Hostel Bear
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I've been to Hostel's all over the world and by far the Hostel Bear in Canmore Alberta is the best! The staff and the guests are all amazing..very clean and tidy plus the location is perfect! I love this place and will return again and again

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Yesterday was my food is gone in the fridge.
My food is was abandoned into the trash.
(Milk, orange juice, eggs, cheese, Cola)
because don't written the check-out date.
so I again buy shopping and wrote check-out date.
but in the morning my new products was abandoned.
(breads. mayonnaise. Ketchup. olive oil. Peanut butter, corn flakes)
staff said looking for your food in the free share corner,
but just i find peanut Butter, It was used.
but i don't find ketchup and olive oil. it is new product!!!!
It keep staff? or garbage?
I can not understand.
Do you understand?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank 경화 성
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed here for one night on my way through from BC to Alberta and found it pleasant. Nice log decor, black leather couches in common room, key card access to rooms, full ensuite bathrooms with a shower/tub in each room, and decently sized kitchen and eating area with lots of fridge space, and helpful staff. Oh, and the internet was fast! The $35/night is a bit expensive for a six bed dorm, but it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than anything else you'd find in Canmore. There are curtains on the lower bunks for privacy, but no ladders to get up to the top bunk, so be prepared to climb! A convenience store and fast food is nearby, a grocery store within about a 15 minute walk, as well as other amenities. As others have mentioned, the train tracks are right behind the building, but the trains go slowly and don't blow their horn, so it's just the rumble you have to put up with, which didn't bother me too much. Glad to have a budget option in Canmore, and would stay again! :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Decent value for the cost.. Staff are helpful, lots of potential for better service with more help.. A great location to explore the national and provincial parks in the area. The county parks have the best amenities and access to wildlife.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Hostel Bear has hosted some of the best memories I have of all my climbing trips to the mountains. I will always gladly return here. There is so much climbing and disc golf in the area and this spot makes for a very affordable and entertaining place to stay. Meet new people every time.

Room Tip: Get a room on the opposite side of the train tracks
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Booked a private room for one night. Good location, nice vibe to the hostel. Reasonably clean, awesome firm beds - some reviews mention the train tracks directly behind the hostel but I didn't find this a problem at all, my sleep was not interrupted.

Only complaint would be that after we finished breakfast about 10 minutes before check-out, we returned to our room to find the door propped wide open with all of our luggage (valuables/wallets/computers - everything) in there. I voiced my concern upon check-out & a staff member did apologise, but at the same time excused it due to people frequently leaving the hostel and 'leaving stuff in the rooms'...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I happened to stumble upon this beautiful hostel on September 1 , 2013. I had several hospital appointments scheduled so this location was perfect. I was greeted as soon as I walked through the front door by a young lady with a wonderful smile who introduced herself as ( Regina ). I told her that I was in need of a room for an extended period of time and she immediately met my needs. She was so helpful and explained everything to me about living the hostel life. I had an EXCELLENT stay and enjoyed it so much I have just come back. The building itself is beautiful with a wonderful stone fireplace up stairs next to the pool table and wood throughout. The odd train rolls bye at different times at night and rocks me to sleep. The rooms are clean and the other staff are friendly too. I have met a new friend called The Hostel Bear and will return every time I come to Canmore.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the dorm style rooms as it gave me a chance to meet people from around the world.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo