“Clean & friendly”

Hostel Bear
Global Nomad
“Clean & friendly”
Reviewed 8 May 2011

The hostel seems to have just recently changed management and is kept very clean, infact the staff always seem to be cleaning (sometimes there seems to be no staff around due to their cleaning duties). Rooms are comfortable and very well equipped with lockers and ensuite bathroom in even the largest of dorm rooms.

Kitchen & common areas are very good and safe with lots of cctv cameras around to keep an eye on anyone who might get light fingered. Excellent laundry facilities and extra bathrooms on both floors.

The only downside i can see/hear is the location to the train tracks which alot of hotels in the area share a similar proximity. There also seems to be a problem with the key card access system but is safe because your card needs re-programming almost every day. Rooms near the bar on a busy night can get noisy but it is a hostel and not a hotel.

Other than that the place is faultless and well priced for the area.

Room Tip: Book a week for a cheaper rate.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Canmore, Canada
Reviewed 20 December 2010

Me and my girlfriend came to this hostel from Australia, we found it through hostelbookers.com and once we arrived we were very surprised at how amazing it truly was. The pictures are slightly misleading as the layout of the common areas have been changed but it is still very nice and functional. We both enjoyed our stay very much and loved how there was staff on duty 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. The staff love there job and do 12 hr shifts so the majority of your day you will see the same staff member and when they switch they get along and communicate and problems that happened so when you approach again the night staff is familiar with the situation and helps you out as much as they can. We came from a different part of the world with no friends just the two of us and left knowing a lot more people and even became really good friends with 2 of the staff members. We would recommend this to anyone that is looking for a cheap room $30-80 even if you are looking for a hotel I would stay here it is almost the exact same just way more fun and you meet AMAZING staff and interesting people. It truly was a joy to stay here every day we were here. The train did go by but the fence at the back of the property cuts down on the noise a lot and its a soothing rumble no loud horn.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
canmore
Reviewed 1 February 2010

I stayed at this hostel in Jan and there were some strange people living there. One guy kept ogling me and tried to walk into me with his shirt unbuttoned all the way down his chest. I was yelled at by a staff member that I should tolerate these people. Was told by another staff member that some female guests were staying there and another guy staying there was harrassing them and ogling them and they reported it to the staff. Apparently not much was done because the guy kept harrassing those girls and they ended up calling the cops and were arrested. Sounds like they don't respect women at this hostel. Also, rooms not that clean, garbage not emptied, can be loud and noisy late at night. Private rooms are $70-$80 but you still have to make your own bed.
't

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank potatosalad64
mpettis, General Manager at Hostel Bear, responded to this review, 18 December 2011
Hello,

Firstly let me say thank you for the review, although it is a bad review I am pleased to have seen this as I have recently taken over The Hostel Bear and we are pleased to announce that things have changed around drastically in regards to staffing and guests. The hostel is a very safe and fun place to stay with great staff that is here to assist you with anything you may need 24 hours a day.

I am sorry that you had a bad time with The Hostel Bear during your previous stay and I hope that it did not spoil your mindset about us as I would love to have you stay with us and see that The Hostel Bear is indeed a safe place to stay, a fun place to stay, and most importantly a place where guests concerns are number 1.

I would also like to add that the reasoning behind people making their own beds in all rooms is to show we are not hiding anything under the covers. You get to know they have for sure been changed not just made to look changed by lazy housekeeping staff.

I welcome you to email me directly and we can discuss further on how we can arrange for you to come and enjoy the way The Hostel Bear is now operating.

Travellers are raving about these Canmore hotels

BANFF, ALBERTA
Reviewed 26 December 2009

Recently I had joys of experiencing Christmas in Canmore.
I decided to take a look at Hostel's and discovered the Hostel Bear.

