“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over the long weekend for the Highland Games.

We had four people (two adults and two kids) who all fit comfortably in a one bedroom. A playstation for the kids to use was fantastic and the kitchen was stocked with all the things we would need.

The pool area was a little small, but having a play area for the kids was great.

All in all a great hotel and we would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank JRobokopp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Korean first
North Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed at the Solara in August, and after the terrible 5 days, I decided to write a lengthy letter to the Management. We have finally negotiated a settlement.
Mainly the problems centred around Maintenance. My one bedroom unit had so many issues that a maintenance person was there every day.
The wands for the wooden blinds were either missing or broken. The roof covered deck was always flooded with rainwater. The outdoor barbecue did not work. The ice cube maker in the Fridge did not work. The washing machine ruined my blouse.
In addition, the noise transfer from the unit above was incredible one night...so bad that Security had to be called in.
As far as location and ammenities, I was not impressed. The Resort is located in the middle of condo complexes....nothing pretty about that. There is no restaurant on site...means a drive into Canmore.

Room Tip: This unit was located above the Gate for the underground parking...you could hear the gate everytime...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank 43flutter8
Jean-Francois B, Regional Director at Solara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Good day 43flutter8,

I regret sincerely to read your review but thank you for expressing your comments. As you know, we have had numerous communications in regards to the listed comments you made and offered many solutions in order to provide you satisfaction, even after your stay. After addressing each of your point, you were apparently satisfied. Unfortunately, it seems obvious that it still is not to your satisfaction.

Our resort does not have yet a restaurant inside the property as you mentioned and I can only assume that you agreed to this by reserving at Solara, nothing had changed. We are delighted however to let you know that we will have from next spring a fantastic brand new restaurant for the satisfaction of our guest.

The occasional rain, the location of our resort, the luxury amenities and equipment of each unit (such as frontal washing machine and dryer) are actually the pleasures of each of our guest usually. As you can read from others, our guest appreciate the high level of our units such as 6-jet-massage showers, wine fridges, fireplaces in units, fully equipped gourmet kitchen, granite counters, the high quality of our Spa, ...

Therefore, to the light of your comments and after several proposed solutions, I regret to come to the conclusion that we cannot provide satisfaction to your expectations! We wish you the very best for the future.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed here for a weekend while attending a wedding in town. The hotel is large and modern, we all loved that we got rooms with full kitchens. The only thing I would have changed is a bigger bathroom in the 1 bedroom suit that we were in. I know that the suite sizes vary between one bedrooms.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KikiMira
Jean-Francois B, Regional Director at Solara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Good day KikiMira,

Thank you for your review and very happy that it was, indeed, a great wedding. I certainly met many of your group and everyone seemed to have enjoyed very much their week-end.

The size or I would say "layout" of the different bathrooms varies slightly yes from units to units. The overall size is the same but the layout can appear better upon each personal taste. I do hope at least that our amenities were to your satisfaction.

I thank for your visit at Solara and truly hope that we’ll have the chance to see you once again at Solara in Canmore.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

I recommend it to everyone! Nice rooms, friendly useful staff, amazing view!
We stayed in one bedroom suite on the top floor for 3 night and i had a feeling like its my second home. When im back to Canmore ill stay only in this resort

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank John M
Good day John M,

Thank you for your review and such delighted that you had that feeling of a second home! We certainly aim for this especially through our fantastic team here at Solara, but to be told this is music to our ears and very rewarding; so again thank you.

I truly hope that we’ll have the chance to see you once again at Solara in Canmore. Please let us know the next time you plan to visit us as a valued repeat guest.

Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at the Solara in Canmore, and although I thought the first time was the best, this second time was even better! We had a corner, 2 bedroom suite, and it was awesome!!! Huge! The bedrooms were on either side of the suite with the living room & kitchen in between! Very nice & comfortable, with a nice deck. I will definitely request this room again.
The only complaint I would have is this - it is supposed to be "quiet time" between 11 pm and 8 am, and there was a huge party in one of the suites very close to our suite, and they partied until 5:30 a.m!!!! No rest that night!

