“Great Restaurant - wish we lived closer……..”
Review of The Brock House

The Brock House
Ranked #15 of 323 Restaurants in Whitby
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Winnipeg, Manitoba
“Great Restaurant – wish we lived closer……..”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We chose The Brock House for a family gathering/65th Wedding Anniversary lunch based on reviews, as well as a recommendation from a niece.

Our reserved table was set and ready upon our arrival and we had an excellent waiter (Shariq). He was very accommodating – providing excellent suggestions for both food and refreshments. He was especially great to our 88 year old parents. When they found our table a little cool he quickly moved us to another table beside the fireplace which he lit.

The food – all of it was very good – French Onion Soup, ribs, mussels, clubhouses, French Dip, and personal size pizzas that are anything but made for one………..

They have a great selection of craft beers and a good selection of wines. It also appears that they make an effort to draw patrons with a variety of events – beer tastings, wine tastings, etc.

The atmosphere is upscale but not stuffy.

What truly sets this place apart though, was the service – it was fabulous. Shariq was one of the most professional and entertaining waiters we have had in ages.

• Visited May 2014

Toronto, Canada
“First Impressions are Lasting Ones!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This was our first trip to "The Brock House" and it will likely be our last! We were two in a party of ten and although the place looks very nice ...it's not without its problems!

I ordered a Caesar Salad to start and the New York Steak as my entree. It took approx. 20 minutes to get a drink and another 20 minutes before my salad showed up. My entree came approx. 30 minutes later and it was stone cold. I flagged down the waiter and asked him if he could reheat my meal. He told me that they would simply replace it with a new one. Another member of our party also had to return his meal because it was cold. Approx. 15 minutes later the waiter returned with both meals and to our surprise they were our original meals simply reheated. My meal was warmer but the steak was severely overcooked, the mashed potatoes were rock hard and the vegetables were hard and cold.

To add insult to injury when I received me bill there was a $25.00 item on our bill that wasn't ours. I asked the other members of our party if one of then had ordered the item and sure enough it belonged to a couple at the other end of the table.

I think what troubled me most about this dining experience is that all the way home I kept thinking of other places we had eaten for far less money and had better service and food. My expectations of the "The Brock House" were very high ...sadly this establishment didn't come close to meeting my expectations and as such I won't be going back any time soon or recommending this place to my friends.

There are much restaurants in the area that represent better value.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Galaxy2010
Toronto
“Nice place for larger groups”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We have been to this restaurant several times for both the breakfast buffet and dinner.
The food was pretty good but not over the top in my opinion. Lots of space for large parties or special occasions. Alot of people I know love this restaurant!

• Visited March 2014
Whitby, Canada
“Good looking!!”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Great looking place and great food.
had a couple of dinners and lunch here and all was very enjoyable.
Food fresh and have really good specials to try.
I would recommend this place for a good dinner out.

• Visited February 2014
Whitby, Canada
“Loud with cold, flavourless food.”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We went as a family for my father's birthday. The set up of the restaurant was not very well thought out. There are no sound buffers at all. We were almost having to yell across the table to hear each other as the bar area was sooooooo loud. My appetizer was cold and rubbery. My steak was overcooked and flavourless. The best part of the meal was the potatoes.....and I don't really care for potatoes!!!!

• Visited October 2013