the staff is very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2007

RMSL has a great location, right off Highway 1 on the Bow Valley Trail; easy access to Banff National Park and downtown Canmore (including two grocery stores) is a walkable distance. The property was very affordably priced for the shoulder season. Note to light sleepers – you are sandwiched between the highway and a busy two-lane road paralleled by train tracks, so if you’re not used to the sound of passing trains or traffic, you might find it troublesome. We did not.

We had a one bedroom kitchenette unit with a futon couch in the living room – a nice size for three travelling adults. GREAT water pressure in the shower, with plenty of hot water; the bathroom was supplied with sample tolietries AND dispensers at the sink and tub with liquid soap and shampoo. The staff were very helpful when we needed additional kitchenware to accommodate friends over for dinner, and with any other questions we might have. Wireless internet speed was great, and we appreciated the cable tv channels that kept us on top of the changing weather.

The only quibbles we had were with a somewhat uneven futon mattress and a hair dryer that kept overheating at the top setting., but those are very minor. Overall, we were VERY impressed with the property and recommend it highly -- we'll be back!

2  Thank Nondumblond
Reviewed 29 May 2007

We were looking for clean, comfortable and reasonably priced accommodation and this met all of our expectations. The room was basic but clean and functional. The bed was better than expected. I have a bad back and often have trouble sleeping in hotel/motel beds. No problem here as I had a great sleep.

The Lodge is pet friendly and we had convenient access to the dog walking area at the rear of the property. They also have a barbecue for guest use and a decent playground for kids.

I think the thing that I liked best was the extremely detailed guide to the property and local services. The guide included all the relevant information about the Lodge and its services and there was a lot of information about where to eat, golfing, hiking, caving, canoeing, touring, skiing and more. There is information about pet services, emergency services, pubs and shopping.

Their guide was much more informative than any other hotel guide that I have ever seen and even better than the popular series of guides that are available in many locations.

I'll definitely consider staying there on future trips.

1  Thank hydehaven
Reviewed 22 May 2007

My boyfriend and I went to the Rocky Mountain Ski Lodge from May 19th-21st, 2007. When we arrived there we were pleasantly surprised. The front desk upgraded our room from a one bedroom standard to a one bedroom apartment. When we went into our room, we were quite content. We got a really good deal ( pricewise ) and we definitely got what we paid for. Our motel room was clean and quite large. We had a fireplace, kitchen, bathroom and large sized bedroom. The bathroom was quite large and all the amenties were topped up. The bed was large and cozy.

On our first night we discovered that one of the faucets in the kitchen ( cold water ) wasn't working at all. We called the front desk and they promptly fixed it. We also requested housekeeping the next day and they topped up our amenities and even made our bed! The front desk made sure we were satisfied. We even got a later check out ( 11:30 )! I would definitely recommend this hotel to any group/ couples/ singles!

Reviewed 2 December 2006

I made a mistake that I had never made before nor will I ever again. I reserved for a week- but accidentally for one month earlier. When we arrived, 'we' discovered it! They were so helpful to find another location for the one night that they were full and gave us an upgraded loft room for a lower price besides-especially nice since it was Stampede Week ! As it is a winter ski lodge the carpeting was indoor-outdoor and in general needs an updating from the 70's but the beds were fine, 1 1/2 baths(for 2 of us) and a great view of the Three Sisters from our balcony. One hour from Calgary and 20 minutes from Banff was perfect. Quaint downtown Canmore and restaurants and Oh Canada, Eh? dinner show was excellent. All around great value for families, too.

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank M.Remi
Reviewed 22 August 2006

We were going white water rafting (Kootenay River Runners, BC-on the Kicking Horse River-- it was GREAT!!!) and we needed to stay a little closer than Edmonton- so we decided to do a scenic drive through Jasper, the Columbia Icefield, LakeLouise and finally to end up in Canmore. We would've stayed in Golden- but there's major highway construction on the roads there. (AUG2006)

I'm glad we stayed in Canmore though- it's a beautiful little town- Not quite so tourist-y as Banff, so it was quieter- still very scenic, great mountain views. Lots of little shops & restaurants.

Anyhows- back to the room review- i tried to phone their 1800 number , but it was busy so I tried their website- usually, I'm a bit anxious, because I've heard of reservations being lost this way- but it was quick and easy to reserve a room. I originally booked a queen bed- regular room- BUT they automatically upgraded me to the queen room WITH the kitchen- What a great surprise!-- We paid $99/night (we had CAA) and stayed 2 nights.

It was quick and easy to check in. The rooms had the cardlock keys. Parking was right outside our door which made unloading luggage a breeze.

--- The room was SUPER!-- it had the queen bed (very comfy) AND a murphy bed- (like a hideabed, folded up into the wall), and a great kitchen- big fridge w/freezer, dining table, microwave, plentiful plates/supplies. TV worked well, showers were clean, rooms were fairly quiet- there was slight noise from the highway- the view outside of room (it had 2 entrances, a front and a back) was of the ?3 sisters mountain?-- felt like we were staying in a cottage. They also had a really comprehensive info book in the room- listed a whole bunch of restaurants and things to do while in Canmore- Very convenient.

There was also a whirlpool (we didn't have a chance to use-plus we went to the Banff Hotsprings anyways-only about 30min away), playstructure, and a barbeque if you want to cook your own food outside. We say a family out their having a great time cooking and sitting outside on the picnic table. They also had free wireless internet (we didn't bring our computer though)
and a free terminal i think but we didn't use it.

If I had to complain- I guess it would be about the towels--- I don't really trust hotel/motel towels unless they are white... and the ones here were that yellowy-brown colour...

I'd definitely recommend these accomodations- was a good value, good location- would probably be quite nice for a winter stay if you're skiing as well.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple