“Two thumbs up for The Brock House!”
Review of The Brock House

The Brock House
Ranked #15 of 323 Restaurants in Whitby
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oshawa
“Two thumbs up for The Brock House!”
Reviewed 30 September 2010

After reading 2 disappointing reviews for this restaurant. my husband and I decided to try it for our Anniversary dinner anyways, and we are glad we did!!
The staff was welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable. The atmosphere and decor was warm, relaxing and inviting. And the food was absolutely delicious!! Service was also much faster than we expected. My husband had the prime rib which was over an inch thick, juicy, flavorful and melt in your mouth cooked to perfection! I had the Dancing Half Chicken with their house-made Jack Daniel's sauce, also tender and juicy! My chicken portion was more than ample but I ate it all as it was too good to leave on the plate! The potatoes were also fresh, with a delicious home made flavor and the mixed vegetables were fresh and cooked tender crisp. We both had the Vanilla Strawberry Creme Brulee for dessert and it was absolutely sinful, a perfect ending to a delicious meal!
To the people that didn't like the Brock house, either they are so picky that nothing would please them, or, they don't know what real gourmet food should taste like and maybe they should stick to McDonalds in the future! We would highly recommend The Brock House to anyone with an appreciation for good food and we will definitely go back, also because you can't beat their prices for the quality of their food and the portions served!!

Niagara Falls, Canada
“Great service - horrible, over-priced food”
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We are searching for a nice restaurant to have a family dinner for 22 people in November. We started our search at The Brock House. The decor inside and out is very appealing and our waitress was a real sweetheart. She had to memorize the specials and also the dessert menu - and also all our orders! She did a great job. She was very attentive and we couldn't have asked for a better server.

The problem with The Brock House is their horrible food and outrageous prices! The best item we ordered was the pulled pork nachos - excellent, but expensive at almost $15. My son ordered fish & chips - overcooked fish, to the point of a burnt end still attached, and coleslaw with absolutely no flavour at all. The fries and the tartar sauce were the only good things on his plate. My daughter ordered prime-rib with cheddar mashed potatoes. The meat had no flavour and was at least half fat. The potatoes tasted like something out of a box. The 2 pasta dishes had overcooked meat and were very small portions. We were surprised that none of the meals were accompanied by salads or even a piece of garlic bread with the pasta dishes. We ordered chocolate cake and cheesecake for dessert. They were both excellent. We were disappointed with the entrees. Obviously we won't be having our family dinner in November at this restaurant.

Ontario's Near North, Canada
“Give it a try!”
Reviewed 29 July 2010

There was such anticipation about the new Brock House in Whitby. Its delayed opening only raised expectations. And, with the previous success of the owners in other area restaurants, 'everyone' expected the Brock House to be great.

Is it GREAT? No. But is worth going to? Absolutely yes. Chain restaurants are everywhere in the Whitby. The local restaurants deserve a try and the Brock House is not exception.

My first meal there was with my wife, for lunch. The restaurant is clean, spacious and the decor is very tasteful. Think upscale casual with a dash of sportsbar-- without the neon signs. My wife really enjoyed her Rubin sandwich-- "one of the best ever". My burger was great as well. Service was very pleasant and attentive.

My next meal was a long dinner with an old friend. We were there for over two hours. Again, the service was terrific. The food excellent as well. I really enjoyed the lemon merangue pie for dessert.

The Brock House is another excellent option in Whitby. Ignore the low level negative buzz that seems to be out there. I'm picky and have high expectations. Don't expect to pay East Side Mario's prices there though (I like ESM as well, so that's not a knock). No complaints. I'd definitely go back again and I'd have no hesitation taking out-of-town guests there as well.

Rochester Hills, Michigan
“The worst experience I have ever had”
Reviewed 2 June 2010

My parents, wife and I were in town visiting my uncle (in the hospital) and went out to dinner with my aunt to the Brock House. It looked like it was going to be good but to our dismay it wasn’t. As I have since read other reviews and noted they all seemed to point out over prices and poor quality food. My father order the pulled pork sandwich, which was the only entre any good but over priced. My aunt and wife ordered the fish and chip and both were over cooked to the point of drying the fish out, neither finish them as they were so bad. My mother ordered the Rubin sandwich which had little to no coleslaw on it, however that is the way she likes it so that was okay. I ordered their hamburger medium rare and it came out well done. I had to flag down the waitress to get her to back over to the table and showed it to her which she reluctantly but took it back to have it redone. A short while later the owner showed up with the original hamburger and asked what the problem was. I explained that it was over cooked and dry. He proceeded to tell me I didn’t know what I was talking about and pointed to the center of it saying there is pink there. I told him well if there is I can’t see it. He then set (and that is putting mildly) the plate down in front of me and said he had two ACE chefs and that was the best he could do and if I didn’t like it that was the way it was going to be. Things did not end there. I, at the time, did not know he was the owner so I stopped a the desk on the way out and he came over as pleasant as can be. I asked his name, which he gave me (Russel Kent the Owner), and questioned why was something wrong? I explained to him that I used to try out the Outback restaurants as they opened in my area for the district manager to trouble shoot problems and I had never seen so poorly run or managed an established in my life as this. He started in saying that he should have known we were only free loaders look to get something. I told him it was obvious he didn’t need our business and while trying to leave he started yelling at us he didn’t need patrons like us either. All we could was to get out of there.

2 Thank VeryUnhappy14