“Love this place”

Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Canmore
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 March 2014

When we come to Canmore, we've typically stayed at the Falcon Crest... We have a new favourite now!
Not only is the staff helpful and friendly... The rooms are quite large and very very comfortable. We had a full kitchen so we didn't have to eat out the entire time, with every kitchen utensil you'll need.

We found out during out stay that this is a pet friendly hotel, and we will be returning next time with our pets.

There is a underground parking garage which is very handy during the winter too.

My only only complaint would be that I wish they had a restaurant inside the hotel. I know there is one across the street, but it don't recall it being very good.

We will be returning to this particular hotel in the future most definitely.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edmontonian234
Darryll H, General Manager at Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Edmontonian234: Thank you for taking the time to post an excellent review noting that The Solara Resort & Spa would be your first choice upon your return to Canmore! I’m pleased to know that you enjoyed your suite and all the many amenities the resort and our amazing location have to offer and you experienced our amazing customer service. I'm very proud of my staff here at Solara. Thank you for your continued patronage and I look forward to hosting you and your family again in future.

Darryll Hunter

Write a ReviewReviews (1,059)

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Myself and a group of 4 other ladies stayed at the hotel for one night for my friend's stagette. We just had the three bedroom suite (not the upgraded one) and it was gorgeous and HUGE! We all stay at hotels regularly and we were all very impressed with the quality of the accomodations. The only down side was the spa. Since I did a "group" booking they charged us all an 18% gratuity ... making our 60 minute massages a whopping $166... yikes!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear KimO78, Thank you so much for such a great review. Indeed Canmore is an exceptional location to access quickly and simply all surrounding activities. We are privileged to live among such natural surroundings. Certainly that Solara is an exceptional resort that only completes the unique surroundings you can experience. The team is very committed to deliver the best services to each of our guests. Solara does offer spa packages. Please contact me personally and I would be happy to send our packages to you. Once again, thank you for your review, your continued patronage and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

The rooms are beautiful and spacious, and provide everything needed for a comfortable stay, down to the cutlery. They even have a wine cabinet in the kitchen!

The fitness center has brand new equipment, and all of it topnotch.

The place was spotless, and the service excellent. I went in the winter but will come back in the spring, and maybe even the summer.

Room Tip: The views are beautiful on all sides.
1  Thank travelsasteacher
Darryll H, General Manager at Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Travelsasteacher; Thank you for taking the time to post an excellent review regarding your most recent stay with us, noting the convenience of our well-equipped kitchens! Our fitness centre attached the One Wellness Spa is the best in Canmore. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Canmore!

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Canmore has a wide variety of rooms for the budget conscious to resorts. I've personally seen many of the hotels in town and can vouch for Solara. This is especially true if you happen to be a homebody: spacious rooms, luxurious kitchens, mellow baths and comfortable furniture all around. I especially like how management is addressing various suggestions and concerns. This bodes well for money well spent. I'll be back.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Darryll H, General Manager at Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear sirtravelalot1; Thank you for your excellent review regarding your recent stay with us noting our spacious and clean suites. Thank you for also mentioning our friendly Team Members, amenities and great location.

I look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to the Canmore area.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Perfect place to stay! Stunnging views everywhere you look. Great family friendly place, spacious rooms and underground parking!!! Staff is very friendly! We enjoyed how close to downtown Canmore the hotel is as well as the 20 minute drive to Banff. Will be staying at Solar again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Dayna Z; Thank you very much for your excellent review and your continued patronage! Our Team’s mission is to ensure all of our guests receive Star treatment and go home with a Exceptional Resort Experience. I look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Canmore!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Let me start by saying that guest services met all of my requests that I made when I booked and reserved a room for me away from the loud fans with a very nice view of the three sisters mountains. This isn't the first time I've stayed here and guest services responded promtly to my emails and treated me the way a repeat guest should be treated. The suites are very nice and spacious and have pretty much everything you need if you want to stay in and relax or cook your own meals. With that said, it would have been nice to have either a larger non-stick pan or at least a couple non-stick pans as the tiny one provided was not sufficient for cooking a full breakfast.

Where this place falls short in my opinion is on the service side of things. This time around I purchased a two night stay for my wife, daughter and I and it came with a voucher for the spa. When I checked in, I was told that I would have to take the spa voucher and redeem it at the spa. The only problem is that the woman working the front desk forgot to give it to me when she gave me my room key. When I called down and mentioned this I was put on hold and then another woman came back on the phone and told me it was me who forgot it and that I could come and pick it up anytime. I honestly don't remember the woman giving me the voucher but even if it was me who forgot it, is it unreasonable for me to expect someone to bring it up to my room? I suggested this and the woman told me that the spa has a copy of the receipt and just to show up. My wife went for her scheduled manicure and pedicure and the spa knew nothing about the voucher so my wife had to walk across the resort to the front desk and pick it up.

Another issue that arose was the wireless internet did not work in our room. I called down the first time and they told me to restart my computer and it should work. Well, that didn't work so I called down again and was told that maintenance would reset the router and it should be working in a few minutes. I tried again 20 minutes later and the "solara wireless" network was not even showing up on my computer so I called down again and they told me it must be bad service and that I could go to the business centre if I needed to use the internet. The internet never worked on any of our computers for the three days we stayed there.

On the first evening of our stay my wife and I went to bed around 10pm so we could watch some of the Olympic highlights on tv and relax after a busy day. We hopped into bed and turned on the tv but we couldn't get it to do anything except play music. We called the front desk and they said not all the bedrooms have cable. Why would you put a tv in a room to play music? Isn't that what a radio is for and a lot cheaper?

All in all, we didn't let the above issues ruin our weekend because we didn't go to Canmore to go on the internet and watch tv. It just certainly would have been nice to have those services or at least have been compensated for the lack of services and poor customer service.

1  Thank Curtis M
Darryll H, General Manager at Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Curtis M; Thank you for sharing your experience. Please accept our deepest apologies for all the trouble and inconveniences caused by our missed service. No excuses can be offered except we have failed in our service. Our internet is usually very good, but I will be looking into this issue asap.

I would like an opportunity to invite you back. Please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make sure you get the stay you deserve.

We look forward to redeeming ourselves and regaining your trust in our service..

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stayed at Solara with my sister for our snowboard weekend in Lake Louise. One word: Beautiful! It's in Canmore, which is a small drive from Banff but about half the price. You would need vehicle access, but trust me it's worth it. Our room looked right onto the 3 sisters mountains! Our rooms were stunning!! Mine had a balcony, hers a fireplace. Both had ensuites, mine was also that hallway access bathroom. Huge jacuzzi tub! Beautiful decor! Great customer service! Santa was there for the kids in the lobby our weekend, we our both in our 20's but thought it was a nice perk for the kiddies. Just Beautiful!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Candace T
Darryll H, General Manager at Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Candace T; Thank you for your fabulous review regarding your recent stay with us, especially noting out amazing suites that come with fireplaces and stunning views of the mountains. Also thank you for noting our amazing staff and service.
I look forward to hosting you and your family again on your next trip to Canmore!