Room Tip: The corner suites have lots of room!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michelle C
Good day Michelle,

Thank you for your review such great on our property comfort. You are right to metion it to us on your next visit as we are always pleased to provide you such request if feasible of course. Why changing a winning formula? .

I am however very disappointed that you have been very disturbed from other guest near you. Canmore is obviously known as a “resort” destination; therefore some people can enjoy their time a little too much. However, at no time it should disturb anyone else and I can assure you that once alerted we always act promptly. We do have access to some security to assist us during these periods on demand. Since the buildings are spread out, we do not “hear” the noise always if it happens. However, I encourage you to let us know immediately so we can act promptly to that unit and therefore let every guest enjoy their quiet time.

Please let us know on your next visit, we will certainly make sure to treat you well as a valued repeat guest.

Sincere Regards,
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

This place is pretty much as advertised. We rented a 2bd/2ba unit in August 2013 and found it to be roomy, comfortable, with great beds and bedding, showers (with rainheads and side jets), basic cable, and (sometimes pokey) wifi. Electric grill on patio..never used it, hi-end appliances, washer/dryer, nice leather couches, all the stemware and utensils needed, and coffee. Front desk staff was very friendly. We hiked and mountain biked and so were happy to have a nice comfortable place for all of us to unwind after dinner.

We stayed 5 days and never had any maid service and I went to the desk twice to ask for coffee when we ran out. At checkout, when asked, I complained gently about no maid service and the desk person promptly gave me a $50 credit which was very nice and I was actually happy to get coffee, throw out my own trash etc. for fifty bucks ( I am a bit of a tightwad). And I note that the entire unit was squeaky clean for our arrival.

We are parents and two grown young men 19 and 22. Traveling with "kids" that age requires patience, comfort and space, and Solara delivered.

Only other negatives: We were on a middle floor and the dude above us paced endlessly and noisily on the balls of his feet. Why does anyone walk that way? I suggest asking for a 4th floor unit if you can. Finally, like another reviewer here, I also noticed the sound of big exhaust fan from the garage in the courtyard but it wasn't overly annoying to me and I was able to read on the deck with a glass of wine quite happily.

The location was great for exploring Canmore (easy walk), Banff (20 minutes) and Lake Louise (45 minutes). I have no issue recommending Solara for its luxury, comfort, location and cleanliness.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor so you don't hear any heavy stomping like we did.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank yankeeblues
Good day Yankeeblues,

Thank you for your detailed review, it certainly always is both appreciated and helpful to us in order to always improve our services.

August was indeed an extremely busy month and we were delighted to be full most of the time. The level of service that we are proud to provide as cleanliness as you mentioned is of very high importance to us, so thank you for noticing it upon arrival in your unit. Certainly that it is very disappointing if we were not capable to service daily your unit, but the solution brought to you was, it seems, to your satisfaction in this context and that is certainly what each of our team member aiming for. I can assure you that we’ll ensure as each month that our regular level of daily service gets respected.

I obviously cannot “comment” on the level of noise from walking of that guest close to you! But your message I am sure might be read…

Finally, the fan system was indeed at some time too loud from the high temperature of the weather only. We have since then ensured to provide additional “air” to the system so it does not struggle, and therefore become noisier. We will finally be at a quiet time be capable of adding a normal permanent air entry for the comfort of our guest.

I look forward to see you on your next visit in Canmore.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Wonderful place to stay...very quiet and the resort is very well cleaned, glad to have a BBQ on the patio; Located very conveniently from all the major sites. Nice place to have a relax vacation, really good for couples and small families.

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest room with a view of the mountains
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alison K
Good day Alison,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments, they make the pride of all our team. The team here and the quality of our property are certainly very appreciated, so delighted that you appreciated it.

I thank you for your visit at Solara and look forward to have the chance to welcome you once again at Solara.

Sincere Regards,