“Our Family Loved our Mountain Ski Getaway!”

Fire Mountain Lodge
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Canmore
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed here with my family for 2 nights in March.

We booked a 2 bedroom walk up room. These rooms are on the ground level so no stairs to haul luggage in from the car. You walk in the front door into the main level of the unit, here is your kitchen, living area, utility/laundry and a powder room. Downstairs there are 2 bedrooms, 1 King, 1 queen both with full ensuite bathrooms.

For the price paid we were really quite thrilled with the room. For not much more than an average hotel room you get a 2 story condo with room for the whole family to spread out. The kitchen in our unit was well equipped and we prepared several meals during our stay. We even used the bbq out on the balcony and it was in working order. The bedrooms were lovely and the beds were very comfortable, they both walk out to a small patio / yard area also. The view of the mountains was enjoyed from the main floor.

There is a hot tub on the property that we did not end up using, but it looked nice.

These condos are vacation rental style in that they do not include housekeeping during your stay, but before and after. They provide a welcome kit with 2 dishwasher cleaner single serve packets, 2 tide pods, a small bottle of dish soap & a sponge. This was adequate for our two night stay. There is a dumpster and recycling area on property to dispose of waste during your stay.

This property advertises being pet friendly, however make sure your request is confirmed as not all of the units allow pets. There are a limited number of pet friendly rooms. There is an additional $20/night charge which I do not mind paying for the convenience.

Our family loved our stay in the condo, it was a perfect little ski getaway for us. I like the rustic yet modern décor. A great value for a family. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars was the sofabed was really in bad shape.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Darryll H, General Manager at Fire Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear momtravelswith3; As a Top Contributor on TripAdvisor, I especially appreciate your excellent review regarding your recent stay with us! I’m pleased you enjoyed our spacious and well-equipped suites. I’m pleased you also enjoyed our excellent location, which is just a short drive from downtown Canmore. Once again, thank you for your review and I do look forward to hosting you and your family again in future!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Signage to find this property is minimal and check in is at the sister property on the next block. While this looks like a newer property, it is located in an area where heavy development of condo like resorts are being built and near enough to each other to maximize density development. There is covered parking being covered by the walkway for the second floor rooms. The second floor rooms have a decent size balcony off the second bdrm with a beautiful view of the mountains, there is also a huge open lot which I suspect will be developed in the future that may well affect the current nice view. On the main level, there is another smaller balcony with a full size outdoor BBQ that definitely was not in a useable state. From this balcony you can look down to the patios of the rooms below..not much privacy for the first floor rooms although they have the advantage of entry without climbing stairs and being closer to the hot tub that is accessible only through the office with your room card and surrounded by a tall wooden fence..no real view unfortunately from this hot tub. The kitchen is beautiful...it really is as per the pics on the website, a sofa bed in the living/family room with a 2 piece bath on the main level. Management kindly gives a cleaning pkg for your stay, they also leave notes that all kitchen utensils are to be accounted for or charged out to your tab for any missing items..?? Really? This obviously must be a problem.
There is a master bdrm with a king bed and the second bdrm with a queen adjoined to the main 3 piece bathroom and having the larger walk out balcony. There is also a washer dryer on the second floor. The beds were comfortable to sleep in, wifi seemed to be intermittent and the lack of staff access like housekeeping was difficult at best. It's a nice condo, it could be better run and looked after, the location is so so...I wouldn't stay here again though. For the price, I would find other places to stay.

Room Tip: Second floor has the views if that's important for you and which involves a flight of stairs. It...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Darryll H, General Manager at Fire Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear MauiMamaG; Thank you for sharing your experience. Please accept our deepest apologies for all the trouble and inconveniences caused. No excuses can be offered except we have failed in our service. I would like an opportunity to invite you back. Please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make sure you get the stay you deserve.

We look forward to redeeming ourselves and regaining your trust in our services.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

The size of the condo was great for the price! It was two floors, with the bedrooms being on the second, so it was easy for anyone that wanted to go to bed early or sleep in! Great views, especially from the master! TV's in the bedrooms was a nice touch.
The downsides were that the main office (where you go to check in) was separate from the condo. I had read other reviews so I had a head's up about this. Upon arrival at the condo I was able to ask a maid where we go to check in, so I found it pretty easily. But there really wasn't very good signage as to where to check in. But this wasn't a deal breaker. With exception of the master bedroom, the bedrooms were small. But we were really there just to sleep, so not a big deal.
I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amy K
Darryll H, General Manager at Fire Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Amy K ; Thank you for taking the time to write an excellent review regarding your most recent stay with us. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay at Fire Mountain Lodge, with everything they have to offer. Yes, Check-in is located just a short distance from another of our amazing properties we have in the Canmore area. Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to hosting you and your family on your next trip to the Canmore area.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This could be such a nice place, so it's disappointing that the management attention to detail is so poor. We had booked an upper suite, which had stunning views. (NB. All suites are two-level, so not for anyone with mobility difficulties.) The layout is lovely - ours was a decent-sized kitchen with a breakfast bar seating 3, dining area seating six, and then a fairly big living area with picture windows leading out to the deck. (It was winter, so we didn't really venture onto the deck much, but it looked nice.)
The problem? Well, first of all, like another traveler commented, it was dirty. Very dirty. Toenail clippings on the floor beside the bed dirty. (Yes, really. And yes, ugh.) It was also noticeable that some of the fittings / carpets etc. are getting old and worn and need replacing soon. I doubt this will happen, sadly.

The second problem was that what was supposed to be in the apartment in terms of equipment (e.g. glasses, knives, forks, etc.) bore no resemblance to what was actually there. We did ask management to sort this out, but nothing happened (default position for Bellstar, unfortunately). We got by because my brother and sister-in-law had another suite downstairs, so we scavenged off each other depending who was cooking/eating when, but it would have been difficult if they were not there.

The other relevant point was that on the day we arrived, my suite was ready, but theirs was not, and the front desk and housekeeping seemed in total chaos. It was 2 1/2 hours before my sister-in-law got into her suite, and no one seemed to really be hurrying things along, just giving excuses as to why it wasn't happening.

So overall, although it is hard to beat the location and the views towards the mountains, I don't think we would stay again - if it's this bad now, what will it be like in another year of wear, tear, lack of cleaning and stuff not getting replaced when lost / broken?

Room Tip: Upstairs suites are much nicer.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

FounderBelle: First off I would like to apologize for the state your suite was in upon arrival. All of our suites are currently undergoing the annual deep cleans and both our engineering and housekeeping teams are working hard to bring our suites up to their full potential.
Also I do apologize for the suite that did not have have the equipment needed and more importantly the follow up did not happen. I will be looking into all matters you have indicated. I do appreciate the constrictive comments as it allows us to correct matters the are required.

I would like to welcome you back to Fire Mountain Lodge or another of our Bellstar Resorts in the future. If you would like to speak further regarding your stay please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Gemeral Manager

Reviewed 1 January 2014

we stayed over the Remembrance day long weekend in November of 2013. the suite/apt was very nice, tv in the living room was a bit small but kitchen was nicely appointed. good location, we could walk to the downtown shopping and all the restaurants we wanted to try. some noisy people next door but not too big of an issue. For what we paid we were pleased and would definitely return with our family of six. The view was fantastic and unlike some other reviewers, we found our suite very clean.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Christine B; Thank you for taking the time to post an excellent review regarding your recent stay. We pride ourselves on ensuring your stay is a memorable one and it was of good value and you enjoyed the suites at Fire Mountain Lodge. Once again, thank you for your review, your continued patronage. We look forward to hosting you and your family again in future!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Fantastic location and potentially a very nice place if it were CLEAN! Really nice layout with a peninsula-style kitchen, powder room, dining room, living room with gas fireplace and a laundry room on the main floor. A balcony off the living room is complete with patio furniture and BBQ overlooking the mountains (beautiful view). Upper level has 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths. Unfortunately, the nicest properties can be a huge turn off if they are not clean. It was obvious that there had been some drywall or ceiling repairs done in the unit as there was white dust and larger white particles throughout the entire suite and it had not even been vacuumed!!! There was only a part roll of toilet tissue in each bathroom and no towels or dish soap for the kitchen. The tissue and towels were a minor inconvenience only but the lack of cleanliness was really disappointing. No one seemed to be concerned about it and unfortunately we had several suites rented for a family wedding and the others weren't much cleaner. The suites are in rough shape with perhaps one too many party, but if they were at least clean it would've been a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Upper level has spectacular mountain views!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank billie r
Tanya W, Front Office Manager at Fire Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the location and the layout of our suites at Fire Mountain Lodge. The suites are all set up on two different levels, with the bedrooms being upstairs in our premium view units and downstairs in our two bed room walk out units. All suites are provided with fully stocked kitchen, a full living room with a queen size pullout couch, balconies overlooking the beauty of Canmore, & all guests favorite a BBQ and patio furniture out on the balcony. The location is nice and convenient being a close walk to Downtown Canmore without all the added noise that comes with being in the heart of Downtown.

Tanya Whelan
Guest Services Supervisor

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed here with my family and my sister and nephew. The two bedroom (down stair) was suitable for us and quiet, and each bedroom had a full bath. The kitchen was well equipped, although we didn't use the equipment much -- only for cooking simple meals, such as instant noodle. The view from the main floor was beautiful. We could see Three Sister Mt. and Canmore's beautiful surrounding area. Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

Downside: parking space was very limited. We also preferred a single story apartment (such as those at Lodges at Canmore -- under the same management -- where we stayed previously).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank welirang
Tanya W, Manager at Fire Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Thank you for the great review weilrang!
I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at Fire Mountain Lodge, the two bedroom walk out units are a great layout especially during those hot summer nights with the bedrooms located downstairs in each unit. Our kitchens are definitely a guest favorite with the option of eating in during their stay rather than always having to eat out, even if it is just for a simple.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the views from units at Fire Mountain Lodge, as this property is unique in all suites having phenomenal views of the mountains, especially from our upper suites. Both two and three bedroom condos are available in these types.
While I did see that you would prefer staying in a condo that only has one floor I would love to welcome you back to The Lodges at Canmore, or if you would like to try something new perhaps our sister property Solara Resort & Spa would better suite your needs.

Tanya Whelan