“Terrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Wapiti Campground

Wapiti Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canmore
Wapiti Campground
“Terrible!”
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

When I arrived and registered I advised the lady that there would be an TV and a tent on the same sight, she gave me a deal. Or so I thought. She said usually they charge for a power sight and then for a tent site if we're sharing the sight, but, that this time she would only charge for the power site. Great deal I thought. Then the older gentleman....After I had already paid.....said they only do that if there is anyone under 16. I had said that I realized that but the lady had said she'd waive the extra fee because it was just one night. Of course I had to end up paying the extra fee because he was just bent right out of shape about it. Horrible people skills and customer service. Not to mention you have to buy tokens for the shower which cost 2$ a piece and only gets you 5 minutes. Right by the highway too which makes for a noisy night. Never again. Really bad first impression.

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank PirateQueen85

Solo
Business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2013

"First Impression Lasts". How true is that?
I booked a 2-night stay with this campground but the agent can't even give me a site #. She said, "Just go there and a site will be reserved for you". When we get there at 7 in the evening and wanted to take a shower, we couldn't. we didn't know that we have to buy tokens but the office is already closed at 9 pm. We went to bed at 11 pm but we didn't know that the train on the left side of the campground and the cars and trucks on the right side (Hwy # 1) is having a competition on who can shake the ground better. The Esso gas station and McDonalds in the front and the Visitors Information Office at the back lost in the loudest category. Anyway, it's not going to get worst, right? Wrong! We decided to stay the next night but this time, in addition to the noise coming from all 4 corners of the campground, my three neighbors who are the most valued customers (you can tell by how their RVs are set up with specially designated postal code) decided to party until 4 am. It's not even Friday night! There is no one there to remind them of the rules or the etiquette and completely disregarded the rights of other people. And there is a lot of outsiders using the facilities too. Before I forget, while that is happening, my other neighbor's friend came and set up their tent at 2 am. It's already 4 AM and another train just passed by. I have to go to sleep . I have to wake up at 6 am. It's a long drive back to Vancouver, BC. (Just to be fair, thumbs up for clean washrooms).

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Myra K

Travellers are raving about these Canmore hotels

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Wapiti campground has the good fortune of convenient location. Beyond this the hwy noise and view are negatives. The biggest issue here however is the female hostess. This person struggles greatly with an inferiority complex. To [over] compensate for this she is determined to impose herself on everyone she believes to be under her control, ultimately at the expense of your vacation. The good news here is there are better campgrounds and people in canmore such as silver creek and bow river. Wapiti is a last resort.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hesse154914
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We rolled into Canmore on the weekend with no reservations and were lucky to get in here. It had electric but no water and it had a fire ring - wood was cheap and the staff friendly - not a destination but if your stuck it is an ok place to stay.

You do need ear plugs as the hwy is very close.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank KidsTravelNews
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2012

First of all, the registration process is awful. We registered online and no confirmation or reply was ever sent back. I had to call several times to get any kind of confirmation or information. By the way, hours of operation are EXTREMELY limited.

When I arrived, I got my registration slip that was posted on a door! Nobody was there (at noon) to give any direction plus someone could have easily taken my slip. I went to my site and there were people camped there who said the manager was debating earlier as to if they could stay or not. Well I would certainly hope not as I had it RESERVED. The campers were kind and graciously left but also noted the lack of coordination and kindness from the manager.

I backed my trailer towards the trees, not blocking traffic or being inside the forested area, so I could unpack. The manager stomps up to me and rudely asks if I could be camped there. I replied, 'yes, I have a reservation' which I had already posted on site with my slip. The manager, not believing me, reviewed the slip and finally said okay. Then she started yelling at me telling me I could not be parked where I was (not asking why or giving me a chance to tell her what had already happened) and that I should not have moved the barrier. I replied that I had not removed any barrier and I was only unpacking the trailer and then I would move to the parking area. This did not sit well with her and she stated she was not happy.

Even when you can buy shower tokens you must go at very limited times. It's costly and inconvenient. What if someone comes into the campground after these times???

The RV area has virtually no trees and is barren. The tenting area is extremely cramped and sites are small/uncoordinated. Sometimes you are unsure if you are in your space or your neighbors.

I have NEVER had such a rude reception in my life or someone who was so ignorant to listen. I will never recommend this campground to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Sarah I
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Right on the edge of town which is good if you want the convenience but it's also between 2hyws and a rail road track. Not sure but 4 trains have passed since 11pm to 12pm not sure how they can even run that many trains on how many tracks? Bathroom are good though.

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank Ceceiphone
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 1 September 2010

on Aug 2, 2010 my husband and I were travelling on our Goldwing Touring Motorcycle pulling a larger tent trailer made for motorcycles. We stopped at the Municipal Campground in Canmore named Wapiti. The campground hostess told us we would have to set up in the tent area after she saw us picking out a site. We checked the area she referred to and had to go to her camp and explain that we could not drive a motorcycle in their or set up a tent trailer. She said then we would have to pay regular RV rates and I said I guess we have no choice then ($35.00). We read you need to purchase $2.00 tokens to have a shower. When we found the place to purchase our tokens, a sign read, "Closed for Stat holiday!! I never heard of closing showers and laundramat in the peak tourist season. They still took your money to camp there. My husband met a gentleman, from Germany, in the men's washroom sponge bathing his children and washing their clothes in the sink and trying to dry them under the hand dryer. He also commented he never heard of closing for holidays. The most upsetting to me was, the sign in the camp hostess motorhome that I took pictures of and that read, "All trespassers will be shot at and all survivors will be shot at again", and in the next window a sign read, "Beware of Dog" . We will never return to this campground or ever recommend it to anyone. The rest of our holiday was great, friendly staff, trying their best to accomodate, and letting us park in larger site for the lesser tenting fees, and many showers were included in the 22.00 camp fee. We sure don't mind paying the higher fee, it is just the difference in the staff and their williness to accommodate and promote good experiences which will definitely bring us and others we talk to back to visit them again!!!
Goldwing Riders