“Great dinner with friends”

The Trough Dining Co.
Ranked #1 of 124 Restaurants in Canmore
Price range: US$24 - US$47
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located just one block away from Main Street.
Calgary, Canada
“Great dinner with friends”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We drove from Calgary to Canmore for dinner on Friday night with some friends. We had made a reservation and it was a good thing we did as it was quite steady. Our server was very good and helpful but reminded us on a few occasions that the table was booked after us and alluded to the fact that we should hurry. This was not appreciated especially when you spend $400 for dinner and were looking at catching up with friends.

Everything else was great and I had some serious meal envy for the two people at our table that ordered the beef tenderloin. I had ordered the veal and it was tough and not that flavorful but the sides were good.

We may go back and I would recommend trying The Trough at least once.

• Visited June 2014

New Jersey
“Lovely upscale dining in Canmore”
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We chose The Trough based on the reviews we read here. We were not disappointed. We were treated royally and enjoyed our meals. We shared the salmon pate which was delicious and apparently a new addition to their menu. I had the duck which came with a savory risotto while my husband had the beef tenderloin. Highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited June 2014
Malvern, Australia
“Food just wasn't that great”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I dined here tonight after the excellent trip advisor reviews. The menu on the website was slightly different to that in the restaurant. We arrived, service was friendly and we were shown to a large table which was great. Drinks were taken quickly as was our food order. Not a big thing, but there was no bread, with the waiter advising they don't have bread for a reason. Puzzling. My wife and I both eat out a bit and both agreed that both our starters and main meals were ok at best. They were well described on the menus, however, they just weren't cooked to the high standard that we were expecting. Our meals were warm at best, with the risotto being a little mushy. Ok, but not worth the money or reputation given other places in town.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Phill3750456
Blocked
“amazing service”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Pablo catered to our guests; providing elegant yet warm and friendly service. Steak tartare was beautiful as was a really succulent duck

Visited May 2014
Canmore, Canada
“Regulars at The Trough”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have to say, my husband and I are long time locals and have been dining at The Trough for years now and we haven't had anything but exceptional experiences everytime!!!
So I thought I'd leave a review as I believe we were, in fact, dining the same night the horrible review below was.
My husband was appalled when I read their review to him and said I had to write my own. (And we never do this) but this time I think it's only my right.

We've always enjoyed eating here!! The food quality and wine selection have always been spectacular!!
Cheryl and Richard are always great hosts that have always gone above and beyond for us and any friends we've ever brought in to accompany us!
I do however remember this night quite clear as that party that was in was being extremely loud and obnoxious, we could hardly enjoy eachothers conversation as we couldn't even hear ourselves speak, and we did in fact mention this to our waitress. (The Trough is quite a small and intimate setting)
I have to say, I think it's a real shame that you feel you and your party were acting appropriately in a fine dining restaurant being as obnoxious an noisy as you were.

If I can make a suggestion... The next time you decide to bring a big party of noisy and disrespectful people to dine, maybe it's best it not be to a fine dining restaurant where others would like to enjoy their meal as well, or just rent out the establishment for the evening so others can enjoy themselves as well.
We thought Cheryl had dealt with the issue just fine do to the circumstances as the rest of the restaurant was full.

Thank you Cheryl and Richard for your outstanding service at The Trough and for setting the bar for fine dining in Canmore!!
The other great reviews speak for themselves!!!
We will be back!!