“Great hotel - restaurant not at par at breakfast”

Sheraton Montreal Airport Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Dorval
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Because this hotel is litterally adjoining the airport runways, I wasn't sure what kind of sleep I would get. I was pleasantly surprised. Once inside, you could forget completely where you were. The decoration, the atmosphere, the quality of the room were all extremely nice. The rooms have obviously been refurbished and the old bathtub replaced by a roomy shower. One note - there is no need for foreign visitors to go to Niagara Falls, they can experience it in the shower! Water conservation was not part of the considerations in selecting the shower head. It is true that with the St. Lawrence river 2km away, it is hard to sell water conservation.
Saturday morning 8 am - time for breakfast - and today, I am not in a hurry, the museum I plan to visit only opens at 10. So, I decide not to do the buffet, but order à la carte. The waiter offers me coffee, congratulates me on my choices (berries in season, bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon). He then proceeds to help the lady whose job it is to clear the tables nearby that have been used by a tour group. This goes on for a while. They are hurrying and piling dishes on a cart, as fast as they can, as if their life depended on it - and of course, what had to happen, one of the piles collapse and dishes fall on the floor and break. In the meantime, while being entertained, I am still waiting for food. Finally, I catch the eye of the server and point out to him that I would like the fruits to arrive before the bagel. He then disappears - and come back with a fruit plate that I suspect he got from the buffet. While nice, they are not berries in season (should have been raspberries and blueberries at this point). Eventually the bagel arrives - again OK, but could have been toasted more. My point however is that there was no line of customers waiting for tables to be cleared at the door for the waiter to reassign himself as table clearer. Even then, he could have done that after he served me the fruit. The way the tables were cleared was unacceptable - noisy and on a cart without sides - plastic bins anyone? Making two trips maybe? Getting your priorities straight? The employees in question were not students, but mature adults. The only explanation I could find for their behaviour was that there must have been a manager yelling at them somewhere.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Kevin G, General Manager at Sheraton Montreal Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

We appreciate the time you have taken to review the hotel on your stay with us. My apologies that the level of service was not up to standards that day. No excuses this should not have happened. We will investigate and take action to ensure this does not happen again. Sincerely, Kevin.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was here for a convention, and overall the hotel met all my needs adequately, but never really surpassed being adequate. I opted to pay more for club level access and was disappointed daily by what they considered "breakfast." Cereal, coffee, juice and hard-boiled eggs a good breakfast does not make.

I was also billed the wrong nightly rate upon checkout, thankfully I noticed before I left and was able to get it corrected. Lastly, it's hard to fully describe just how far in the middle of nowhere Dorval is. Granted, it is an airport hotel, but there is nothing of worth nearby.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on your stay with us. Our breakfast normally has fresh fruits, berries, selection of bread, Danish and croissants. Not sure what happened on this particular morning. Hopefully you enjoyed the evening snacks and beverages. Dorval is 15 to 20 minutes from down town and many shopping malls. We should have done a better job letting you know this. My sincere apologies for the incorrect rate. Best regards, Kevin.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Well priced, beautifully renovated, I plan to stay here every time I visit Montreal! Wifi was included during my stay, and staff was very friendly and courteous. Free shuttle to the airport-- very convenient. Beautifully designed hotel overall. Complimentary breakfast would be nice!

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on your stay with us. We do appreciate your feedback. Best regards, Kevin.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Good hotel very convenient for airport, visited on business and fitted my requirements perfectly. You can see the hotel is being refurbished internally. Really clean, My room was ideal, plenty of space, good wifi. Would use again if in the area.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. We look forward to you staying with us again. Best regards, Kevin.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Sheraton Hotel - YUL Airport
We were in Montreal for a wedding arriving on July 10 through 15. We arrived on a Redeye and where able to get early checkin. We were very grateful for that. We took the shuttle to the hotel. Amazing as you are right at the airport, and I think I only heard one or two planes take off while we were there. The hotel has been complete renovated. The bed was very comfortable, room clean and the ac worked well. The only comment I would make was that there was no mirror in the room, so getting ready for the wedding, you both have to share the mirror in the bathroom.

We had breakfast there and you have a buffet option available also. Food was ok, the service was good, quick and friendly.

They do have a workout room that look new and clean.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. Just a short walk and you are at the train station and bus station. So easy to get right downtown and jump on the metro.

We would stay at this hotel again. Easy walking distance to the Dorval shopping mall, train station and bus terminal.

Room Tip: Surprisingly quiet, AC was excellent and aircraft taking off was an issue for us.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Kevin G, General Manager at Sheraton Montreal Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us and your feedback. Great to read you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we will be seeing you again. Best regards, Kevin.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Traveled by Air Canada - NEVER doing that again! - and late getting into Montreal. Aircrew never said a word and got to next gate with all luggage but would not let us on - #%^*+{¥ attitude problem with Air Canada employee and plane departed with many empty seats and 15 very angry travelers. Had to wait 24 hours to depart.
However, got booked at this SPG hotel and very nice and staff so friendly. They took care of us and for sure because we are SPG members.

Room Tip: Any room and all Superior!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you staying with us. Best regards Kevin.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The hotel has newly renovated rooms (ask for the tower instead of the donut) that are spacious and very comfortable. The front desk does an excellent job in welcoming guests and making them feel valued but that's where the service stops.

For room service, I tried calling four times each with no answer. Finally, I called the front desk and asked to have room service call me back. When, 15 minutes later, I was called back, the gentleman asked if I wouldn't prefer coming down to the restaurant. The whole process started at 6:45 and finished, when my meal arrived, at 8.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for a business traveler who wants a place close to the airport. Also, it is worth paying extra for the club room since they provide a very generous spread for guests.

Room Tip: Avoid the donut - tower rooms are newly renovated and very spacious.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sebastian C

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We do appreciate your feedback. The garden section has newly renovated rooms as well so you will not be disappointed. My sincere apologies for the level of service from room service. No excuses this should not have happened. Sincerely, Kevin.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorval
Dorval / Airport / Train Station
Aloft Montreal Airport
Aloft Montreal Airport
#49 of 165 in Montreal

Been to Sheraton Montreal Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!