“Know your limits” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 49 things to do in Canmore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Know your limits”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Not an experienced hiker, work out a few days a week. We were both panting about 10 min in. Lots of places to stop and rest. You will need it, and everyone else is doing it. Once you get to the top of the tree line, it's another story. If you are at all nervous or anxious this part will be tough. Lots of loose gravel on a very steep incline just before you reach the scramble. We gave up here, I was more worried about getting down as we watched people slipping down this area. Apparently we were only about 30 min from the peak. Oh well, we will be back next year!
A few reminders for next time:
Wore runners: Hiking boots would have been better, yet not sure if they'd help you from sliding.
Wore shorts: Maybe pants next time.. especially if you're taking your bum down from the top!
Gloves: would have been handy again if you do any crawling/sliding.

4 Thank Sheilamae222

• Korean first
Calgary, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Challenging But Achievable...answers to common questions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Below is a list of questions I had before I did this scramble and never got solid answers to. Hope this helps you.

1. Q: Can I do this scramble in a pair of running shoes, or do I need to go out and buy hiking boots? A: I did this scramble in some trail running shoes...standard running shoes with some more aggressive tread. I thought these worked fine. I saw a lot of people doing it in running shoes. My personal opinion, on good weather no-snow days, you don't need to go out and buy hiking boots.

2. Q: Just how hard is this? A: I am in pretty good shape, I run to/from my office several times a week and do hiking around my neighborhood all the time. I run half marathons and the occasional full marathon. Yet, going up Ha Ling I found myself breathing pretty heavily. I also am feeling sore legs the day after. I went as fast as I could. If you pace yourself and take your time, someone who is in reasonably good shape can do this climb.

3. Q: Do I need trekking poles? A: I went to Mountain Equipment Coop (in Calgary) and bought a pair of their cheapest trekking poles ($48 CAD). I was glad a had them. Yes, in hindsight, I think I would have been fine without them, but they did make it more stable and I felt more confident having them. I recommend poles.

4. Q: How long does this take car back to car? A: It took me two and a half hours, that includes 15 minutes of looking around the top. I went fairly fast.

5. Q: Is it scary? A: At the top I felt a little scared I guess, but I've grown up with a fear of heights. Other than if you are climbing around at the very top edge of the peak, there's no real spot where you could "fall off" the mountain. If you really lost your footing in a bad way, it's possible you could slide a few feet in the scree (rock above the tree line).

Spectacular views at the top. That made the trip worth it.

I did it rather early, I was going up by 8:00am. By the time I came back down to the parking lot, it was getting pretty busy. This is a popular area scramble. You will likely not be alone.

Overall I enjoyed the challenge and look forward to doing it again. Hope this helps.

Also, didn't use it myself, but there is a place to pee in the parking lot.

8 Thank Mike O
Toronto, Canada
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Steep and rewarding trek - we can barely walk the next day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Directions to the trail: As we had a hard time finding the trail, I thought I should spell it out. Park at the Goat Creek parking lot. Then, walk across the road, up the hill, and over a bridge of water. There are no signs for the trail until you are at the forest, where there is a tiny plaque on a rock indicating you're in the right place.

My partner and I are quite fit and athletic, and within a half an hour our hearts were racing. The trail is quite steep. Also, to be perfectly clear, this is a mountain climb - this is very different than the grassi lakes trail. Once you clear the trees, it gets cold, windy, and the trail is gone. It's a scramble to the top. But, when you're up there, the view is incredible!

1 Thank KJ300052
Red Deer, Canada
“Challenging but worth it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

The climb and the view will leave you breathless. Hardest part is the descent at the top. Once you get past the scree it is smooth sailing. Our family of four ( kids 10 and 12) completed the entire round trip, rests included in 3 1/2 hours. We are looking forward to doing it again next year!

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great hike. About a 1000 metre elevation but an amazing view at the top. There are a few steep sections but fairly easy hike otherwise. Lots of families. Some loose rock near the top but there are paths to guide you through.

Visited August 2013