“Great Experience”

Sunset Resorts Canmore
Reviewed 23 July 2007

We exchanged to this unit through interval. We own at a Marriott and have similar standards and expectations for our stay. I tried to make sure my expectations weren't too high because I had read previous reviews. And while it wasn't necessarily the level of a Marriott type establishment, I would never hestitate to stay here again or to recommend my family & friends stay here.

As the previous poster indicated, there were some minor issues.
But all of those things aside, what totally made up for that was the service we receieved once we were checked in. We were invited to a continental breakfast the next morning which they said was to help us with our itineraries. I did not want to go because i was sure this was the standard timeshare pitch but my wonderful husband insisted. I'm very glad he did. There was no pitch and staff made it clear there would not be one unless we wanted one. They truly just wanted to let us know what activities were available to us as a group and assist us in planning things to do on our own. They had group trips for hiking, biking, white water rafting and invited us all to a steak & chicken barbecue the following night (complete w/cocktails) and then a going away cocktail party on Thursday night.

I've stayed at plenty of marriotts and yes, the construction and appointment of the units may be a step up but the down to earth service we received from the folks here went way above and beyond anything we expected. And while the bottom line is that this resort, like all timeshare resorts, wants to sell timeshares, they do it by creating relationships and being great at customer service rather than the hard sell approach. I think most people appreciate that.

Don't hesitate to stay at the Canmore Sunset. It was a great experience and very convienent to everything...

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Pookerpug

Reviewed 17 July 2007

My husband and I came in here on a timeshare exchange. For some reason we were expecting to be disappointed and this was reinforced at first by the difficulty we had in finding the reception area. When you pull in there is a sign directing you to the back of the building; when you get there another sign directs you to the hotel next door that they recently purchased. A tad frustrating! However, the staff at reception made up for this by personally escorting us to our one bedroom unit and making sure we understood how everything worked. The unit (207) is nicely decorated, with a wonderful view of the mountains. The kitchen is stocked with salt and pepper, dishwashing powder and liquid, coffee, tea and sugar. Unusual in a timeshare, the resort also supplies laundry soap, daily garbage removal and mid-week exchange of linens and towels. The shower is a large, walk-in. A full slate of activities is offered including a welcome breakfast and a BBQ of steak/chicken. There are NO timeshare sales pitches. Although the TransCanada Highway is on one side and the train tracks on the other, the unit is relatively quiet. On the negative side, although parking is indoor, when the fans are on it is almost impossible to open the door to the elevators, the air pressure is so high. We would have liked a TV in the bedroom. We didn't have a balcony and there is no place outside at the resort to just sit and enjoy the scenery. I know it is more convenient for laundry not to have to sort out sheet sizes, but fitted king size sheets would have been more comfortable than unfitted ones that won't stay tucked in.
The resort is working on getting wireless internet into the individual units which will be more convenient than going to the lounge (aren't we getting fussy ? at one time we would not have had any access!)
All in all, we enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to you.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank t42
Reviewed 22 February 2007

We stayed here recently through an Interval International timeshare swap. The unit (no 205) was very nice, comfortable and clean. One thing we would say is that it was a two-bedroom unit that was supposed to sleep six people, but we felt it would be too cosy to accommodate this amount of people!! The lounge area was very small (compared to other timeshares we have stayed in). Underground parking, which in the recent wintry conditions in Alberta, were really handy. Close to all local amenities, supermarkets etc. No problems with noise from the nearby railway line either.

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank TheCloos65
Reviewed 21 December 2006

Arrived with 2 buddies. We were able to pay a small upgrade to a three bedroom suite with two baths and a HUGE living area. You could easily entertain 8-12 people in this suite. We had a 2 person Jacuzzi tub in the master with ensuite. The second bedroom had southern exposure with a queen sized bed. The third bedroom had two single beds. we flipped a coin & I lost, so I slept in the back room on the single for the first night, but found the fold out couch in the huge main room more to my liking on night two.
The staff were very helpful, they really seem to want everyone to be well accommodated. We found the golf to be fantastic, though quite challenging.The area is absolutely stunning. The town is very charming, and the locals seem very laid back. A few nice little pubs, one with a live band, and some great resterarunts made our stay that much more enjoyable. We had coffee(supplied) in the morning and made breakfast in the suite. All new appliances. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
3  Thank apartyingkindofguy
Reviewed 20 October 2006

It was purely luck that we stayed in this resort. We ware looking for an overnight stay in Canmore, and just drove by. On the outside it looks not very attractive, and just because of the name ‘resort’ we decided to ask for a room. It was amazing what the employee let me see!!! The last minute senior rate was also very attractive, so no hesitation at all to stay here. A very nice apartment with a living room, large kitchen with beautiful tableware and everything else, like a toaster, microwave, huge fridge, dishwasher etc. There is a bathroom with a spacious shower unit, a closet with a new washer and dryer (even with wash powder, free for use! I could do all my washes) and a bedroom with a whirlpool. There are two TV sets, DVD player and there is a gas fireplace. The service is also very very good. In the reception you can use a computer for free. Because this one was occupied, I (and other guests) could use the computers in the office in the evening.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BA-traveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Lindstrom, MN
Reviewed 19 July 2006

Outstanding people working here!! We became friends with everybody there. Breakfast,BBQ,hikes, etc.... , sign up for everything! Anything we needed, they took care of. The hike to Grassi lakes was especially fun. Thanks, you all, for a great vacation!!!

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 May 2006

This is a wonderful motel to stay at!!! We were traveling for our 20th anniversary and happened upon this motel. The owner was kind and pleasant. The room was very homey and comfortable and clean. It was so peaceful and we were able to simply relax!! The continental breakfast was perfect!! I recommend this hotel to everyone passing through this way!!!

3  Thank Ekkaia