“Terrible Camping experience”
Review of Wapiti Campground

Wapiti Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canmore
Wapiti Campground
Reviewed 30 July 2012

First of all, the registration process is awful. We registered online and no confirmation or reply was ever sent back. I had to call several times to get any kind of confirmation or information. By the way, hours of operation are EXTREMELY limited.

When I arrived, I got my registration slip that was posted on a door! Nobody was there (at noon) to give any direction plus someone could have easily taken my slip. I went to my site and there were people camped there who said the manager was debating earlier as to if they could stay or not. Well I would certainly hope not as I had it RESERVED. The campers were kind and graciously left but also noted the lack of coordination and kindness from the manager.

I backed my trailer towards the trees, not blocking traffic or being inside the forested area, so I could unpack. The manager stomps up to me and rudely asks if I could be camped there. I replied, 'yes, I have a reservation' which I had already posted on site with my slip. The manager, not believing me, reviewed the slip and finally said okay. Then she started yelling at me telling me I could not be parked where I was (not asking why or giving me a chance to tell her what had already happened) and that I should not have moved the barrier. I replied that I had not removed any barrier and I was only unpacking the trailer and then I would move to the parking area. This did not sit well with her and she stated she was not happy.

Even when you can buy shower tokens you must go at very limited times. It's costly and inconvenient. What if someone comes into the campground after these times???

The RV area has virtually no trees and is barren. The tenting area is extremely cramped and sites are small/uncoordinated. Sometimes you are unsure if you are in your space or your neighbors.

I have NEVER had such a rude reception in my life or someone who was so ignorant to listen. I will never recommend this campground to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank Sarah I

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Right on the edge of town which is good if you want the convenience but it's also between 2hyws and a rail road track. Not sure but 4 trains have passed since 11pm to 12pm not sure how they can even run that many trains on how many tracks? Bathroom are good though.

• Stayed: August 2011
6  Thank Ceceiphone
Reviewed 1 September 2010

on Aug 2, 2010 my husband and I were travelling on our Goldwing Touring Motorcycle pulling a larger tent trailer made for motorcycles. We stopped at the Municipal Campground in Canmore named Wapiti. The campground hostess told us we would have to set up in the tent area after she saw us picking out a site. We checked the area she referred to and had to go to her camp and explain that we could not drive a motorcycle in their or set up a tent trailer. She said then we would have to pay regular RV rates and I said I guess we have no choice then ($35.00). We read you need to purchase $2.00 tokens to have a shower. When we found the place to purchase our tokens, a sign read, "Closed for Stat holiday!! I never heard of closing showers and laundramat in the peak tourist season. They still took your money to camp there. My husband met a gentleman, from Germany, in the men's washroom sponge bathing his children and washing their clothes in the sink and trying to dry them under the hand dryer. He also commented he never heard of closing for holidays. The most upsetting to me was, the sign in the camp hostess motorhome that I took pictures of and that read, "All trespassers will be shot at and all survivors will be shot at again", and in the next window a sign read, "Beware of Dog" . We will never return to this campground or ever recommend it to anyone. The rest of our holiday was great, friendly staff, trying their best to accomodate, and letting us park in larger site for the lesser tenting fees, and many showers were included in the 22.00 camp fee. We sure don't mind paying the higher fee, it is just the difference in the staff and their williness to accommodate and promote good experiences which will definitely bring us and others we talk to back to visit them again!!!
Goldwing Riders