Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had an amazing stay at Solara. When I booked the trip, I requested a mountain view room. Our unit was on the third floor of the Chinook building with very nice mountain views.Thanks Solara! We were right next to the elevator but it was very quiet. The unit was wonderful...lovely furnishing and décor. There were two entrances to our 2 bedroom/2 bath unit. The first entrance led to a beautiful bathroom and bedroom with a fireplace. Large closet with nice robes to use. We loved the cucumber soap they provided in the bathrooms. The other part of the unit had a walk thru bathroom to the bedroom and its own private balcony. We even spotted a bunny one morning out the balcony. The kitchen was large with nice stainless steel appliances and everything you could need. We had a nice size living room with a balcony. TV's were large and we had 3 in the unit so everyone was happy. Internet worked very well and was very fast. We also had a closet with a stackable washer and dryer. The unit and the grounds were immaculate. There was a nice outdoor area with tables, chairs and bbq grills. They show movies every night in their theater and there is even a kids game room. No pool but they have a hot tub, wading pool and kids splash area. They have a well appointed gym with very nice equipment. They even have bikes guests can use. Location is close to town and easy to get on the highway. Banff was 15-20 minutes away and Lake Louise an hour. It was a great place to relax and we wished we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view. We were third floor of Chinook building.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jennifer K
Darryll H, General Manager at Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Jennifer K: I’m absolutely delighted that you had such an excellent stay with us! Our Team Members always want to provide our guests with a unique and special experience and when we get great feedback like yours, we know we’re meeting our goals! Also Thank you for noting our clean, spacious and well-equipped suites. Once again, thank you for your review and I look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Canmore!

Darryll Hunter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Korean first
Spruce Grove
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a Groupon for a great rate, but even then I'm not impressed enough to return. One person was left to check in guests, resulting in about a 20 minute check in procedure. That's not a good start. The pool area is terrible, good enough for my three year old but my five year old was bored to tears. The childrens activity center is filled with broken toys and games and toys without sufficient pieces to actually use. This enhances creativity as we were able to play with a castle using sand timers as the people. :) Lots of small things in the suite showing a lack of care. My king size bed in one bedroom was two twins pushed together. Even my three year old could feel it was not one bed. Burned out light bulbs in already dark bathrooms. Door handles that fall off of patio entrance doors. Lamp pull levers broken. One robe for a family of four. Overall the suite had nice finishings and great space but without the customer service or decent amenities, I can't see myself returning.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Lara P: Thank you for selecting Solara Resort & Spa as your resort for you recent trip to Canmore. Our Team is committed to delivering amazing hospitality experiences, and it is with deep regret that we did not achieve this goal during your most recent experience with us. Maintenance is of the utmost importance in the hotel industry and what you experienced during your stay is certainly not a Solara standard. Our goal is always to exceed guest expectations and I would appreciate speaking with you to gather further details. My direct line is 403-609-3600 x15009.

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and I are retired and travel 7 months out of 12 and have for the passed 3 years so we have stayed at many more hotels then the average couple.We should have realized we were in trouble when the directions we got were wrong and it took us 35 minutes to find Solara after getting off at the right exit. Not only did we try using the directions , but we asked 3 different locals with out much help. The front desk people were very nice, but didn't know much about what was going on. The only person was a saleswoman Faye and we got the impression the front desk people were summer help. We were given a room as far away from the elevator as possible. The room was set up very nice, but we couldn't get wi-fi and the walk was too great for my wife who has 2 hips replaced. After much to do they did find another room which wasn't as nice as the first, but it was closer. In this room they had to give us a cable to connect to the internet to make it work. The A/C didn't work so we had to keep the windows open and they must have sent at least 3 different maintenance men to try and fix the A/C, but no one could make it work. We used the washer dryer that was in the room and during the spin cycle the units moved so much the the dryer which was on top of the washer was hanging over the washer and the whole set up had moved 2 feet from where it started out. They fixed that and I spilled some water on the kitchen floor so I wiped it up with a wash cloth and my foot. The floors in the kitchen hadn't been washed we think in, well who knows. I did take pictures of the filth and in fact Faye also saw it when she came to check on the room. The next morning housekeeping came to make up the room and we were 15 minutes from leaving so we asked if they could come back in 15 minutes and we saw them when we were leaving and said the room was ready to be made up. When we returned at 5:30 pm the room was not made up so we called and Faye came to check with the house keeping people and were told after we told them we were out of the room in the AM that they couldn't get to our room because they had others to do. If it could have gone wrong at Solara it did. When I saw this was the worst place we ever stayed at believe me it was a horror show at best. They did credit us for one night and seeing Faye's face when she saw the filth was priceless. If they get there act together it might be a good place to stay. It is in a good location, the rooms are larger than most hotel rooms, it has a full kitchen and washer and dryer. I can say that we will be talking about Solara for many years to come and not in a good way.Oh I almost forgot many of the light fixtures were broken because they were very cheap units. One of them we needed to plug in and unplug to turn it on and off, because it had not other way to work. LOL As for the wi-fi we have a computer, a IPAD Air, a cell phones and 2 Samsung S4 cell phones, none of them could get a signal in the first room and it was very poor in the second.

