“So many red flags .......”
Review of Mountain View Inn

Mountain View Inn
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Canmore
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel after booking through Expedia. Friendly warning, make sure you know the cancellation/refund policy of your online booking. Our booking was non refundable 72 hours prior before arrival. So needless to say we could not walk out once we arrived unless we wanted to lose over a $100 and still have to find a place to sleep for the night during peak season. The room obviously had not been used for a while, dust bunnies everywhere, the shower had not been cleaned properly from the previous guest, main light burnt out, remote for TV not working and the two chairs were broken. The front desk service was horrible and they should really sent their staff to some customer service training. I would NEVER stay in this hotel again and will not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Plenty of other hotels in the area, just book early so you get a good rate
1  Thank 474michey

Reviewed 31 August 2013

My wife & I absolutely love the Bow Valley area and Banff National Park. So much so that we were married at the Fairmont Banff Springs in 2010. Typically we choose to stay in Banff but due to a huge influx of attendees for the 2013 GranFono we decided to try Canmore.

Canmore is a wonderful place, where people can walk their dogs or ride their bicycle while basking in the beauty of the mountains. However at the end of the day do not expect to bring your dog or your bicycle into the Mountain View Inn. The hotel stated quite bluntly no dogs allowed in the room, and no bicycles either. Their solution; go buy a lock for the bike and leave the dog in the vehicle.

In hindsight I wish I too had slept in the vehicle with our dog.

The beds are rock hard and the room furnishing appear to be relics from the 1980s. Every aspect of this hotel is outdated, and worn out. The "lovely" "lady" at the desk was quite curt and dismissive as if we were somehow wasting her time when we phoned to book. We requested an early check-in which when we arrived was an hour behind schedule.

Additionally the only mountain view you will experience from the hotel is either from the parking lot, or if you decide to scale a wall and sleep on the roof. Honestly we should have known better, and will not make this mistake again. Please spend a little bit extra and stay in a place that will better represent the beauty and splendor that is Canmore.

Room Tip: Avoid this place at all cost
2  Thank BillyWoods
Reviewed 28 August 2013

AC didn't work. Mountain View has NO VIEW. It's an older property with smallish rooms. Could have been worse, could have been a lot better. No pool, no restaurant. If I were going back, I'd pay a bit more for a better place to stay.

Room Tip: Shop around
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Terry S
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Chose the Mountain View because of the cheap price. Our room was quite acceptable - spacious and clean. However, the procedures for check in , and other rules of the house will keep us from staying there again. Firstly , we arrived at about 2 PM, and were told that we couldnt do the check in paperwork till 4, and would have to come back then. At check in, we were told that we would have to accept a $100 preauthorization on our credit card for every room key that we were given, which would be cancelled "within a day or two" if we returned the key. Finally , we were told that bicycles were not allowed in the rooms, and that there were no other storage rooms available in the building - we would have to "chain our bike to a post outside, or leave it in the car."
Strange rule for a hotel in one of the cycling meccas of Canada......
Our recommendation - find another place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Geoff S
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I Booked this hotel recently and the problems started with Very poor or no Air Conditioning in the rooms, Tried 2 different room with no luck. DO NOT Stay here if you require Air Cooling. Beds are Hard and very uncomfortable. Will not stay here again.

1  Thank sfranco4223
Reviewed 3 August 2013

If you come here, you're coming for the value. I didn't find anything to complain about or rave about. The rooms are smallish, the breakfast is non-existent...that's my full list of complaints. One of the front desk people was very nice...the other, not so much but tolerable. My room was clean to my standards and the bed was satisfactory. It was worth what I paid for it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I booked two nights at the Mountain View Inn through a Groupon offer. I read the reviews prior to booking a reservation for my boyfriend and I but did notice that new management had recently taken over and decided to give them a chance. First impression, It is an old two story motel with green carpet and a vending machine in the lobby, not the fanciest place. I knew I was getting a good deal so the décor wasn’t that big of an issue, the place was clean and the carpets seemed to just be washed. Our room was on the second floor in the corner, the room is huge with a street view and mountain view. The furniture is from the 80s but I had a working tv, fridge and microwave. Within 20 minutes of being there two gentlemen opened the door noticed me on the bed and closed the door. I was a little weirded out but let it go as they looked like maintenance men, we had issues with the rooms air conditioner and had to sweat through our first night’s stay until the next day when a new air conditioner could be installed. The staff did try to accommodate with a fan but honestly it was not enough we had a miserable time sleeping. The maintenance men spent the better half of our second night in and out of the room installing the new air conditioner. I could have lived with the décor and air conditioning issues and been content with our stay but the staff seem to have no concept for privacy and barge into a room without even knocking. The front desk employee walked into the room and noticed us in the room and said “oh you’re here, sorry, I came to get the fan back” at that point I was peeved that was the second time she had allowed herself into the room. How could you be shocked that your guests are in their rooms? I didn’t mind the interprets just the fact that they don’t knock before unlocking the door became a problem. We started dressing I the bathroom just in case.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple