“In great need of maintenance and cleaning” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lodges at Canmore

The Lodges at Canmore
Calgary, Canada
“In great need of maintenance and cleaning”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have stayed at the Lodges at Canmore twice. The first time was just OK as the two bedroom unit we had seemed a bit run down. We gave it another shot this summer and will NEVER stay there again.

We booked a two bedroom loft this time. The first thing we noticed was the general lack of maintenance in the halway of the third floor (we were in room 326) - it appeared as if luggage carts had been scraped into the walls and not repaired. We checked out our room and the carpet had numerous stains on it. That was not the worst part though - I thought it smelled like cats (my whole family has cat allergies) and my fear was confirmed when I saw the cat scratching post. We all became allergic and checked out early (we just stayed one night - we did ask to move, but they were fully booked) because of it. Why they would not warn guests of this is beyond me - it's not such a rare allergy that it needn't be mentioned.

To give an idea of how dirty the unit seemed, please see the attached picture of the fan blades - disgusting. Cat hair and dust all stuck to the edges - seriously gross. The wall beside the main floor bathroom had gouges in it that were partially repaired. The deck chairs in the tiny balcony have degraded to the point that the green plastic came off as a chalky substance when you sat on them - we had to put towels down first. No apparent pride of ownership.

I can't believe they can charge over $250 per night there.

When we left early, they were good enough not to assess a penalty and gave us a 15% discount because of the cat thing, but really I'm not happy that I paid anything for that stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rob C
Tanya W, Manager at The Lodges at Canmore, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for your review Rob C, I am sad to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at The Lodges at Cannmore, and would like to apologize that you were in a pet friendly suite especially with all of your party having allergies to cats.
Regarding the maintenance of the unit, your comments have been passed onto our engineering department as we are currently going to be doing our annual deep cleans of the suites.

If you would like to speak to me personally concerning your past stay at The Lodges at Canmore I would be more than happy to talk to you.

Guest Services Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Surrey, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on an RCI Timeshare exchange for 12 nights. We were allocated a good sized 2 bedded unit but it was very dark inside and we needed the lights on at all times of the day.

Having stayed in over 50 different resorts worldwide we were disappointed at the level of cleanliness and responses to our complaints. The windows were dirty inside and out but they then only cleaned the living room ones not bedrooms. The barbecue grill was filthy on arrival but that was sorted. The bedroom carpet only gets a perfunctory clean , there were bits of paper around the edges and quite a bit of general dust.

We were 2 glasses short but that report was not passed on till a week later. The mid stay clean only happened after it was requested twice. Initially we had to ask for extra toilet paper, there were no kitchen supplies till we reported it and they were never able to 'source' a single tea towel.

While the hot tub in our building was good, the jets do not work in the one next to the pool.

However the beds are comfy and there is ample hot water. The resort is handily placed to be able to walk along the pretty creek into town.

We will probably accept an exchange here next time we visit our family in Calgary but I wish we had the option to choose the unit.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review Cinn52, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at The Lodges at Canmore in our Elkhorn RCI units. With regards to the lack of response from both front desk and housekeeping, I do apologize on behalf of all our staff as this is not our standard procedure.
I am happy to notify you that our main hot tub is now operating to its full capacity with jets working,
On your next visit to family in Calgary, we would like to welcome you back to Elkhorn at The Lodges.
New Haven
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Our family of 4 stayed here for 7 days in August 2013. 2 bedroom 2 bathroom 900 sq foot unit which we rented privately through another online company and the owner. On 2nd floor of 4. Excellent communication and the check in and check out process were a breeze. We actually stayed in the Grizzly Bear portion of the place.
Very comfy beds and pillows and couches. Nice modern TVs in each bedroom as well as the living room. Great kitchen which we used quite a bit. No A/C but on hot days we used the stand up fans provided and by night time all cooled down due to the native weather in the mountains. We used the pool and hot tub on our floor. Sound proofing was great between units. We did hear screaming kids from the pool area during the rare hot days, so we closed windows or doors and all was well. Quiets down at night. Wifi was spotty. Front desk was great to so-so, depending on who was on duty.(level of experience.) We basically used the unit as a base to do day trip. Slept very well.. The place does have a lot of units and people so if you're looking for solitude or "atmosphere" this isn't for you. Friday and Saturday nights got a bit noisy due to many people BBQ and imbibing, on their small balconies. It is a 5 minute drive from the stores and restaurants. Compared to Banff, this place is very reasonably priced and therefore a very very good value.

Room Tip: See if you can get a unit not facing the pool or the road.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the great review chaimlit! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Lodges at Canmore. While you did stay in a privately owned unit, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the amenities provided at our property and the friendliness of our front desk staff. I would like to welcome to a Bellstar property in the future!

Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Property is newer, looks great from the exterior and well laid out with lots of potential. We stayed in a 2 Bdrm suite that was not looked after very well. The carpets were badly stained and worn, the pull out couch was missing fabric on the buttons, the duvet covers were lumpy with all the filling in various clumps and no filling in spots. When we checked in 2 of 3 light bulbs were burnt out in the kitchen making it very dark, and 1 of 3 burnt out in the ensuite. We let reception know and requested maintenance but nobody showed up until the next day. The public corridors were dirty and dirty linens were left piled next to the elevator overnight both evenings we stayed. We were there for a wedding and other friends staying nearby at the Blackstone and at Stoneridge were in much better properties.

Room Tip: We stayed ion the Couger Lodge. If staying in this lodge ask for a room facing the interior of the b...
1 Thank 295Kri
Tanya W, Manager at The Lodges at Canmore, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Thank you for your review 295Kri, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at The Lodges at Canmore. We do strive to keep all of our units at The Lodges at Canmore up to date and modern and I will be passing on these words to our Executive Housekeeper concerning the condition of the suite as well the common areas.

While I am glad to see that the lights in your suite were changed, I am sorry to hear that it took so long to have them changed or even that they were burnt out upon arrival as this is not our standard procedure at The Lodges at Canmore.

I would like to welcome you back to The Lodges at Canmore in the future, might I suggest booking a premium suite? With booking a premium suite this guarantee’s that you will be stayng in our Grizzly Lodge which is the newest building at The Lodges at Canmore.

Thank you.

Guest Services Supervisor

Travellers are raving about these Canmore hotels

Red Deer, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We have stayed many different times at the Lodges and loved it before. Not so much this time around. We received a very small and dated 2bdr suite - both beds extremely squeaky as well as the inside doors. I understand that the furniture is owner dependent, but at some point it needs to be changed.
The worst part of it: the cleanliness has really gone downhill - the floor was quite dirty and sticky in the family room, we could find all sort of crumbs from previous visitors, and the hallways on the staircase were dirty as well. There have been all sorts of stuff spilled and now dried out on them. Some of the tiles are starting to brake down.
The staff is all new, slow and seem unaware of many things about the place.
They have 3 hot pools, but 1 was out of order, one had barely warm water in it and you could not start the jets and the 3rd one had hot water, but only about 2ft of it on the bottom of the pool.
We stayed on phase II before. Now the suite was on phase I - I will not stay on phase I again (aka wolfe lodge). I may try phase II one more time... maybe each building has different cleaning staff...

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Tanya W, Manager at The Lodges at Canmore, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your past stay with us at The Lodges at Canmore. While all of our suites are each owned individually we do strive to have all suites up to date for the enjoyment of all our guests. I would like to apologize on behalf of the housekeeping staff as the suite was not cleaned to our usual standards at The Lodges at Canmore, and will be passing on your words to our Executive Housekeeper regarding the cleanliness of both your suite and common areas.

While our front desk staff is quite new we at front desk are striving to provide Exceptional Resort Experiences and I will be speaking to them about our property and all the amenities provided on site.

I am happy to announce that all three of our hot tubs are all operational again. I would like to welcome you back to The Lodges at Canmore in the future, might I suggest booking in our premium suites where it will guarantee you will be staying in our Grizzly Lodge which is the newest building that The Lodges at Canmore provides.

Lodges at Canmore
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

We have stayed here too many times to count. Always stay here in summer. The Lodges are nestled in the Rockies. The views are amazing. The fresh air is breath taking. The pool is great for kids. The fitness centre has very good equipment. I think there are 3 hot pools but we mainly use the pool side one. The premises are very clean. The whole area is very safe and great for families. Rooms are condo like so you just wish you could quit your job and never leave. It's within walking distance of the downtown area and also close to a lot of nice walking trails along the creeks and rivers. It's such a fun, family friendly, relaxing place so that's we have come about a dozen times.

1 Thank Yeesh8
Welcome back to The Lodges at Canmore Yeesh8! I am always happy to welcome back repeat guests who enjoy coming to stay year after year, and enjoy the peace and serenity offered in Canmore. From the crisp mountain air, to the breath taking mountains surrounding the whole town there is a true feeling of being at “home” in our town.

Our resort provides one outdoor pool and three outdoor hot tubs on site, as well a fitness centre located in our Cougar Lodge. I am glad to hear that you enjoy the cleanliness of our property, and will pass on your kind words to our caretakers who take great care to make sure all our guests enjoy their stay both inside and outside of the resort.

While we are not located in the heart of town we are a quick walk to the main part of town, having both the convenience of being close to town and the enjoyment of quiet of our location. I look forward to welcoming you again next year!
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

We had to make last minute changes on a Saturday night while travelling in the Banff area in July, it was very difficult to find a place. Someone referred us to the Lodges at Canmore which resulted to a nice surprise. We were traveling with 3 teenagers and stayiung is two rooms in hotels. We arrived late at night and got a two bedroom apartment, it was well equipped. there was no AC and we needed an extra fan (which we could get). The Lodge is comfortable, clean, well equipped and well priced. We spent only one night but it is a good choice if ypou are travelling with a family in the Banff Canmore area.

Room Tip: Ask for extra fans for summer days
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the great review Simon317! I am glad to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay especially considering it was such short notice! Our two bedroom suites; are a great place to stay for families. From our outdoor pool and three outdoor hot tubs, to the spaciousness of our two bedroom suites which are provided with two separate bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a kitchen with all the amenities provided from home, and a living room with a queen size pullout couch the Lodges at Canmore strives to make guests feel like they are in their true home away from home. While not all of our suites are provided with air conditioning, should a guest request to have a fan brought up to their suite our friendly front desk staff is happy to accommodate guests and have them as comfortable as possible during their stay! I would like to welcome you back to The Lodges at Canmore in the future, and as a repeat guest you will receive a 15% discount.