“Should not be in the hotel business!!”
Review of Canal Inn

Canal Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Welland
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The owners and managers of this hotel should not be in this industry! Their lack of caring shows as plain as day while you are a guest here. The rooms are nothing special, besides being smelly and dingy, they also contain garbage from previous guests. Maybe their maids don't know to look under and behind things, or maybe management don't enforce it, regardless the cleanliness is sub par. The breakfast is decent, unless you want a variety of juice. Don't bother asking because turns out they don't go shopping there (even though they talk about how close their location is to tonnes of shopping and amenities). But the absolute worst thing, that prompted me to write a review was the fact that when I ran out of toilet paper, I asked a maid for more, and was informed they did not have any more to give out!!!!!! excuse me, but no toilet paper!!!!! who is running this place?!?!? please explain to me how you let your hotel get like this!! I feel bad for anyone who pays to stay there, and for their staff. They all looked miserable, and I don't blame them. I would hate my life if I worked there and had to deal with this. Don't stay here, cause they definitely do not want your business.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Corporate G
Hotel M, Manager at Canal Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback here at TripAdvisor. I am terribly sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. We are currently undergoing renovations and a deep cleaning of the entire hotel. I hope you would give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations during your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Canal Inn

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Our family stayed for one night; located for visiting friends in Welland.Friendly people at check-in. Room was as quiet and clean. Loved that we had patio door access for our two dogs. Would stay again and recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Hotel M, Manager at Canal Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Good Morning Matthew, I just wanted to take a few minutes to personally thank you for your review here at TripAdvisor. It is always nice to hear such positive feedback. The patio door is always an advantage for our four legged guests. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

i took my family here to this motel cause its not a hotel its gross the first room we got smelled really bad my wife and kids got sick from the the smell of the room so i asked for another room it was a little bit better but the stains on the floor were something else this motel needs seriuos help the only good thing i can say is that the staff was really nice renevate this place please i also cant believe some people say good reviews on this motel this was my worst stay ill never return

Room Tip: stay away if you love yourself
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank surash n
Hotel M, Manager at Canal Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you Surash for your feedback here at TripAdvisor. I am terribly sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. We are currently undergoing renovations and a deep cleaning of the entire hotel. I hope you would give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations during your next visit. Wishing you a happy holiday.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Our hockey team booked a weekend stay here for a tournament. Montana at the front desk was VERY accommodating with regards to reserving rooms and working around our hockey schedule. The rooms were basic but very clean, beds were comfortable and the price couldn't be matched anywhere as well. Thank you.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kruppy1

Thank you Tom for your wonderful feedback here at TripAdvisor. It is always rewarding to know that we were able to provide our guest with a satisfactory stay. It is also nice to hear that Montana was able to accommodate you and your team, I will be sure to let her know. We look forward to seeing you again. Wishing you a wonderful holiday.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

The hotel is centrally located and close to all the restaurant, with in 5 minutes walking distance. We took a King; the room was nice with Keurig Coffee Machine and flat screen Tv. We enjoyed our stay. The bathroom was clean and the bedding was comfortable. I would come back to this hotel and recommend it to fellow family and friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Joseph L

Thank you Joseph for your wonderful feedback here at TripAdvisor. It is always rewarding to know that we were able to provide our guest with a satisfactory stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Wishing you a wonderful holiday.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed 2 nights for a dog show and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. there is a nice area with picnic tables out back to walk the dog and sit. The room was clean and quiet and the complimentary breakfast had all the necessities. The price was good and we would stay here again. The outside of the hotel could use more tidying up though but it was a busy weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MJandW
Hotel M, Manager at Canal Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for your wonderful feedback here at TripAdvisor. It is always rewarding to know that we were able to provide our guest with a satisfactory stay. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I am a road warrior. I road trip absolutely everywhere. I've stayed at hotels all across the Eastern seaboard and out to Dallas, TX. I've stayed in all manors of inns and hotels from Mom & Pops to expensive Hiltons.

This hotel was the WORST I've ever stayed in.

I used my Friends and Family benefit of Choice Hotels to book the hotel room. I got a really awesome rate on the room and it was hard to pass up (It was 1/3rd the cost of the downtown Comfort Inn to Niagara Falls, ON). So I went ahead and used it.

When I first entered the hotel hallway on the first floor it reeked of nasty cigarette smoke. Okay, fair enough. My friend and I went into the room (115) and were overwhelmed by the air. I've had rooms that were a bit musty from non-use, and figured I'd just turn on the vent and get the air circulated. We slept overnight and I woke up with the nastiest burn in the back of my throat, and my friend said I didn't sleep well the night before.

It was bad. Really bad. I'm *STILL* hacking up crap from staying in that room. Oh, and my clothes smell like cigarettes. Yes, I should have hightailed it out of that room the moment we walked in--but I was tired, it was late, and I had just completed a long 9 hour drive.

I did ask to be moved to another room for my 2nd night, and the front desk lady did change the room for us. It was a SLIGHT downgrade in the amenities, but the air quality was significantly better (It had a clear label on the door marking it as a non-smoking room).

The worst part? I had marked "non-smoking" on my room preference when I booked the hotel. So I'm not entirely sure why they placed us in what I later figured out to be a smoking room. It was horrendous. My throat burned for the entire next day. After sleeping overnight in the non-smoking room I felt significantly better.

No DVD players in the room, but they do have a Keurig machine with K-Cups available for use for both teas and coffees. The non-smoking room we got was much cleaner and nicer than the first room we had, so I'd avoid the first floor entirely and shoot for the 2nd floor.

The shampoo bottles did have adequate shampoo for use, and put out enough shampoo for 2 decent hair washes.

I'm not sure why they let the hotel get like this. They need to significantly cut down on the smoking rooms and get rid of the smoker smell on the first floor. It's bad. Really bad. The 2nd floor seemed like almost an entirely different hotel.

Room Tip: Go directly to the 2nd floor. Do not get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael C

Thank you Michael for your feedback here at TripAdvisor. I am terribly sorry for the inconveniences you endured during your stay with us. Although your assigned room was a non smoking room, the few smoking rooms we do have can sometimes affect the rest of the rooms on the first floor. We have started using a product to cut all smoke smell out. I am hoping this will eliminate any future concerns. I hope you would give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations during your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Welland
Best Western Plus Rose City Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#8 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Four Points by Sheraton St. Catharines Niagara Suites
The Peninsula Inn
The Peninsula Inn
#12 of 128 in Niagara Falls

Been to Canal Inn? Share your experiences!