Room Tip: Check out whatever room you get and make sure it's clean and things work.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Richard F
Darryll H, General Manager at Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Richard F: The team at Solara is shocked regarding this review. The vast majority of our valued guests thoroughly enjoy the tremendous value we provide!. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel, and we will be reviewing your comments with our team to improve the product and services within our hotel.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I just returned home having spent two days and nights at Solara in Canmore. It was an outstanding experience. We had a group of 9 leaders from a company gathering for a two day working session. The rooms were beautiful and inspiring. Shared accommodation with separate rooms allowed for additional connection time in a comfortable way. The staff was excellent - friendly and helpful. The fitness facilities and spa are top notch. The location is also convenient - the short 15 or so minute walk to our favourite restaurant allowed for additional outdoor time and ability to appreciate the views. We met couples, families and conference groups all staying at the resort and all seemed equally happy. I highly recommend it. I guess the elevators could be a little faster but that was a reminder to slow down, breath and enjoy the mountain environment.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Phil M
Darryll H, General Manager at Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Phil M: Thank you for taking the time to post an excellent review regarding your recent stay with us! I’m pleased you enjoyed our location, steps away from downtown Canmore. Thank you also for mentioning the One Wellness Spa located in our main building. I have forwarded your positive comments to them. I look forward to hosting you and your colleagues again on your next trip to Canmore.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I arrived on Sunday, June 8 and believed that my reservation had been amended to include an extra day - the Sunday evening. There was no record of it in the Solara system. Rather than sending me away or giving me push-back on who owned the mistake, the gentleman on the reception desk, with support from his supervisor, provided me with extraordinary customer service. He first checked to see if there was a room available in Solara's partner hotel. When he found they were fully booked, he called his supervisor to see how he should proceed as there were no clean rooms at Solara. What they ended up doing was asking the night houseman to quickly clean up a room to accommodate me until my permanent room assignment was available the next day. They could have sent me away, debated how the reservation got mixed up or done any number of other things that would have caused me irritation rather than admiration. They did none of those things and provided me with outstanding customer service. I enjoyed the same level of excellent customer service during my week-long stay. The accommodations are also first rate. Would highly recommend a stay at Solara.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Marion S
Darryll H, General Manager at Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Marion S: I’m absolutely delighted that you had such an excellent stay with us! Our Team Members always want to provide our guests with a unique and special experience and when we get great feedback like yours, we know we’re meeting our goals! Once again, thank you for your review, your recommendation and I look forward to continuing to host you on future trips to Canmore!

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My short stay at Solera Resort & Spa was an absolute delight. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The check in process was swift and easy. My room was remarkably clean and well kept, while the common areas were quite modern and pleasant looking. The view of the mountains was beautiful and the resort itself is nice and close to town.

I would highly recommend this impressive resort to anyone traveling through the Canmore area. I will definitely be returning for a longer stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Darryll H, General Manager at Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Grant S: Thank you for your 5/5 rating regarding your recent stay with us. I appreciate your comments about our spacious suites also pleased you also enjoyed our amazing location and thank you for commenting on our friendly and helpful Team Members! Thank you once again for taking the time to post a review and I do look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My partner and I just returned home from an overnight stay at the Solara Resort and Spa for my birthday. We have stayed at many different resorts in Canmore and enjoy going out there regulalry but our usual spots were fully booked. We decided to try the Solara and stayed in a two bedroom suite as it was the only size left at the time of booking. The room was very nice, large, and comfortable. The resort is close to everything. We had trouble finding our room and a very friendly and helpful staff member went out of his way to show us to our room which we really appraciated. Our room was located very close to the elevator doors on the 2nd floor and we found things to be extremely noisy late at night and early in the morning when we were trying to sleep while people came off and on the elevator. We had planned to enjoy a birthday bottle of wine on the patio so we were so excited to see we had a beatiful large patio, but when we went to go onto it we noticed it was filthy and we were unable to even sit on the patio furniture. The whole patio and all of the patio furniture were covered in bird droppings. It was difficult to even walk out there without stepping on them. It is June and lovely out so we really wanted to use the patio and at the almost $400.00 we paid for a one night stay it would have been nice if the patio had been cleaned off before guests arrive so they can use and enjoy it. It was also all we could see from all rooms once we opened the blinds of the suite and did not make for a nice view.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevator doors to avoid a lot of noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dawn N
Dear Dawn N: Thank you for sharing your experience. Please accept our deepest apologies for all the trouble and inconveniences caused by our missed service regarding the patio. We are currently cleaning and power washing all patios per our schedule as weather permits. Unfortunate we did not reach the suite you occupied. It is now tops on our list.

I would like an opportunity to invite you back. Please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make sure you get the stay you deserve.

We look forward to redeeming ourselves and regaining your trust in our service.

Darryll Hunter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canmore
Stoneridge Mountain Resort by CLIQUE
Grande Rockies Resort - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
Falcon Crest Lodge by CLIQUE
Copperstone Resort by CLIQUE
Copperstone Resort by CLIQUE
#1 of 3 in Dead Man's Flats
Moose Hotel and Suites
Best Western Pocaterra Inn

Been to Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts? Share your experiences!