“Into the Deep”

Canmore Cave Tours
Ranked #1 of 61 things to do in Canmore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Canmore Cave Tours operates year-round tours in Rat's Nest Cave, near Canmore, Alberta, Canada. For those seeking as much excitement as possible, including squeezes, rappels, and other adrenaline-inducing activities we offer a 6-hour "Adventure Tour". For those just looking to sample what the cave has to offer, or those with less time, we offer a 4.5 hour "Explorer Tour". We can offer these tours year-round, in any weather because the cave is a constant 5 degrees Celsius, a comfortable temperature any time of the year.
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We did this cave tour in the middle of winter in December. This was the first caving experience for all of us in the group. We were 5 members in the group. We took the 6 hour tour and drove to the cave site. There was a half an hour hike to the cave opening.

I am extremely claustrophobic so the hike helped ease me into the caving experience. The guide was very adept and had back ups for everything. One of our group members had the helmet light malfunction and she had a backup light to replace it immediately. There is no natural light within the cave so the headlights are your only illumination to lead the way.
The guide kept encouraging and talked us through. The guide gave us the option to stay back for some of the group who didn't want to get into a tight squeeze such as the laundry chute. She said that we were never stuck anywhere just temporarily immobilized.

The cave is at a constant temperature of 4C regardless of outside temperature. No water is allowed in the cave except for the emergency supply carried by the guide. The most fun experience is the great repelling down through a tunnel.

We had a great experience lead by an experienced guide who explained everything and put us at ease. She was always there to lend a hand or advice to navigate through the cave. Overall a great fun experience. Let me add that the 6 hour tour was a bit much for me because of my claustrophobia. But thanks to our wonderful guide I made the trip!! And even tried the most challenging squeezes of the tour. Anybody else up for the squeeze? This is a must do for all adventure seekers!!

2  Thank Aarthi R
CaveTours, Admin Support at Canmore Cave Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2016

Way to go! Sounds like you really challenged yourself.

There are many reviews suggesting those with claustrophobia shouldn't try it so it is refreshing to hear your perspective as someone who is claustrophobic and thoroughly enjoyed your day.

Thank you for sharing your experience and tips!

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

My son (13) and I loved it! Out of all our activities on our 16 day vacation, this was by far our most unique activity.
Calvin, our guide was great. He was very knowledgeable and entertaining. We loved the part where we turned off our head lamps and the cave became pitch black. The one negative that I must say is that they should use Febreeze or soak the helmets in bleach. The helmets smell of sweat. Overalls get washed, so should the helmets.

2  Thank swaldman111

It's an honour to be the most unique activity on your trip to the area :)

We appreciate your note about the helmets, we apologize if the smell impacted your tour. Since helmets can't go in the washer quite the same as the coveralls we hand 'wash' them after each tour using an antiseptic product called Dettol, even we must admit, it doesn't smell that great but it does protect against germs.

Thank you for your review, we always appreciate feedback!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My friend and I did the Explorer tour, and although we were nervous about what the tour entailed it turned out to be great fun. The hike up the mountain was great, as the guide took her time and told interesting information along the way. Inside the caves was great. We were underground for 2 hours. The perfect amount of time. If you are claustrophobic, this tour is not for you. However, our guide knew our limits very quickly off the bat, and she was accommodating.

2  Thank KellyAE2014

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for joining us. It's great to hear you enjoyed your Explorer Tour!
We often find that those who are a little nervous have the most fun :)

We've had many guests who have really challenged themselves. Certainly you are correct that this activity is not for everyone but people really know themselves best and some suffering from claustrophobia are able to conquer their fears! (Anyone considering if this activity is right for them should give our office a call, visit our website and even consult some reviews here.)

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and your fellow travellers.

The Canmore Cave Tours Team

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My friend and I went on the 4 hour caving adventure while in Alberta and had an absolute blast! It was the best part of my trip. We are both in our 20s and in decent shape but still found this adventure challenging. It was more physically demanding than I anticipated but was well worth the energy. We had Nelson as our guide and he was friendly, patient and knowledgable. He was also extremely helpful to everyone in the group and I coudn't have made it up the last rock climb without him. Thanks for a wonderful experience. I would reccommend this to everyone looking for some adventure!

1  Thank rheanna r

Thanks Rheanna - A sense of adventure us certainly a prerequisite for a Rat's Nest Cave Tour!

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Never been anywhere like this before. Danielle was a great guide telling us stories and helping us to have fun! Amazing views and an out of this world expirence. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Thank you for your recommendation!