“Pretty good”

The Lodges at Canmore
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We rented a condo in the Grizzly Lodge from an owner. Our condo was modern and clean with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a pull out couch. We really enjoyed the extra space & the kitchen and barbecue where we cooked most of our meals. It was much better than staying in a hotel for a week. We liked having a dishwasher and washer/dryer insuite. The pool was great for the kids although the deep end ladder was broken and unusable. The hot tubs tiles were all chipped and needed maintenance, but still functional. We enjoyed the mountain views from the pool as well as our large, private balcony. Underground parking was nice. Cons: There was no housekeeping or cleaning supplies for our 7 day stay. They used flat sheets instead of fitted sheets on the king bed so we were waking up to parts of our body on bare mattresses. Internet was spotty. It took 3 calls and 24 hours before we finally received our extra bedding that we requested. Of our 3 TVs, only 1 worked properly. The entire complex could use a bit of TLC as most carpets were stained and walls were dirty (our condo was clean though). Overall, we enjoyed our stay and weren't too bothered by the small issues.

Room Tip: Grizzly is the newest lodge.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WinnipegFamily
Darryll H, General Manager at The Lodges at Canmore, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest: Thank you for taking the time to post a 4/5 review regarding your recent stay with us! I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay in our fabulous suites with everything they have to offer. I do apologize about housekeeping issues you experienced.

I look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to the Canmore area.

There are newer reviews for The Lodges at Canmore

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

When arriving for check-in, my reservation was no where to be found! The front desk clerk really seemed as though they couldn't be bothered to try and help me either. It was on a Saturday night of the long weekend so everything was totally booked too. I had a confirmation email that was sent to me, but still was hitting a brick wall at this place. Even people in the lobby area were telling me to "not stay here", as all units are privately owned, and not maintained to any minimum standards. There was a very nice 'sister-hotel' right next door which we went and talked to the manager there, and he was more than helpful. But my advice.....as a very seasoned traveler. .....avoid this property until they can get their stuff together and figure out what property management is all about!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank gator71

Dear Valued Guest: Thank you for sharing your experience. Please accept our deepest apologies for all the trouble and inconveniences caused. No excuses can be offered except we have failed in our service. I would like an opportunity to invite you back. Please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make sure you get the stay you deserve.

We look forward to redeeming ourselves and regaining your trust in our services.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We arrived to the hotel around 5 pm. At 6 o'clock I went downstairs to tell the front desk that the light and fan in the master bedroom did not work! They said they would have if fixed ASAP. This was just the beginning of the terrible room conditions.. The master bathroom the glass on the shower was off the tracks the toilet and sink would not drain or flush without being plunged.. The second bathroom was discussing with someone else's pee around the toilet the tub was dirty.. The dishes were left in the dishwasher and everything needed to be clean.. We were exhausted from our long trip to Canmore so the next morning I explained that the light and fan was still not fixed and how dirty the place was.. They said they had no other rooms that could accommodate us.. But if I wanted to upgrade they could move us for another 150.00 per night. I was outraged told them they would have to do better, I asked them to come to the room and let me know what they came up with because I have a 10 month old baby who I need to put to sleep and I had been at the front desk for over an hour!! They sent up the maintenance guy at 7:30 that night to fix the light, which didn't end up getting fixed and he didn't leave till 9:45. It was extremely hot as there is zero air conditioning.. They basically treated us like we were no big deal and they didn't care we will never go back!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Jodilaurel
Darryll H, General Manager at The Lodges at Canmore, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Jodilaurel: Thank you for sharing your experience. Please accept our deepest apologies for all the trouble and inconveniences caused. No excuses can be offered except we have failed in our service. I would like an opportunity to invite you back. Please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make sure you get the stay you deserve.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at the Lodges for a wedding in Canmore and found it quite adequate for our needs. The condo was clean, spacious, the beds comfortable and the furniture in relatively good shape. We didn't spend much time in the condo and ate out every day so were not too bothered by some of the issues raised by the other reviewers, with the exception of the lack of air conditioning. Sleeping in the loft was almost impossible. Also, even for us the kitchen was seriously under stocked and the lack of cleaning supplies annoying especially since housekeeping only shows up every four days. The property is a bit far from the town center so you need to drive to most restaurants and other conveniences. I'm not sure what other properties are charging in the area but $210/night strikes me as a bit steep given the lack of amenities.

Room Tip: It's a condo complex so there will be considerable variation in the quality of the rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Darryll H, General Manager at The Lodges at Canmore, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Adriaanse: Thank you for sharing your review with us. Great to hear that you enjoyed the spacious condominium sized suites.

I appreciate you advising us of the concerns relating to the condition to the AC and the amenities. We will investigate the issues you encountered and resolve the issues for future guests.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

while the locale of Canmore makes up for a lot of negative things, our stay at The Lodges at Canmore just had too many things wrong with it. we stayed in unit 207 in the Cougar building. it was a West-facing 2-bedroom, 2 bathroom condo with kitchen, dining area and living room, plus balcony and BBQ. there was a window A/C unit in the living room area, but it didn't work very well. i'm guessing that was the reason for the additional fans for the 2 bedrooms; one of which was a stand-up and worked pretty well, while the other was some strange little unit that made a lot of noise but not much wind. and we were there during a mini-heat wave so you can guess it was pretty uncomfortable during the evenings.

the unit itself needs a good, old-fashioned cleaning. the carpets were worn and strained grey with ground-in dirt, especially at the threshold of the kitchen. there were gouges and scratches in parts of the walls, which were also streaked grey with dirt in some spots.

the cooking utensils were sticky to the touch and we were missing kitchen linens. the glasses also had residue from the dishwasher inside of them. we ended up hand washing our dishes during our stay to avoid using the dishwasher. the cutting boards, both plastic, were stained grey too. i didn't feel comfortable cutting on them.

while it was handy to have 2 bathrooms, the tubs were both slow drainers. we had standing water whenever we showered. plus, both shower curtains were stained pink-orange at the bottom (for about 6 inches up) by water mould.

we were also informed by the front desk staff that due to a shortage of housekeeping staff, we were unlikely to get our housecleaning visit, normally scheduled for the 4th day of our stay. and she was right: our unit didn't get any cleaning for the week we were there. we didn't mind that so much. they brought us clean towels on the 5th day, although they didn't take any of our used pool/bath towels so there was a mighty pile when we checked out.

when i called to ask for missing linens or to ask for someone to check out the slow-draining bathtubs or to mention the dishwasher residue, the front desk staff member uttered not one word of apology, nor did she acknowledge in any way that these things had a negative impact on our vacation. i'm not expecting her to offer a shoulder to cry on, but i am expecting a minimum level of customer service—and she didn't meet it.

here's something that i witnessed: a family checked out early, citing their discomfort with the heat in their room to the same front desk staff member i dealt with. they were polite but looked harried and a bit disappointed. the staff member checked her computer, told the husband/father that they'd have to deal with the original booking site for their refund, etc. and that was it. she didn't apologize nor express any interest nor concern. again, i wasn't expecting her to fall all over herself to keep those guests happy, but come on, she didn't even express any common decency toward them. i don't think that's ok.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank sg_angel888
Darryll H, General Manager at The Lodges at Canmore, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest: Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate all feedback both positive and constructive. This helps in our continuation of training for service excellence. I do apologize for the experience you had while staying with us. I have shared your comments with our Team and the Department Managers in order to correct and improve in all these areas. We do ask that if issues arise during your stay that you bring them to our attention immediately in order to have the chance to rectify the situation and have our guests enjoy the rest of their stay.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I will start out with the good since it's the shorter list.
-The room was a nice size and clean.
-The hot tub and work out room were nice.
Now the bad.
-There is no central air in the rooms. When we called the desk to complain that the AC wasn't working. She told us that rooms only have window ACs. She then told me that there is only a few warm days in Canmore so most owners don't put them in. I live in Canada there is more then a few hot days! We asked if we could switch rooms. She then stated that only 5 of the rooms have an air conditioner in it.
There is central air in the hallways?!? So in the end we left our room door open with a fan blowing the cold air in from the hall. While we stayed there we noticed that many other guest were doing the same thing. Also the ceiling fan above the bed looked like it was going to shake off while it was on high

-rooms hallways and lobbies could use some updating.

The key card system is in need of repair in the garage. You may have to swipe your card many times to get in.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest: Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our apologies for all the trouble and inconveniences caused. I would like an opportunity to invite you back. Please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make sure you get the stay you deserve.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We recently spent 5 nights here (July 10 - 15). Let's just say the suite was in great need of a deep cleaning!!

We were provided with a "starter" kit of cleaning products. It contained 2 laundry soap, a sponge & 2 dishwasher tablets & a tiny bottle of dishwashing soap (hotel shampoo sized). I don't mind providing my own laundry soap, but 2 dishwasher tablets for a 5 day stay? You want clean dishes when we leave?!

The information package that we received upon check in stated the towels & linens would be changed on day 4. Garbages, etc would be emptied at that time. We had NO service during our 5 night stay.

Upon check out, the clerk tried to charge us $11 but was unable to tell us what it was for. He also would not take our card keys, but made us walk 2 steps to deposit them is a basket. Not an issue for sure, but his attitude was definitely an issue.

This was our third time staying here. Each time the cleanliness of the units deteriorates. They are now to a point that we will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank n0namewanted

Dear Guest: Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at The Lodges at Canmore. I am truly disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay.