“It's a Ramada, but not as we know it! No frills but cheap & comfortable.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Canmore

Ramada Canmore
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Canmore
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“It's a Ramada, but not as we know it! No frills but cheap & comfortable.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Firstly, if you are a seasoned world traveller and familiar with the big name hotels, then as you walk in, this hotel may come as a little shock! This is not actually a Ramada hotel, but rather is licensed under Ramada Hotels International but completely owned by a different company. A bit of a con if you ask me and in no way does it represent a Ramada hotel that any European traveller would expect! That said, I had seen the pictures on-line so I wasn't expecting a palace! One thing you have to bear in mind if travelling through the Rockies for the first time, is that the majority of hotels you will find suffer from a lack of care and attention and the decor will most probably be a cross between a 70s Hollywood movie Motel and a swiss mountain chalet covered in cheap pine.
That said, no matter how much I tried to pick fault with this hotel, I struggled to come up with anything apart from the general state of it and decor. For peak tourist time, this hotel was a reasonable price, was clean and comfortable and offered a cheap and good buffet breakfast. I would suggest staying in Canmore rather than paying more the same in Banff. I would stay here again, if travelling through, but don't expect anything special. There is a railroad located outside rooms on the back, which you could probably high-five the driver of the train if you have long arms, but this shouldn't affect your night's sleep. I found it quite a novelty!

Room Tip: Don't select a back facing room if you don't like long slow trains!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BesthotelinCanmore1, Manager at Ramada Canmore, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. We’re pleased you found our property to be comfortable. In Canada as it is world wide, all Ramada hotels operate under a license agreement with Ramada International; all are privately owned.
We invite you to return and we would like the opportunity to offer a room on the first floor where renovations have been completed since December of 2013. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Calgary, AB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Thought I had posted this review already, but apparently not.. Stayed here in May, after deciding to do a quick trip out to the Mountains.. Kind of wished that we asked if there was any groups of kids staying at the hotel first..

Saturday Afternoon/Night just about had us packing up during the brief snow storm and checking out. Around 3pm a very large group had checked into the hotel, and proceeded to allow their kids to have full reign of the All floors.. We were coming back from the pool, when these kids just about clobbered our daughter running around (She's visually impaired so she wouldn't of seen them anyways). Thankfully one of the Front Desk gents was already on the floor dealing with noise complaints from other guests regarding this group. He was trying his utmost to get these kids back to their rooms, and another couple of guests came out to complain (They were part of the awesome french group that was there!).. He mentioned he was going to talk to the manager on duty, and see what if anything could be done.
Around 6pm I went back down to speak to the front desk, as these kids were STILL going full out! The poor girl at the desk said she would try to get someone back up right away, as they were getting calls as well. The Male front desk agent came back up again and tried dealing with them.. I knew this was going to be a rough night, and started checking other hotels in Banff but most were sold out or asking too much money. Around 815-830pm after trying for 70+ minutes to get our daughter to sleep with all the noise going on, my wife and I had enough and went out into the hall and started yelling at the kids (May not of been the best thing to do, but our nerves were shot, we were stressed out and I wasn't feeling great because of this combination).. I looked down the hall and the Male front desk agent was again on the floor trying to contain these kids, and commended my wife for biting her tongue as much as she could. Only at this point did an adult start trying to hustle the kids into a room down the hall (She was standing there watching everything go on). The agent said again he would talk to the manager, as he was getting upset having to come up to the floor so much to deal with these kids! He quietly knocked on our door about 30 minutes later, and handed us a couple of free breakfast vouchers.. He said that no one could evict the group, so this was the best they could do. He apologized like there was no tomorrow, and I told him not to worry as this one was outside of his control. I asked him if he knew if any hotels in Canmore had space, and he said that he thought everyone was sold out as well. The noise kicked up again around 10pm, but I could hear there were some adults trying to corral the kids as quick as they could. and a few of the french guests, made their opinion known as well! We used blankets & towels under the door to try and muffle what noise we could again.

Sunday morning we went down for breakfast around 830am and was told by the gentleman asking for money to eat that "150 guests just came through we'll have more hot food out soon" We looked around at what was available, and there wasn't much I could eat due to allergies. My wife tried the French toast slices, but found them hard and tasteless.. The pancakes weren't bad, but were cold.

There is a large gap under the doors, so if it gets loud use the towels to muffle the sound level.. The front desk gang, do their utmost to help everyone out. So if you ever need anything, just ask.

Room Tip: 3rd floor has some great rooms.. Just use towels under the door if you find the hallway noisy. Stay...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Location
1 Thank Cowboy005
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Friendly Staff, clean rooms, fun pool with waterslide. It is convenient to the grocery marts (walking distance) and the bike path runs right outside the hotel - all the way to Banff if you like to ride.
The beds were comfortable and the hotel was fairly quiet. The train tracks actually do run right behind the hotel, but you hardly notice the trains.
The breakfast, although not included, is reasonably priced and well stocked.
Free apples in the lobby are a great touch, as well as free tea and coffee.
I would stay here again and recommend it for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LivinganAdventure
BesthotelinCanmore1, Manager at Ramada Canmore, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your comment. We really appreciate your kind words. You can expect the same service during your next visit
Please come again
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We went on the long weekend so we got a good deal for 3 nights. Nice hotel, Clean rooms, fun pool and the breakfast is really good. The highlight off the kids was the mini train which takes them around the hotel and over to the breakfast area.

Room Tip: If you don't like the sound of the train going by ask for the mountain side- but the train never...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BesthotelinCanmore1, Manager at Ramada Canmore, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your comment. We are thrilled that you had a good time at our property. I have to agree with you that the mini train is quiet a hit with the kids.
Please come again
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Pros: The real bed in the room was decent. The shower was also nice. It was also very quiet. They did well to soundproof the room, as there is a railroad right outside. Free Wi-fi was quick.

Cons: Really, really expensive. No breakfast on top of that makes it even more costly. The sink didn't drain very well. Since it was MUCH cheaper, we opted for a room with a pullout... The pullout was filled with hard springs and sagged in the middle - had to bring in camping supplies to sleep comfortably.

Room Tip: - Don't worry about being near the railroad; they've soundproofed well. - If you can afford...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your comment. I am sorry that you found our hotel expensive. July and August are peak months in Canmore/Banff. If you compare us with the rest of the hotels in the valley, I think we still offer one of the best values.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

This hotel was disappointing to say the least. The service was poor. I contacted the staff for extra blankets and to notify them about a broken light in my room. They said they would send someone up, but no one came, and I had to personally go down to the front desk to ask again. The room was decent, but had a terrible smell. In addition, the walls are very thin so noise is an issue. I could hear the train all throughout the night and it was a huge disturbance. There is free wifi, but it is incredibly slow. Also, if you are planning on using the sofa bed, know that it is rather uncomfortable. Finally, to clarify, there is no free breakfast. I would not stay at this hotel again. For the price, you can find a better hotel.

2 Thank Sara C

Travellers are raving about these Canmore hotels

Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

After spending a night at the Sheraton staying here was a major down grade and what bothered me the most was that I paid the same price, but thats what you get for staying in Canmore on a busy long weekend.

I wouldn't say the Ramada was terrible. It was ok, definitely is very outdated. We had a view facing the back which had great mountain views when you look beyond the mall in front of it. One down fall was that there are train tracks right behind so if your room is on that side you'll hear a train every hour it seems.

The Ramada does have a very small pool with a waterslide and hot tub. This area must not get cleaned often as it seemed somewhat dirty. Nothing worse then seeing hair everywhere, but it was a busy weekend.

In all if you need a place to stay, then this place would be alright but it definitely wont be my first choice.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family