“Stay here !!”

Hostel Bear
Paris, France
“Stay here !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

The Hostel Bear is by far the best hostel we ever stayed at (and we are globe trotters ;-) Great location, fantastic staff, super clean common spaces and confy rooms makes it my favorite of all. They thought of everything : curtains for more privacy in dorms, lockers in the rooms, organized food storage, laundry room, spacious kitchen with a lot of clean equipment, bar, ..... Stop looking, you simply must stay there !!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Fontenay-sous-bois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Clean and well located, 5 min walk from downtown Canmore, a few rooms with 6 beds each and a bathroom per room, good privacy too with curtains around the beds. Spacious common kitchen and living room with good equipment.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I came to Canmore for work and expected to stay at the hostel for a little while while I found a place to live but almost 3 months in and I still haven't left. Some might find that strange, though there are people here that have been staying longer than I.

Truth is it is just a fantastic place, the staff are very friendly and there is always interesting characters to talk to from all over the globe. The rooms are quite nice, the one i'm in now is complete with a fireplace and a balcony looking out on a gorgeous view of Mt. Lady MacDonald. It has decent laundry facilities a great common room including a bar and spacious fully equipped kitchen area which is always clean.

The location is great too, only a short walk to downtown, though being on the train line can be a little noisy at times. It usually doesn't bother the rooms at the front of the building as much. The hostel is making a big effort of late to be more socially active, organising events involving things inside and outside the hostel.

I dont have anything negative to say about this place. On the whole Canmore is a beautiful place offering so much to do and I would definitely stay at THB again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Methven, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

I stayed at the Hostel Bear for a few nights while I found myself a room to rent in Canmore. I found the place to be a very well organised, clean and friendly place to stay. Great to see lockers in the rooms so you can lock you stuff up if you are out for the day (you'll need your lock). Storing your food was no problem with the well equipped kitchen (fridges and food storage lockers). Daily, weekly, and monthly rates available. Nice and close to supermarkets and downtown. There is a nice lounge area with comfy sofas to relax. One night I was there, a folk band came and played guests a private concert.

Downside with my room was the vent - it carries the sound up from the dining area and there is a TV screen right next to the vent. While it was great for the ambience in the room, the gas fireplace makes the room way too hot if someone leaves it on. You're also next to the train tracks so expect to hear trains in the night. But hey, it's a hostel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

I came down to Canmore from Edmonton to go to the folk festival and stay at The Hostel Bear for only one night and truly wish it was longer. I was a solo traveler that happened to have a little bit to much fun at the Folk festival that was going on and when I finally arrived back to the hostel from stumbling around the town I met the manager. Great guy showed me to my room and made sure I was taken care of. I will be recommending this Hostel over and hotel in the area for the rest of my life.

The outstanding service I received is unable to be matched by any high-end hotel. I will agree with other reviews that the train is a bit noisy at night but so is every other hotel on "the strip". I do not believe that there is another hotel on the strip though that will give you free earplugs if you ask for them.

I don't think I could possibly express my love for this place and all it's staff it is the cleanest place I have been to in a long time including hotels and I have never had anyone willing to help me out so much from telling me how to get places to helping me get back to my room when I was intoxicated.

I may never drink again but there is one thing for certain... I WILL be staying at this hostel again in the future and suggest everyone traveling to Canmore to stop in, spend a night, and enjoy the amazing conversation with the front desk staff they are there 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Absolutely AMAZING!!!

Thank you hostel bear.

Room Tip: Dorm to meet people, heard privates are nice also.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Port Alberni, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

What a great place. It was our first hostel experience and our family thoroughly enjoyed it. The guests during our stay were an international mix of 30+ers. The food being prepared in the communal kitchen smelled amazing and the conversation was lively. When I booked the room, I failed to check the map... The railway runs right behind the building. The first train was a bit of a startler, after that it was ok. The beds were very comfy and the staff helpful & pleasant.

• Stayed July 2011
bay area, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

Banff and Canmore and expensive places and this is a place to park yourself if you are looking for cheaper options.

We opted for a private room and they have two sets of bunk beds: so four people can stay there. Lockers are provided for each of the beds and the rooms and the bathrooms were very clean. The best thing is the fact that they are open 24 hours, so no early checkins, get in and get out as you please.

Canmore also is located at a very convenient distance from Banff and there are tons of things to do around.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple