“Wonderful place to stay and eat”

and 1 more site!
A Bear and Bison Canadian Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 31 Canmore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed at the inn as part of a group that rented the entire inn for a wedding. It was excellent and the food was fabulous. We had 2 breakfasts, a picnic lunch and the wedding meal there and we loved it all. The inn is charming and a great place for a smaller wedding. The staff were great, very friendly and helpful. The room had a king size bed which was very comfortable, The only slightly negative thing was our room had a jacuzzi tub in it (not in the washroom, in the actual room) which our family of four (2 teenage boys) found a little amusing. I think the room was meant for a couple not a family but it did not affect our enjoyment of the inn in the slightest.

Room Tip: There are rooms geared towards families with pull out couches and trundle beds
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I were married at The Bear & Bison Inn a year ago and I still can remember how amazing they made our day like it was yesterday! We rented the whole Inn for our family and we had so many of our family and friends comment on the delicious food, amazing service and the intimate atmosphere. From the moment we arrived the staff was so helpful and professional.

The morning of the wedding I (the bride) had breakfast brought to my room while the other guests ate in the dinning room. It was a tray of warmed peaches and cream, an omelette and homemade oatmeal. It sounds like a lot but it was the perfect proportion to keep you fueled until lunch. The basket lunches were amazing and the cookies were to die for, I still think about those cookies!

We had approximately 45 guests and it was the perfect size and setting for our wedding. A lot of our guests stayed at the Inn next door which was very convenient for everybody. Having the whole Inn to ourselves means you get the hot tub to yourself and the bar to yourself which makes for very happy guests and low stress for the bride and groom.

After the ceremony, the staff set up the bar outside while we (the wedding party) left for photos. While we were gone a storm quickly moved in and I heard that the staff very quickly moved everything indoors and kept the party going. When we got back you would have never known that a storm came through!

We choose the Tapa style dinner and it was the best food and all our guests were well fed and enjoyed the variety. Then the final meal came on Sunday morning and again, it was amazing.

I would highly recommend A Bear & Bison Inn to anyone who wants a venue where you can hang out with your friends and family all weekend long! Everything was amazing!!!

Oh....the beds are incredibly comfortable too!!!

Room Tip: We had the bridal suite and there is a stand up shower, a jetted tub and a big, cozy king sized bed!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KerriJackson
MountainlifeCanmore, Manager at A Bear and Bison Canadian Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2014

Great news about everyone enjoying your wedding soo much!
Thank you for choosing us!
We know there are many options for a Rocky Mountain Wedding, Thank you for trusting us with your special day, we are glad it went so smoothly!
We are grateful for the positive feedback, and will use it going forward!
Best regards Charlotte and team!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was my first stay at A Bear and Bison. I was a last minute booking, coming to pick up my son from hockey camp in Canmore, I thought I would come solo and treat myself to a night alone.(first time ALONE in a hotel or B&B ever!) A Bear and a Bison was the perfect place for me to do that :-) It was very easy to find and a short distance from town, which was perfect for me as I would be back and forth to the arena and was looking forward to a dinner, lunch and shopping in town while I was there. As with others, I was a bit surprised to find it wasn't 'rural' as it appears from the website photos and does have a road running in front, as well as Cougar Creek (under flood remediation for future protection of the town and houses)...another B&B sits on one side and what looks to be a lovely pub on the other, I look forward to checking it out on my next visit. I didn't find I was bothered by any road noise at all and it was so nice to look out at the beautiful mountains and have a beer on the balcony when I arrived.

Upon arrival I found a parking spot steps from the entrance and upon entering, was greeted in a friendly, welcoming manner by Lonny and his lovely staff lady (so sorry, I'm terrible with names!). They gave me my room key (Room 4 on the main level, closest to the entrance...no noise issues at all) and a key to the front door for when I returned from town and an explanation on how to open and then lock the front door. I was about to trundle off to my room but Lonny engaged me in conversation and asked if I had any dietary needs. Oops! I had forgottten to mention at booking that I was lactose intolerant and gluten sensitive. Lonny and staff are very concerned with making sure that every guest has a great stay and gets to eat things they enjoy, so it's important to let them know if you have any dietary concerns....and if, in the morning while you are being served your FANTASTIC three course breakfast, that you have any issues at all with any of the dishes, please let them know right away, so they can rectify that for you....if they don't know, there's nothing they can do. As it was, I devoured every bite. Lonny told me on arrival his plan for breakfast....quinoa with craisins and pumpkin seeds (was so good!), fresh sliced peaches with a white chocolate cream (drool) and huevos rancheros to finish, which was just delicious and I was taking mental notes to copy it and make it at home!! (foodie that I am) In fact, as I was sitting here thinking of ways that a stay could be even more fun, I was thinking that I could beg Lonny for a cooking lesson, ha! I can never get my quinoa as good as Lonny's was, it was simply perfect. I washed it all down with a nice cup of tea, glass of OJ and water.

Lonny also made a suggestion of a new gluten free asian fusion restaurant for me to try in the Silvercreek Lodge (Wild Orchid) and quickly whipped out a map and drew the directions for me to follow from the arena, very helpful. Dinner was delicious (the Pavlova for dessert is not to be missed, I could barely stop myself from licking the plate!!) , as was lunch at The Wood restaurant on the patio after a morning of shopping. I love downtown Canmore, less busy than Banff, easy to find free parking and lots of great restaurants, coffee bars and cute stores to explore.

Entering my room, I was very happy to find it clean and cozy, with a large four poster king size bed, down pillows, crisp linens, duvet under the bed cover. I loved the decor, the big jetted tub with lovely soaps and lotions (and a European shower, very handy to shower quickly in the morning), fireplace, flat screen tv, spacious bathroom, and I loved the antique dresser and desk. Was so nice to have a balcony with a view, something you certainly won't find at most chain hotels. That night I enjoyed a wonderful bubble bath, with the fireplace on and watching Extreme Makeover on the tv :-) However, being August, I think I heated up the room a bit too much, so I put the AC on. This is pretty much my only complaint....I had forgotten to bring my earplugs and I did find the AC to be quite noisy, so I didn't have the most restful sleep. I did eventually go into the bathroom where I found a cotton ball and stuffed that into my ear, but I think if I forwent the fireplace and brought my usual earplugs (I use them in all hotels, usually due to my snoring kids!), I'm sure I would have had a fabulous sleep.

The staff came and gave a knock on my door, as requested, at 8 am and I was at breakfast by 9. I had the option also of having it brought to my room, which is a nice option, particularly when you are travelling solo. After that treat, I went back to my room, finished packing and watched tv till 10:30, then checked out. I believe check out time is 11 am, which I really appreciate, not being a 'morning person'! I met Lonny coming across the parking lot and we had a nice chat and as we chatted, other guests were leaving and took the time to open their car window and tell Lonny that they had a lovely stay. I am literally trying now to think of when I can come out to Canmore in the fall, and then the winter, spring and next summer! Living so close by in Calgary, there's really no excuse not to come and enjoy the mountains more often.

Thanks Lonny and staff, for the hospitality! Looking forward to meeting Fiona on my next stay. (while I have spent most of my life in Canada, I am actually British born)

Room Tip: Top level rooms have the best views and balconies; main floor rooms also have cute balconies and a g...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Very clean, although my studio room are small, but very cozy. The floral breeding set, the sofa, jacuzzi, the shampoo, lotions, welcome nuts snack...the details shows a lot of considerations.

The air condition is a little noise, but I prefer not using it even at August, summer morning in Canmore is chill.

The crew of this country style inn are very helpful and nice. The three-course breakfast in a relaxing background music is a plus. The dishes are not traditional American style, it's more healthier with nuts, fruits and eggs, etc..

I love it and will come back next trip to this area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I recently attended a staff retreat located at the Bear and Bison Inn and had a fantastic time. The Inn itself is situated in a great location and we overlooked the mountains from the balcony over the course of our retreat. The view of the mountains provided great inspiration. The rooms were quaint, yet spacious, the food was amazing, and the hospitality from Marc and his staff was first class. The back terrace was perfect for dinner and networking. Highly recommend for corporate events and weekend getaways.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We just got home from our friends wedding @ The Bear and Bison ( beautiful pictures to prove it ) We can not wait to go back . This place is perfect and the staff are ALL amazing . By far the best cooking we have had while dining out . This is a great place for children, hosting parties or weddings or a private get away . Thanks to Lonnie and Marc , you service was great.

Room Tip: There are plenty of rooms away from the main area , all of our friends enjoyed their rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank JamesandCourtne... M
MountainlifeCanmore, Manager at A Bear and Bison Canadian Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2015

glad you enjoyed your friends Canmore wedding, we are glad they choose us as well!
Wedding are a lot of fun and we really enjoy hosting them!
Have a great year Charlotte

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This has been our second stay at a Bear and Bison, and it is for sure a favorite place to stay. All the rooms have such beautiful views of the Three Sisters and you can see Grotto mountain as well. We have stayed in 2 different rooms and they were both beautifully appointed, very clean, and very comfortable. All of the rooms have wonderful balconies where you can enjoy your morning coffee. I think what I look forward to most, are the breakfasts. SO. GOOD. The only downside I find is that Benchlands Trail, the road the runs right in front of the Inn, is a little noisy. But it quiets down a lot at night, so really it is a pretty minor glitch. Everything else is perfect, and I love being able to hear Cougar Creek from the room. Just a short jaunt from a number of trail heads, too!

Room Tip: The top floor has the least noise and the best views(though they are more pricey)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple