“They need to be more accomodating”

Residence Inn Whitby
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I recently found myself on a business trip with a bit of an awkward timetable. My attempt to ask for a late checkout (still well prior to check-in time) was firmly rebuffed. I offered to pay a fee to check-out late. Still rebuffed. Too much hassle for the maids. I would have to call in the morning and see if this was possible. The desk clerk went to the back to see a manager who did not come out and speak to me. It was like the games they play at a car dealership.

I really had an issue with the lack of service and lack of effort. A Marriott should do better than this.

I really was in a tough spot so I picked up the phone called the Holiday Inn Express right next door, explained my situation and a manager there took care of my needs, giving me a late checkout free of charge even though I still offered to pay. Attitude at the front desk was very, very different, much more service oriented and pleasant.

The service contrast speaks for itself.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
WhitbyRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Whitby, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear SteadyEddieOttawa,
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a comment about our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectation with regards to a late check out request. We were sold out and that was the reason that we could not accommodate your equest. We do try our very best to give as many late check outs as we can but please understand that the guest that is checking in also wants to get into their room as soon as possible. If you are ever in this area again, we would love for you to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectation. Should you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to contact me directly.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Whitby

Reviewed 16 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed 4 nights at the Residence Inn Whitby and found it roomy, comfortable and clean. We enjoyed the quiet the first 2 days, but on the weekend a hockey team of young boys occupied our floor. Our hallway turned into a combination hockey rink, playground and meeting place, with many of the parents joining in the gathering. Running, laughter, loud conversation/shouting, and slamming doors continued past 11 pm, in addition to a yappy dog in the next room. As we returned to our room, stepping over the kids laying in the hall, one of the parents wondered why they would put us in a room surrounded by the hockey team. When we checked in on Wednesday, the hotel seemed largely empty and I don't see why staff couldn't foresee our weekend surroundings, and put us in a room in another part of the hotel. On our next trip to Whitby, I think we'll try the Holiday Inn Express next door.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Rick E.
Thank you for the wonderful comments about your most recent stay with us, I do apologize that the last 2 nights of your stay was disturbed by the hockey team that was on the same floor as yourself. We do try our best to ensure that teams are blocked on different floors than our leisure and corporate guests, however that is not always possible. I apologize that we didn't do a better job of ensuring that your stay was not hindered by these teams. I do look forward to having you stay with us again and experiencing what you did during your first 2 days with us on this recent trip. Please feel free to contact me when you are ready to make your reservations and I will ensure that you are well taken care of.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

My husband was down for a meeting and I traveled with him. The hotel is in a good location for my husband to travel to his meeting. Location is great for accessing the main roads and there are alot of places to eat across the road. Hotel staff is very friendly and the rooms are very clean and beds very comfortable. Room had a kitchen and sitting area and for some reason we were given a two bedroom and two bathroom. Lots of room and a great place for a family to stay when travelling.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Maryannes894,
Thank you for the kind words you posted on Tripadvisor regading your last stay with us. It is always great to hear that our guests thoroughly enjoyed their stay with us. We do strive to exceed your expectations and hopefully we did that for you. Our 2 bedrooms are well appointed with 2 seperate bedrooms and 2 seperate bathrooms and are ideally suited for larger families although they do work with smaller ones as well. We look forward to having you stay with us whenever you are in the area again.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Check in was fast and easy. We stayed inn room 211. One can hear an extremely loud air conditioning unit humming just outside the window. The shower had not been properly cleaned as there was a lot of blue shower gel/ shampoo on the shower curtain and walls. The pool area needs some updating. The pool area - hotub only half of the jets work and the floor has lost some paint. The pool - had a lot of debris in the water and the tile surrounding the pool and hotub is extremely slippery and there was hair and dirt on the floor.
Overall the hotel was nice they just need to improve the pool area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
WhitbyRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Whitby, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear RachelB,
Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your last stay with us. I must apologize for the experience you had in our pool, we have actually just signed a contract to renovate that area of the hotel and it should be completed by the middle of December. We look forward to welcoming you back to experience it when it is completed.

Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and not one thing to complain about. A real home from home. Large rooms with all the facilities you would need. Staff were excellent too. All round great experience and would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Robert C.
Thank you for the great comments on Tripadvisor regarding your last stay with us. I am elated that you felt at home with us, that is the experience that we strive for all our guests to have. We look forward to welcoming you home again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

It was worth revisiting again. It was clean and a great choice when staying for a few days. I checked out the room prior to putting the money down. There was 2 separate rooms and a full kitchen. Plenty of towels, free full breakfast and dinners if you were interested. It was quiet and close to the expressway. Best mattress on the whole trip! Thanks for keeping up a great hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Charmingnl,
Thank you for the great comments on Tripadvisor regarding your last stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and looking forward to visiting again. Many of our guests compliment us on our mattresses and share your experience regarding getting a good night sleep.

Subash

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitby
Quality Suites
#2 of 7 in Whitby
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown - Toronto Area

Been to Residence Inn Whitby? Share your experiences!