“A perfect blend”

Ranked #1 of 31 Canmore B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“A perfect blend”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Paintbox is the perfect blend of rustic that you would expect when choosing to stay in a "Logde", modern that lets you simply relax and not worry, and cozy with style. The deep bath tub was a unexpected and pleasant surprise that I enjoyed thoroughly with my cup of fresh tea from the main kitchen downstairs. The staff are genuine and obviously love the place, the owners are local, the included breakfast is home-made and excellent, and the efforts at sustainable and local sourcing are commendable. You are right around the corner from downtown Canmore and can walk anywhere in a minute or two.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Sara_Renner, Owner at Paintbox Lodge, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. All of our rooms have deep soaker tubs that our guests enjoy after a day of adventures in the mountains. Glad you enjoyed them, along with our location and breakfast. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Rossland, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We were in Canmore for a week of cross country ski competitions. As we were a larger group we booked the entire hotel.
The week at the paintbox was perfect! The rooms are very comfortable, there is a quiet and relaxing atmosphere, the kitchen and food is excellent, and the downtown is out the door, all of canmore can be accessed on foot.
The staff and management are pleasant and very helpful with anything to make your stay enjoyable

Room Tip: All rooms are good, it depends on your needs
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Sara_Renner, Owner at Paintbox Lodge, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
We love skiers and are honoured to have Canada's up and coming athletes stay with us. As former skiers, we know how important a good night sleep and healthy food are for athletes. Best of luck for the rest of the winter!
alberta
Reviewed 3 January 2014

What a great place!. The moment you walk through the door you can feel the labor of love that has made this place amazing. Everything about it is just amazing. As you walk the few steps to the wood reception desk you are greeted by the smiling owner operator who sincerely makes you feel welcomed. After a quick check in and a tutorial of the very nice coffee machine, you make your way up the wood stairs to one of the 5 rooms. Ours was room number 3. the artist loft suite. It is so amazingly decorated. Has a main room with a large bed and a gas fireplace, a flick of a light switch and voila, the boy scout in all of us comes out. It has 3 nice sitting chairs to unwind in after a day of mountain air. There is a smaller separate room with a queen bed, closet and tables. The bathroom has a nice glass shower stall with river rock on the floor instead of tile, very neat feeling on the feet as you shower. I am a very big guy and i fit well in the shower and stones felt awesome. There is also a soaker tub for two. Very Very clean and well kept room. I am over the top germ freak and i felt comfortable the second i walked into the room. They have room darkening curtains on all 3 windows and the large patio door that opens up to a nice sitting deck with a small table and chairs to enjoy the other 3 seasons that Canmore has to offer. They also have an ipod docking station in both rooms. There is also ample wall plugs to charge all your gadgets. Wine opener and wine glasses.
The important things to remember is it is a boutique hotel. On day of check there will most likely not be anyone to check you in until specified time. Just park your car and enjoy the town of canmore until check in. The parking is in the back of the building off the main road. Reserved for registered guests. You are only 25 feet or so from front door of hotel. The kitchen area that has 24 hour coffee machine also is where you will have a nice small spread of breakfast goodies before you start your day. Fresh bread. Home made yogurt. Granola. If you are adventurous there is a machine that you can use to make your own freshly squeezed orange juice. There are two long wood kitchen tables that guests sit at while eating breakfast, sharing stories. Very comfortable setting.
I truly cannot say enough great things about my stay at the Paintbox lodge. I cant wait until March and my next stay. Almost booked new years but since its only Jan 3 that might be a tad over prepared. :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sara_Renner, Owner at Paintbox Lodge, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you kindly for your review. We are happy you found us and enjoyed our boutique hotel. Looking forward to your visit in March.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I was looking for a perfect little lodge type accommodation with a personal touch/feel/ambiance that wasn't outdated or cheesy. I found pictures of Paintbox lodge and went to the website. When I read that the owners were past World Cup & Olympic downhill ski racing medalists who focused on sustainability, I was intrigued. I just loved everything I read and thought it would be the perfect place to stay for me and my 3 1/2yr old girl. I was sure they'd be booked, but luckily I caught the bubble between Thanksgiving and Christmas and booked Studio 6. It was smaller than the pictures I saw, but it was cozy and since I wanted a discount and a cheaper room, I felt it was fair. Gini and Kate were very hospitable and made wonderful fritattas for breakfast in the Miele Kitchen using local ingredients. My little girl loved the fresh orange juice squeezer. Gini brought a stool over so my daughter could help pull on the lever to make her own orange juice for breakfast. They were also very helpful with directing us with things to do in Canmore such as where to rent skates, go skiing, and places to eat.

P.S. The bed and pillows were comfortable.

P.P.S. The water is amazing!

Note: There is no bar soap. Just one liquid hand soap at bathroom sink and one hand/body liquid soap on tub, and shampoo/body wash dispensers in shower. And the blow dryer was virtually useless. Good thing I brought my own.

Room Tip: Studio 6 is small but cozy. Not much counter space. Very high ceilings with beams. Tall windows o...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Sara_Renner, Owner at Paintbox Lodge, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for your review and your visit with your 3 year old. We are family friendly and happy little people get to enjoy the hotel too. We opted out of hand soap and have soap dispensers as we didn't like to throw out soap after each stay. And thank you for the feedback on our hair dryers. Time for an upgrade.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I am in Canmore a couple of times a year and always look forward to staying at the Paintbox. Like coming home. Comfortable, with great home made breakfasts. Easy walking to everything. Best of all is the staff. All delightful and passionate about Canmore. My home away from home.

Room Tip: No bad rooms here.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Sara_Renner, Owner at Paintbox Lodge, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Sometimes guests become family and we are grateful for your friendship and support. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The Paintbox Lodge is fantastic. I stayed there for one night only (sadly), however had a very positive experience. The Lodge is right in the centre of town, Thomas was so helpful & I loved the time I spent talking with him & my stay in general.

Rooms are superb. Canmore is a little oasis in the Rockies. Breakfast was divine. I highly recommend Paintbox & look forward to returning again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Sara_Renner, Owner at Paintbox Lodge, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for your review. Canmore is truly a special place and we are glad the Paintbox could be part of your great experience. Come visit us again!
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I rented out the lodge for our wedding, and it was perfection. It was the perfect venue for a small wedding, and Mallory was so accommodating and friendly and helpful! The food was done by the in-house chef, and everyone absolutely loved it! We will definitely return in the near future, as well as the attendees of the wedding who would not stop raving about the lodge!!! So beautiful there!! Mallory and the other staff were so friendly with the kids attending too. This is an amazing place to go for romantic getaways and family/friend gatherings!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Sara_Renner, Owner at Paintbox Lodge, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Congratulations on your wedding. We host weddings in our quiet season and our venue is perfect for intimate gatherings. We can accommodate up to 18 overnight guests and we have many options for in house dining. Thank you for taking the time to write the review and we hope to see you back for an anniversary!