“Not worth the time, effort and money!!!”

Sunset Resorts Canmore
Lethbridge, Canada
“Not worth the time, effort and money!!!”
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We booked a weekend for myself and boy friend and it was really disappointing. First, booking.com led us to believe we were getting a condo suite for a cheaper rate which wasn't so when we got there. When we arrived the guy didn't understand what had happened but we accepted the charges for the larger room which he gave us at a discounted price. They took a damage deposit from my credit card which I've never experienced before. He guy told us because he wasnt expecting us to have the suite, that we might have to take our bedding out of the dryer in the room and make our bed up ourselves. The room was nice but VERY out dated, the DVD machine was broken, the bed hard as a rock and the bedding was practically sheets so
I was very cold all night. Lights were burnt out, pillows were flat and oooooold! They charge an extra $25 for extra towels so if you have long hair, sucks to be you! Upon checking out, the woman behind the counter had no idea about us switching rooms and tried to charge us extra for being there without any word of giving us our damage deposit back. She wasn't authorized to print off recipes or refund money and later found our she was the hotel maid. so we had to wait 5 days until I was refunded my money.... After NUMEROUS phone calls. The manager was absent the entire time... Was incredibly unimpressed and will never stay here again. Canmore is such a beautiful place and have stayed in way better hotels but will never again come back to this one.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ellie A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed at this resort through Interval in late August. The units on the third floor are nicer, but the want $50 a night extra. Second had two bedrooms and were smaller but they did the trick. BBQ was very dirty and needed cleaning which was for general use on the main floor. The unit was clean and not as bad as all the reviews. Gary did a nice job keeping us happy. The free park passes were an excellent idea and saved us at least $100. IRON GOAT was a great place to eat and Rose and Crown as well. We would stay at the location again and pay the extra $50 a night next time.

Room Tip: ask for west side that looks at mountain.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank manzyLV
Edmonton
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Sunset Resorts in Canmore: We just got back from a week in Canmore. The condo was well appointed with everything that you need including a washer and dryer; and extremely clean. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The resort does not have a pool of their own, however, has set up a deal with the resort beside it for a fee of $50 per week, well worth the money!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jograff
Sanford, MB Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Spent a very enjoyable week (August 27 to Sept 3, 2011) at Sunset Resorts. Our suite (on the 2nd floor) was very spacious with a panoramic view of the mountains. The unit had all the amenities required including a very comfortable king size bed with duvet and lovely thick towels. The suite also included a bonus of a washer and dryer. Not only is the parking free but it is also inside and very secure and even our large truck fit. The owners and staff were very helpful in all respects. Phil and Steve hosted an informative meeting highlighting the area attractions plus a hilarious games-night party. Steve also lead a fun and interesting hike on a nearby trail in the mountains. The resort is located within walking distance of shops, groceries, liquor store, coffee shop, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BricksBF
Spruce Grove, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I was VERY disappointed with this hotel. For the same price you can stay in a beautiful new suite, which I have encountered every other time in Canmore. More often than note I am blown away with the quality of the accommodations in Canmore. This was not the case with the Sunset Mountain Inn. I am not a picky traveller, but when I know that I could have gotten something 100% better for the same price, that makes me very upset. I kick myself for not checking Trip Advisor and for not taking pictures.

We were travelling through Canmore and decided to book our hotel in advance. I came across this hotel and it looked very nice on the website. The pictures of the updated suites with the beautiful finishes on the Travelocity website, along with the resorts website, do not represent what you actually get. What we got was a run down room.

The main lobby was not easy to find upon arrival. Once we checked in, we went to our room through the run down halls. There had been no updates done to our room. Everything was old in the room. The walls in our room were scuffed and dirty. The carpets were worn down and I could tell they had not been throughly vacuumed as there was a distinct area behind the door that had not been touched in i'm not sure how long.

The bathroom was clean, but not in good shape. The corner of the mirror was cracked off, then glued back on, and there was not even a plate on the socket. I'm pretty sure that is not to code.

In the main area, there was a mini fridge, which had a microwave on top of it, then the coffee maker on top of that. To make coffee, you had to take it off of the microwave and teeter it on the edge of the fridge as the cord was not long enough.

There were no working ice machines other than in the common area. We had to ask the front desk where to find it as the place is amaze. When we opened the ice machine, we found someone was storing their steaks in it. By this time we didn't care and took the ice from the other side.

I would never recommended this resort to anyone. This was not the best foot to start my vacation off on, but at least I knew it couldn't get any worse!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jojabee

Travellers are raving about these Canmore hotels

Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My wife a friend and I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of July , beginning of August 2011.
I will list in point form things I think you will need to know if you are thinking of staying at this property.
- The building is clean enough and so was the room we were in.
- The lobby isn't open or manned all hours so if you need help after hours you need to call. Lucky for us we didn't need too.
- Since the Lobby isn't manned after hours you need to carry an additional key (over and above your room key card) to get into the building. Or to get into the elevator at any time from the underground parking.
- The extra key doesn't work all that well but it does work. ( You have to forcefully giggle it until it finally works.) This happens in the elevator doors from the parkade. When asked the staff informed us to giggle the key and it will work. ( Good fix )
- Underground parking was free but the door was short at 6'1" so no SUV with roof carrier.
- Wireless Internet was an extra charge in your room but you could use the computer down in the lobby.
- There are no hot tubs or pools on the property but you can use the ones next door for you guessed it a fee for the day.
- The cleaning staff was nice and helpful.
- The lobby staff was nice as well but the night guy didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about because when we checked in he told us we had a suite but it ended up being a room with the queen size beds.
- The beds were ok. I slept well but the pillows are thin and lumpy. ( Bring your own )
- The whole building is out of date and everything was older, IE. TV. paint, etc. This doesn't bother me as long as things work and they did but others may be turned off.

All in all for the price this room was not worth it. The pictures shown on Trip for this property don't represent the room we stayed in so don't be fooled.
In my opinion the room was worth $70 a night not double that which is the price we paid through Travelocity. I do understand this is Canmore and the hotels can ask more but then don't try and nickel and dime on the extras.
There are better choices in Canmore than this property at comparable pricing so unless this is the last room in town ( Last Resort ) then try a different place to stay.

Room Tip: Just try a different hotel and don't bother with this property.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Viajar_desde_Alberta
Alberta
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway for our anniversary.

Location is great, within walking distance to shops and restaurants, and of course amazing views and outdoor atmosphere!

The rooms were shabby, outdated and incredibly disappointing based on the price. Parking was horrible. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple