Canal Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Welland
Reviewed 16 May 2008

This hotel is conveniently located at the edge of town -- very quiet --and across the street from M. T. Bellies (a restaurant that is better than its name suggests and for which the hotel has discount coupons) and within walking distance of a mall and a large grocery. The front desk staff was friendly and accommodating. The small fitness room was under renovation and unavailable, and the free continental breakfast was minimal (cereal, begals, toast, juice, and coffee). We stayed two nights. The maid did not completely replace our used linens and we found straws and what appeared to be candy and lots of dust behind the night stand. Lots of TV channels and free wireless were available. This hotel was adequate but not so good a bargain as I've received previously from the same bidding site. However, the hotel did grant our request for a non-smoking room with two beds.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 October 2007

After reading the negative reviews i was definitely a little hesistant to stay in this hotel. However, I was pleasantly surprised and just wanted to let everyone know that they shouldn't believe everything they read. My experience was great! the room was basic, but clean and met our needs. Upon arrival, there was a really beautiful girl behind the front desk called mattae I think, who was smiling and VERY helpful and friendly our entire stay. The housekeepers were pretty good and helped us when we didn't have enough shampoo and towels in the room. Only downside was there was no fitness room, but the gym is just around the corner and cheap. Continental breakfast was basic, but very nice. All in all , we enjoyed our stay and will returen for sure!

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 24 August 2007

The hotel was noisy and the staff at the hotel was no assistance. They seem to think that being unable to sleep because of slamming doors all night is okay. We booked a 3 night stay and after the first night, my husband went to the front desk to complain about the noise and state that we were planning on checking out early due to the commotion. The night manager was just concerned about not giving us our money back "because we booked through Priceline" and had no concern for our comfort. The second night was even worse and we checked out at 4:00 a.m. Again, we told the night clerk it was due to the noise and once again, no one was sent to check on the noise level. She was just concerned that she could not get the checkout to work because we were still supposed to be staying one more day (no way)!!

We would have had a better nights sleep parking at the end of the parking lot and sleeping in our car. If you are traveling, stay away from this hotel as you will not get enough sleep to continue on safely on your journey.

This was our worse hotel stay ever!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank Lexie164
Reviewed 9 August 2007

This hotel was so noisy it was ridiculous! There were doors slamming all night and people talking outside of our door. We were unable to get anything other than fitful sleep the first night. We had booked for 3 nights and decided to try to give it one more night, otherwise we would check out early. In the early evening of the second night we called the desk clerk and explained about the noise problem and our intention to check out. She checked with the manager and said, since we booked through Priceline.com there would be no refunds even though they have a "100% satisfaction" policy posted. The second night was as bad, if not worse, than the first as far as noise. We tried checking out at 4:00 am and once again mentioned the noise problem. The clerk on duty was unable to check us out for some reason (probably because there was still a day left on our stay). After waiting over 1/2 hour she said we could leave and she would get it straightened out when the day shift came in. Luckily my husband was able to drive home, because If I had to, I was so overtired we probably would have had an accident. According to the manager, we are not entitled to any kind of refund because we did not "call to complain" while the noise was happening.

Avoid this "hotel" like the plague!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lexie164
Reviewed 30 July 2007

After reading the few negative comments for this hotel I decided to book for just one night. We have absolutely no complaints. Front office people were extremely friendly and very helpful with minor problems that we had. When we asked to stay more than one night they also agreed to match the very low rate that I had for my first night. I would recommend this hotel!
Joe

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed 20 July 2007

The manager was mean. He talked down to me, and one of the housekeepers in front of me. The lady at the front desk (Amanda) had a cigarette while I waited for her to get my key. The breakfast was basically cereal and toast.

The room's decor was very outdated (everything was pink flowers). I felt like I stepped back in time to the 80s. I found a condom wrapper behind the TV stand.

Not a pleasant stay. Someone should also tell the manager there that giving respect earns respect.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank Amanda D
Reviewed 17 July 2007

I got this hotel through Priceline for a one day trip to St Catharines. I now wish I had tried for the St Catharines Comfort Inn.
The staff was snotty to me during check in. I was informed the hotel was sold out I guess to head off any requests for a new room.
The free Wi-Fi worked intermittently. When I went looking for a possible cable connection, I found instead a dusty pile of used fast food wrappers behind the dresser.
There was something black around the shower drain and there was very low water pressure.
The breakfast consisted of dry creals, two loaves of sliced bread, and a couple of bags of bagels.
There was no free paper as advertised.
Welland is not near much of anything. Stay in St Catharines instead where there are wineries and many more restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business