“Poor experience”
Review of Hostel Bear

Hostel Bear
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We booked this hostel on hostel bookers and paid the $20 deposit but when we arrived they claimed they did not have the booking. Our name was on the computer but reception person claimed this was someone else.

We had to pay full price and not price agreed at booking.

Room was overheated and we could not cool it. Worst nights sleep I have had in any hostel around the world.

First hostel I have stayed in where breakfast not available.

Impression was a hostel poor on service and comfort.

First hostel I have stayed in where

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Ray A
There are newer reviews for Hostel Bear

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I don't like liars. Website advertised a free breakfast (toast/waffles) and 24 hour coffee available. There was neither of these things. Girl at reception rudely said they hadn't done the breakfast in months and seemed annoyed that I had even asked.

This hostel is average in a lot of ways (hot sweaty rooms at night, loud noises from the train at all hours, a bar that never opened over an entire weekend) I don't understand how hard is it to update your website to give accurate information? Will not return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kellie H
Reviewed 9 January 2014

They gave away our booking even though we arrived at 5pm. They had another room but in a 10 bed dorm. Dirty and very hot (30 deg) there is a rain line outside with train passing all night. When mentioned to the staff the next day they could not care less about any of our issues. Not a place I will recommend or stay at again.

Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank 80jimbob
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Flat out one of the worst hostels I have ever stayed in. First of all argued with me about my reservation and wanted to charge more than booking price, The location backs onto a freight rail line along which long trains thunder and rattle all throughout the night, general room cleanliness is appalling and the horrific lack of appropriate climate control in the rooms (WAY too hot, in the order of 30+ degrees celsius) made it impossible to sleep. Requests to reduce the temperature were met with rude denials by staff. If you're considering staying here, just.....don't. You will regret it sorely.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Lachlan A
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Hostel Bear with my boyfriend and I was completely unimpressed. The private room we booked filthy--garbage wrappers on the floor in plain site and dirt and dust everywhere else. I also found the morning manager to be incredibly rude and I got a bad impression when the evening staff complained about the pour management of the facility to me. The room was also incredibly loud, however most of that noise was due to a passing train that rumbles by once an hour.

The rooms here are cheap and it shows. If you are ok with dirty, loud, and rude management the Hostel Bear would be ok to book. To give the hostel credit, there is a nice kitchen and the rooms are big and comfortable.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chelsea W
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Wonderful Hostel Experience. Had a private room. Large, coolest and biggest bunk beds ever. Clean, friendly staff. Fun and interesting people staying there. First time at a hostel. Large kitchen, easy to follow system. Rules clearly posted.

Room Tip: Pick a single private room if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JCtree
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed there for one night with my boyfriend and it was pretty good, the staff was nice and helpful and the location is good. And our room was good too, comfy beds and clean. The only thing that I didn't like was that there was no breakfast, never had that in a hostel before, but apart from that everything was great!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple