“Good Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Canmore
Calgary, Canada
“Good Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

The young man that checked us in was very pleasant and later that afternoon when we asked for the number of a local cab company he arranged the time for us to be picked up. the over all feeling of the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

For the price, I was very impressed.

I was surprised the breakfast room didn`t open until 7am. I`m an early riser, so this was very close to being a problem for me. Breakfast was your basic microwaved hotel `food.`
The waterslide is crazy-fun (I`m 30yrs old and it made me giggle), and the hot tub is huge.

I will gladly stay again. I might plan breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Do not get placed by the breakfast room or by the check-in counter. The guest are vey loud and the walls are paper thin. I had no sleep for two night, could not wait to get home. the pool was also not as clean as it should be. the side of the pool had some grime on the edges. The rooms were nice and clean with good decor.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Kristi H
Red Deer
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

By far, this is our favourite place to stay in Canmore. The rooms are nice (though they are currently being renovated). If you can, get a larger room with a balcony - the standard rooms are fine, but the extra space in the larger rooms is definitely nice. Rooms have a Keurig, fridge, microwave and a decent TV with HD channels. The location is handy to everything, but it is a bit of a walk to downtown - Timmy's & McD's are right next door. The pool area is excellent for families - waterslide, nice pool, hot tub, steam room, sauna, exercise facility. The breakfast is your typical "free" breakfast, but there are plenty of choices and the breakfast room is very nice. I have stayed here with family and for staff development and have never been disappointed.

Room Tip: If you can, get a larger room with a balcony - the standard rooms are fine, but the extra space in t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I loved this hotel, I would recommend it to anyone. The service, the room, the ammenities. I have not one complaint about this hotel. The room was warm and inviting, the smell when you got off the elevator was a fresh lavender scent. I thought I was at a spa! They had nice soaps from a local shop and a Kerig (coffee machine) in the room! Awesome! I know you will enjoy your stay here, I know I did. <3

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Whitecourt, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel while attending a conference in Canmore. This little jewel is one worth staying at. The staff were super friendly and the complimentary breakfast was great.

My room was large complete with a fridge, microwave and Kuerig coffee machine. The washroom was huge and recently update with new tiles, and countertops. There was a fireplace in the room that worked on a timer. The bed was very comfortable and the view from the window was worth it.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Margareer
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Pocaterra is one of the nicer Best Westerns I have frequented. It's an easily accessible property off the TransCanada Highway, just over an hour's drive from Calgary, depending on traffic. I stayed here as a much cheaper alternative to staying in Banff, less than $100/night. They offer free wifi.

The lobby is warm and inviting, and the staff professional and courteous. Parking is free, although in the evenings, spots filled up quickly and it was tough to find a space near an entrance. It snowed a substantial amount the night before/morning of my departure. By the time I left the hotel at 10am, the sidewalk leading up to the hotel hadn't been cleared, nor had the parking lot. This was disappointing and dangerous, as it was very slippery out. Note there is only one elevator - it's busy and slow. I ended up taking the stairs most times.

There is a moderately-sized pool which I was unable to use, but it was very popular. Unfortunately, I stayed over a weekend when there was a boys hockey tournament in town. The hotel was overrun with kids who essentially took over the pool, hogged every seat in the breakfast area and were up till well past midnight (at least on my floor) making noise. In spite of all this, I still enjoyed myself.

The room was a bit on the small side, but cozy. The comfortable bed and gas fireplace more than made up for this, especially on nights when the temperature dipped to -20ºC. It was lovely to fall asleep to the warmth of the fire. Room also had a great selection of coffee and tea. Good selection of TV channels. The bathroom was pretty standard, with both a tub and shower. Nice fluffy towels. Bring your own hairdryer though. I found the one supplied was too weak and it took forever to dry my hair.

Breakfast is free. Pocaterra had a great selection of food on offer (a rarity, I find), with lots of hot and cold items from which to choose. I asked if I could take some fruit for later and the staff had no problem with this. I left full and happy each time, in spite of said hockey player kids and their chaperons taking up most of the seats. If you don't have this kind of patience, there is a Tim Horton's and a Wendy's next door and a McDonald's just a bit down the road.

I came to the Bow Valley for a wedding, where I was on flower duty for the bridesmaids. The bouquets were picked up the day before the ceremony. The staff went out of their way to ensure sufficient space was cleared out in their fridges to allow the flowers to be stored overnight. I really appreciated this.

I found the Pocaterra to be good value for money. Would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the room face the highway, however, I didn't find the noise to be tha...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo