“Great food but unacceptable service”

Gaucho Brazilian Barbecue
Ranked #3 of 121 Restaurants in Canmore
Price range: US$14 - US$34
Cuisines: Barbecue, Brazilian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Feel transported as ancient Brazilian traditions come alive in our churrascaria - our house of barbecue - and special place that bursts with authentic South American atmosphere. Enjoy the rich sights and sounds that echo our unique history and dedication to superior taste, while traditionally dressed servers offer an incredible selection of perfectly roasted meats to choose from. Celebrate any occasion in these perfect settings, located in Calgary and Canmore, AB.
Canmore, Canada
“Great food but unacceptable service”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

We live in town and been eating here for couple of times especially the Lunch Raudizio, we just love it all the time. The other night last June 24th, we tried their Dinner for 40$, quite pricey but everything is great, more selection of meat, very juicy and tasty. For service: we could say the guys did an excellent service, I am referring to those who where serving the meat. Very nice and friendly.

However, everything was ruined when the server who sat us and just gave us the bill did something that made us feel insulted. We asked her twice to take a picture of us, she went away and pretended to go to other tables. I waited for more than 15-20min and she came back asking if we need a new plate. I let it go and I was thinking she forgot. I saw other nice servers taking picture of their tables. I am not sure what's wrong with taking our picture if we asked her politely? Me and my friends haven't seen each other for a long time and we just decided to hang out and have a nice dinner.

My friend asked her again in a polite way if she can take a picture of us but she said she need to take an order from another table. We finally asked the bill. She handed it to us "folded" (not showing the food order but highlighting the 15%-20% "customary" gratuity.

We felt insulted but we ignored it. I asked the guy (who is giving the meat) if we can give him the tip directly because we really appreciate his service, but he said it's ok if we just give it to "Mary". We didn't give her 15% because I think we have the right to decide how much we should leave.
We gave her 8$. Then she came back pointing that we should give her 15 or 20%!! That was so rude of her to say that. I don't know if that was proper way to deal with customers. I always give more than 20% if I really like the service. She was even mumbling while she left our table and talking loud in their open kitchen.

I really would like to come back for the food. But this "old blonde lady" made me so upset. This is a tourist town and nobody should discriminate everyone regardless of our race or age. She even said, "well he took your picture". I hope the owner/manager will teach her a lesson for being disrespectful. Very disappointed. Never experience that before when we used to eat lunch.

2 Thank travellover3014

• Korean first
Calgary, Canada
“Great food Low carb dieter's dream come true!”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Lots of selection and majority are low carb freindly. Food is fantastic with bar-b-q hot off the grill arriving at your table continuously through out the evening. Great place for diabetics, or people doing Atkins, South Beach or Paleo diet :D

Visited June 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“A great surprise”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We ate here last week, it was the last day of our holiday in Canada and it was a bit strange to find such an exotic restaurant there..we were a bit reluctant, also because it was empty at that time (maybe it was a bit early at 12/12:30, but we are from northern Italy, and there we eat early)!
But, being fond of brazilian cuisine and tired of sandwiches and hamburger, we tought to give it a chance.

Well, I can totally say that this was the surprise of the entire holiday! The staff was really kind, especially the waiter, he explained us all the menu and he had also a small talk with us during the meal..such a nice guy! sorry for not remembering your name!! by the way all the staff is 100% brazilian!

This is a churrascaria, so you have a round of grilled mixed meat where you can eat all you want..and you can also have a lot of good stuff in the salad buffet!
The meat was reaaaally good, I didn't appreciate so much the sausages (my problem with sausages around the world..too fatty) but the other types of meat were delicious!

I really loved the salad bar, they had a wonderful spinach, strawberry and feta salad, and all the sides that a churrascaria must have (feijoada, a lovely aromatic rice and the best farofa I've ever tried!!)
We were there for lunch so we had the lunch/brunch menu which includes also a choice of waffles, muffins, coffee etc directly in the salad bar. Unfortunately I was too full with meat and farofa to give it a try..

Over all it was a super positive experience, and I absolutely recommend this restaurant to everyone, especially because it was really cheap compared for the quality of the food and service (I think 25 dollars each). Soooo happy to have chosen this place!

1 Thank ilaria_TC
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“THIS IS THE BEST FOOD EVER”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Great service, Great food and drinks, Great big belly absolutely full. The staff were friendly, happy and very knowledgable. Anyone who gives this a bad review should be cooked on the barbecue!

1 Thank Scottadvisor74
Groningen, The Netherlands
“different from what we know”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

being on holiday in the Rockies we stayed 2 nights in Canmore and the second evening we eat in the Gaucho for Brasilian bbq. We did not know what it is so we tried it out. A good salad buffet and the bbq is done by the cook and serves one after each other the meat. 10 different pieces of meat, chicken etc. The taste and the amount was very good.

I am wondering whether this system is available in Holland

1 Thank Rudi O