“OK but nothing special.”

Holiday Inn Canmore
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Canmore
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed here as our base for going into Banff. The hotel is older with some updates. Check in is at 4 pm, had requested an early check in when making the reservation on the phone as we arrived on an early morning flight into Calgary with two young kids. The room was vacated at the noon check out time but was not cleaned until just before 4 pm. There was no effort made by the hotel staff to get our room ready earlier. Keeping 2 tired young kids happy for 4 hours until 4 pm in the rain in Canmore was not pleasant. It has no pool and breakfast was extra on top of the $250 we paid per night. Sound insulation was poor, as we could hear our neighbours a bit too well. Location is well outside town centre. Internet was glitchy. I would not stay here again if I were to do it over again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Teresa P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Canmore, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Traveler,

Sorry to hear about all the inconveniences that you've faced while staying at our hotel. As part of our culture, we try to accommodate all the requests received by our guests on a daily basis to ensure that everyone feels like home and I assure you that your stay was no exception. The management of the hotel as well of all staff members love taking care of all our guests and we are always looking for ways to improve our services. I hope you reconsider and offer us another opportunity to host your next stay.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel in August 2014 when I was visiting Banff and the surrounding area on a weekend. Everything in Banff was booked or $500+ a night so I stayed here. The hotel is much nicer than your typical Holiday Inn and as another reviewer mentioned I'm sure this place didn't start off as Holiday Inn. The hotel is conveniently located close to the highway and it's a short (20 min) drive to Banff. The price paid however did not correspond to the quality of the hotel. I stayed at the Westin in Calgary the following day (Saturday) for almost half the price in a room that was superior in every way imaginable. I suppose it's not fair to compare it to a hotel in Calgary but it was the most I've ever paid for a room and it wasn't even close to being the nicest hotel I've stayed in.

If I ignore the value component and evaluate the hotel for what it is, a Holiday Inn, then it was a nice and clean place to stay. I did find the restaurant (Pizza Co) contained within the hotel to be a weird choice for a hotel. It's certainly nicer than Pizza Hut but ultimately it's still a Pizzeria with limited options outside of pizza. For those of us that are lactose intolerant it doesn't leave a lot of options.

I would stay at this hotel again if I could get the room for 2/3 of the price I paid.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Adam9999999999999
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This hotel and I would almost have to say the chain is an utter disappointment. I was checked in for two days and upon entering my room, I wondered if the bedding had actually been changed. My colleague also mentioned the same thing to me. The next day, I came back to my room around three to prepare for my presentation the followind day and my room was still not made. It was not until 4:30 pm that housekeeping arrived. The girl asked me if I wanted to have my bed made?? Huh! I paid for this service. So I watch her make the bed, while the other person quasi cleans the bathroom. Then they leave. They didn't even vaccum. I have bad allergies and I have to say that I left the hotel Friday morning not feeling very well inspite of taking all my medicines. I indicated to the desk that I was not very pleased with the housekeeping and the response from the man at the front desk was that it was the Holiday Inn's standard not to change the bedding if you stay more than one night. What?? At other hotels, there is always the option as to whether you want your linens changed or not. If this the hallmark of this hotel chain, I will not stay in another Holiday Inn. Ever.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank holalisa
Teresa P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Canmore, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear HolaLisa,

Thank you for your comments on your experience at the hotel. I understand that we did not exceed your expectations on our cleaning less standards. The management of the hotel is looking into the issue and will revise procedures accordingly to accommodate all our guests. I hope you can give us another opportunity to host your stay in the future.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

A bit on the worn out side, nothing special. Could have been better - but then it is in a tourist resort and they get business in high season regardless. Parking was a nightmare - they need more parking added to the property - in peak season at least.

Dear canadianworlwide,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at our hotel. Sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations on few areas of our services. The management of the hotel is continually assessing and reviewing all aspects of the operations to ensure we keep providing with great facilitates with location and great customer service. I hope you will allow us to host you once again next time your travels brings you back to town.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Your front office staff Anna was excellent. One morning during my stay in your hotel on August 9, I was in the front lobby with my fretful cryinbg granddaughter (because her mom left her with me to go for short walk in the morning). Your staff Anna was at the front desk, and she came to my rescue. She helped to calm my granddaughter, gave her a smiley anti-stress ball, carried and walked her around the lobby, and she actually got her to stop crying. I was very grateful for her help and unexpected service.

1  Thank Valerie y
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I'm certain that this hotel did not start out life as a Holiday Inn. The design of the building and rooms is very unique. Very pleasant front desk staff - Dale did a great job getting us checked in and gave us an upgrade. Beautiful views of a beautiful town and surroundings from the hotels, even though it's just off the highway.

PROS:
Very quiet location, close to highway.
Clean!
Loft rooms (301) are very nice, but see below.
Never tried the pizza restaurant - there are many great choices close by in town.
Starbucks near by (what do you expect, I'm from Seattle).

CONS:
More shrubbery has to be cut back. It's very difficult to see traffic coming down from Silvertip when coming out of the driveway, and I almost got t-boned once.
Room 301 (I assume it's not limited to this room, as others have commented) - when the spa is used next door, the water running and jets sound like an airplane in your room.
Adequate parking, but can get very crowded.
I read other reviews that mention free breakfast. I assume theirs was part of a package - I was surprised that as a Platinum guest I didn't get breakfast (I did stay on points).

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had a bad experience. we walked in to an malodorous room. Called the housekeeping. Room freshener came out. no other attempt was made to find why the room was smelling. At night we couldn't sleep because of the noise that next door jacuzzi was making till 2300 hours. The corridors look shabby and the rooms on 2 occasions were not even vacuumed. the rooms smelled during the entire stay. We made a fuss and then got better service for the last 2 days.
At a price of 280 dollars for weekdays and 345 for the weekends, its not value for money. The front staff are good and their manager Theresa tries hard. Thats the only positives. They gave us a voucher for an indoor place which was nice.

2  Thank kalic226
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Canmore, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear kalic226,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret the issues you had surrounding the condition of the room you received. We have taken note of your comments and shared them with our housekeeping team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a valuable feedback.

Joel B