“Thai-errific!”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014

After a scenic hike on the Grassi Lake trail, we were looking for a quick meal. We have passed Thai It Up on previous trips to Canmore and decided it was time to give it a try. We are very sorry we didn't check it out sooner!

I had the fish tacos (a special that day) and my husband ordered the Pad Thai with chicken - both dishes were outstanding! My fish tacos were listed as an appetizer, but the three tacos were generously stuffed with a nice piece of mild white fish, cabbage and a delicious mango salsa. The serving of pad thai was generous, with a shredded bbq'd chicken that was reported as excellent. There are many things on the menu I would like to try; you can be sure we will be back very soon. This time with kids in tow.

There are newer reviews for Thai It Up

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We are locals. When Thai It Up first started, they were an excellent take-out from a school bus in the main area of town. Food was good, plentiful and hot. Service and food quality has declined as they have grown and we will no linger order here. Often, they are out of main dishes on their menu. We have had take-out and eat-in. Service inside the restaurant has been slow, at best. I'm certain that part of the issue is the lack of available skilled help linked to housing in our community, but there is something to be said about staying small and delivering an excellent product. Most of the dishes don't even resemble what they were when this business started up. We'll cook our own Thai from now on and save our restaurant 'mad money' for other, more satisfying experiences in Canmore - and there are lots of those. Sorry…hope that Thai It Up can get back to some quality food.

1  Thank JanTanton
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Two of us went to Thai it Up and arrived before the dinner crowd got there. We had a pick of tables (It is a smallish place with less then 15 tables). The food looked and smelled awesome. The server came soon after we got there and gave us menus and took our drink order, appy order and our meal order. We ordered spring rolls for an appy. The presentation was really nice. The spring rolls were very pretty looking but more outside to them then there were insides (filling) to them although the flavor was good. We then waited and waited and waited the place filled with people. We finally after close to one hour asked our server if our food was coming as we had a committment to get to. One of the servers went into the back to check. A few minutes later the table next to us (who had been there 1/2 of time then we had) was served. Half of their order was correct and the other half was incorrect. Guess what it was ours. By that time the food had been touched. We waited a few more minutes for someone to come and let us know what was happening and by that time we had run out of time. (This was more then an hour later) We decided we had to go and as we were asking at the till what the bill was the server came out with our dinner and told us she could pack it up to go. We declined. We asked what our bill was so we could pay and to the credit of the man up front (I presume the owner or manager) he said that we did not have to pay for the beer, wine and appy. It was appreciated as it could have been a real bad experience and instead it was just one of those things that happen. Not too sure we will try it again. They seemed quite disorganized.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

things started off great with the appetizer of the papaya salad...very very good...also cute place when you walk in, we liked it at first.

all downhill from there.

my wife got a pad thai. we live in los angeles and have probably eaten at 100 thai places and we've also been to thailand...not one time ever...literally EVER...have we eaten a spicy pad thai....we were one of like only 3-4 tables eating the entire restaurant, my wife was disappointed and asked for some plum sauce to maybe cut the spice....literally only 3-4 tables eating in the entire place and it took him almost 20 minutes to bring her a small thing of plum sauce. by the time he brought it, she had just eaten it anyway, tired of waiting, and was disappointed.

my massaman curry was actually very tasty and very good. problem is, it tasted NOTHING like thai food. plenty of middle eastern spices and indian flavors as well....

Poor experience here overall for sure.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Well, our hotel recommended the place, I doubt they have eaten here.
We started out with fish tacos which I won't lie...were AWESOME! The spring rolls were good, nothing overly special.

The server howerever.../sigh. She came outside and her comment was, 'Oh I knew there was something I should be doing'. That was in reference to NOT coming to serve us for an extended period of time. Refill on water? Don't expect it. The best service we received from the place was from the actual owner himself. Thank goodness for him. We were the only people in the restaurant for the majority of our stay, there were four women just standing around talking while we were waiting for service. HORRIBLY disappointed.

The main dishes...even bigger /sigh. I ordered the pad thai...no flavor..at all. None/zilch/zip/nada/zippo. I so wanted some pad thai that night, too. Still..worse pad thai ever, just no flavor. Husband ordered masmuman (spelling) curry. Dunno what he's trying to fuse the thai flavor with, but it's not working buddy. Again, we were curious what it was they actually brought to the table. My friend ordered butter chicken because we told her she HAD to try it. What they brought out was not butter chicken, fusion or not. Not sure what the flavor profile was supposed to be, but there was not a hint of the normal flavor in it. She ate 2 maybe 3 bites. I felt horrible for her.

All in all, unless you get the fish tacos, don't bother. Fusion should be a nice marriage of flavors...still waiting for the flavors to arrive =(