“Good value stay in Canmore”

Canadian Rockies Chalets
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We had stayed here for 3 days which was a bit disappointed. We had a 2 bedroom unit which is the basement of a house. Due to the thin flooring, we can hear noise from the people upstairs. The unit has a 1 Double, 1 Queen, 1 sofa bed which is good for a family of 3-4 adults. There is a living room, a bathroom and a full kitchen. It is located near many restaurants and Safeway (about 5-10 min drive).

The pros:
- staff was friendly and nice.
- a nice hot tube and a game area with a pool table.
- free parking

The cons:
- noisy from the railway tracks
- free wi-fi is unstable and weak.
- no cleaning service if you continue to stay in the chalet.
- $100 deposit for the key

I only recommend this chalet if you have a big family and would want to save on your hotel bills.

1  Thank SmartTravellerHK

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We had 7 people stay in a 3 bedroom cougar chalet. The chalet was big enough for us all and the beds were comfy. The place was clean but the carpet needed replacing and the bench top in the kitchen needed replacing. The bathrooms were nice. The rooms were a little stuffy so we had the windows open which meant the train and road noise was a little louder, but the road isn't too busy at night. The check in staff were nice, had to pay $100 deposit / guarantee for the key. Location is excellent. Would I stay again? I think I would if I was after another cheap night for lots of people.

1  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We recently stayed here for three nights while visiting the Banff area. We spent the first two nights in a Cougar Chalet. It was nice and clean and fine for a family. The third night we had to move to a Bear Den. It was also fine but it was extremely noisy with the kids above us running around non-stop. We felt the Cougar Chalet was a little nicer with the window coverings since it is light out until very late. The train was also not a problem. I thought it would be louder than it was but it did not wake me up during the night. This isn't a 5 star resort but it is definitely a good price for a family and decent accommodations. The biggest complaint we had was that the sofabed was not comfortable at all so beware if you plan to use it.

1  Thank Alex G
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I was skeptical about staying here because I read a lot of negative reviews about the cleanliness of the rooms and the sound of the train. But because of the price and how close it is to the National Parks, I decided to try it out. We rented the Cougar Chalet (we have 6 people, all adults).

Price: For 4 days, 3 nights we paid around $400...that's it. Extremely cheap compared to all the other million hotels we looked at in Banff and Jasper.

First the room: It was like a house. All 6 of us could sleep and walk around comfortably...there is a nice kitchen, 3 bathrooms (2 of which have showers), a fridge, utensils...basically everything that a normal house would have. The beds themselves were comfortable as well.

The train: There is a train that runs through the area, but it honestly isn't that bad at all. Just don't open your window fully and you will be alright...I actually did keep the window open for my entire 4 days stay and the train only woke me up once.

Cleanliness and staff: I was extremely surprised at all the people saying the rooms are not clean....our entire place was clean and tidy. The staff was amazing...I called them about 4 different times with questions and they never got annoyed. Very nice!

Overall, the chalets are amazing. There is a grocery store nearby (Safeway is where we shopped) and the National Parks are close as well (we were able to go to Kooteney,Banff, and Jasper!)

The next time me and my family go to hike Banff, there is no question about where we are staying...DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Couger chalets are big enough for 6 full-grown adults...there is also a couch in the living room whi...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Reeta K
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Firstly, this place is excellent value for money. We stayed in a clean, nice, 3 bedroom unit for roughly $100.00 per night. As standards go, this is a pretty good place.

This being said, we have read some reviews about other units being less well-maintained and I can understand why these people were upset with their stay. However, ours was clean and well maintained.

Secondly, the Chalet is in an excellent location. It is in the middle of town. There is a pedestrian crossing behind the Chalet that allows people to cross the CPR tracks easily to the main street in town

Thirdly, there is a hot tub, pool table and foosball table on site. In addition to a BBQ.

Fourthly, the staff is helpful and friendly.

The downsides are the following:

Firstly, it is very close to the railway tracks. But so what. The windows are new and shut out most of the noise and what isn't close to the CPR tracks in Canmore?!

Also, I generally bring ear-plugs whenever I am not sleeping at home because there can be a host of noises that a hotel/motel guest experiences in the course of their stay.

Secondly, the hot tub and other amenities closes at 9:30 pm. This is a little bit early, but perhaps there is a reason for this (e.g. partiers who make too much noise)

I would suggest that the hot tub remain open, on a case-by-case basis for more mature individuals.

Thirdly, the wi-fi was not always reliable. I am not sure where the main router is housed, but perhaps the Chalet could improve the wi-fi service -- it needs to be improved for total satisfaction.

Generally speaking, I would recommend this establishment for the above reasons. We were thoroughly impressed.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Stampedepalomino
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Four adults shared a two bedrooms apartment. The location was great, plenty of places to eat within walking location. We had a night at Oh Canada Eh, dinner show which was really good. The rooms could do with a revamp but it was still a pleasant place to stay

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Attracted to this place by an online coupon promo, sure was not disappointed. 2 floors, all 3 bedrooms on 2nd floor. Very spacious ideal for a family of 4 but not much more unless you are all single and drunk!

Room Tip: ask for the odd numbered rooms, away from rail track
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family