I decided on the private room for $70 taxes included per night, other options are available. The room was spacious, there was its own washroom, with tub and shower, as well as TV, A table and chairs for eight which was nice.The common kitchen was great large enough for a few groups, and Individuals to make meals without getting in the way of each other, and all utensils, pots, pans and plates provided by the hostel. well placed storage and fridges mean’s there would be great left over’s for later. Clean-up was a breeze, with a well thought of dish cleaning area, and a great Dining area, and a place to be social,.

The Games room was a nice touch. The wireless was actually high speed and didn't have to wait, and worked well in the rooms, and when I was up at five in the morning the friendly night front desk person greeted me offered to brew a pot coffee, and asked if i wanted to watch the news or listen to music.

The people were once again great, some younger, most were a little older, which was great as night was super Quite, and the Hostel was super clean.

The Staff were super friendly, and very knowledgeable about the area, and knew how to make you feel like home. the staff took pride in their work, Which in turn gave others, and myself a great experience.

If taking Taxi in Canmore to get around I would Highly recommend" Mountain Taxi" [--], and because it was Christmas day, My driver simply said," Merry Christmas that will be 17cents". I have never had a taxi driver give me a discount let alone on Christmas day, He truly made my Christmas with this gesture.

Canmore is A great place, super friendly People, and Great mountain Views.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Calgary
Reviewed 19 March 2009

We had a great experiance while staying at the hostel. I bought a group of 14-17 year olds from our leardeship group dogsledding. Naturally they were aprehensive for their first stay in a hostelas the only referance point they had was a bad slasher film. We had a great time in the games room, the kitchen facilities were top notch and everything was healthy clean. The kids are even talking about backpacking now. Thanks guys

• Stayed January 2009
Vancouver
Reviewed 8 March 2009

I stayed at this hotel with a group of friends for 4 nights preceding and following New Year's Day, 2007.

On the positive side, the hotel was clean and well taken care of. The service was decent, and the staff were fairly friendly. Its location geographically is superb, being in Canmore, not too far from skiing and spectacular mountain scenery. It is also fairly close to the LC, and many of the pubs and restaurants in town. However, there are surely better bets in Canmore for your money.

The main problem is that the hotel is located about twenty feet from the train tracks, and trains blare their horns as they go by in either direction. Soon after the horns, you also get to enjoy the noise ( and feel the vibration ) from the train itself. Oh yeah, that's every time a train goes by, which happens frequently. Every other hour, day and night. I was awakened, from what I can remember, on average two or three times a night by the train.

Another problem is that, for how expensive it is, it doesn't really have that much too offer. I believe we paid $160, maybe $180 with taxes a night - and no balcony! How can you have a hotel in the mountains without a balcony? We did have a beautiful mountain view of Three Sisters out the window, but it would have been a lot nicer with a balcony. Also, there was no swimming pool. At many hotels in Canmore/Banff you can have a pool and balcony for that price in the winter. Unfortunately, this is all that was left by the time we booked. I can see why - not very good value for your money.

Add a balcony , maybe a pool ( and perhaps hand out ear plugs ) and this ain't too bad a hotel.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank TerriaEightyFour
Saskatoon
Reviewed 7 August 2008

My first impressions of the hostel were quite good...nice looking, fairly clean (although we did find an old dusty sock under our bed), and good facilities. They say they clean the bathrooms every day, I question this because they never seemed to restock the TP...
After a few weekdays, the weekend came, and with it came the problems...
Their reservation system doesn't work well. I was part of a group (arrived a few days earlier than the rest). Some of the group had to cancel and we called well ahead to cancel their spots, later to find out they weren't cancelled.
Their key card system is also faulty. In the week I was there I had to get my key fixed FOUR TIMES. Not only that, some people's keys were opening every door. Some random guy came into our room and passed out early Saturday morning. He was not supposed to be in our room!
This place also turned into "party central" on the weekend. Very noisy, no policy on quiet hours, made it difficult to sleep.
There were also billing issues. One person from the group paid on his own and they had also initially charged the group leader for his room too. It got sorted out in the end, but just another thing to deal with.

• Liked — kitchen facilities
  • Disliked — Noise, poor functionality of booking and keycard systems
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)