“Sleeping in my car would have been prefferable”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Canal Inn

Canal Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Welland
Hartford, CT
“Sleeping in my car would have been prefferable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

The hotel was noisy and the staff at the hotel was no assistance. They seem to think that being unable to sleep because of slamming doors all night is okay. We booked a 3 night stay and after the first night, my husband went to the front desk to complain about the noise and state that we were planning on checking out early due to the commotion. The night manager was just concerned about not giving us our money back "because we booked through Priceline" and had no concern for our comfort. The second night was even worse and we checked out at 4:00 a.m. Again, we told the night clerk it was due to the noise and once again, no one was sent to check on the noise level. She was just concerned that she could not get the checkout to work because we were still supposed to be staying one more day (no way)!!

We would have had a better nights sleep parking at the end of the parking lot and sleeping in our car. If you are traveling, stay away from this hotel as you will not get enough sleep to continue on safely on your journey.

This was our worse hotel stay ever!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the noise
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank Lexie164

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Hartford, CT
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2007

This hotel was so noisy it was ridiculous! There were doors slamming all night and people talking outside of our door. We were unable to get anything other than fitful sleep the first night. We had booked for 3 nights and decided to try to give it one more night, otherwise we would check out early. In the early evening of the second night we called the desk clerk and explained about the noise problem and our intention to check out. She checked with the manager and said, since we booked through Priceline.com there would be no refunds even though they have a "100% satisfaction" policy posted. The second night was as bad, if not worse, than the first as far as noise. We tried checking out at 4:00 am and once again mentioned the noise problem. The clerk on duty was unable to check us out for some reason (probably because there was still a day left on our stay). After waiting over 1/2 hour she said we could leave and she would get it straightened out when the day shift came in. Luckily my husband was able to drive home, because If I had to, I was so overtired we probably would have had an accident. According to the manager, we are not entitled to any kind of refund because we did not "call to complain" while the noise was happening.

Avoid this "hotel" like the plague!!

• Liked — The bathroom was reasonably clean
  • Disliked — They were cramped and shabby
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lexie164

Travellers are raving about these Welland hotels

Ontario's Highlands, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2007

After reading the few negative comments for this hotel I decided to book for just one night. We have absolutely no complaints. Front office people were extremely friendly and very helpful with minor problems that we had. When we asked to stay more than one night they also agreed to match the very low rate that I had for my first night. I would recommend this hotel!
Joe

Stayed July 2007
Niagara Falls, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2007

The manager was mean. He talked down to me, and one of the housekeepers in front of me. The lady at the front desk (Amanda) had a cigarette while I waited for her to get my key. The breakfast was basically cereal and toast.

The room's decor was very outdated (everything was pink flowers). I felt like I stepped back in time to the 80s. I found a condom wrapper behind the TV stand.

Not a pleasant stay. Someone should also tell the manager there that giving respect earns respect.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank Amanda D
Branchport, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2007

I got this hotel through Priceline for a one day trip to St Catharines. I now wish I had tried for the St Catharines Comfort Inn.
The staff was snotty to me during check in. I was informed the hotel was sold out I guess to head off any requests for a new room.
The free Wi-Fi worked intermittently. When I went looking for a possible cable connection, I found instead a dusty pile of used fast food wrappers behind the dresser.
There was something black around the shower drain and there was very low water pressure.
The breakfast consisted of dry creals, two loaves of sliced bread, and a couple of bags of bagels.
There was no free paper as advertised.
Welland is not near much of anything. Stay in St Catharines instead where there are wineries and many more restaurants.

• Liked — Many businesses reachable by walking
  • Disliked — Too many to list
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank oldgoat1
Gatineau, QC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2007

I'd like to say first that I have stayed there quite a few times in the past and always had great service, clean & comfy room... now in July 2006 I was very disappointed. First, our room was on the first floor (ground level) and there was this musty smell that we couldn't get rid of in our room, even though we burnt candles. Our room had 2 double beds - both were outdated. By outdated I mean we had the springs coming out on our back, the beds were "crooked" and I don't think our room was vaccuumed every day. I'm sorry but when you travel with a toddler, you want your room to be spotless!
Breakfast was ok - toasts, bagels, cereals, juices, coffee but the room the breakfast was in was a bit small.
I don't think we'll stay there again. Was too disappointed last time. Sad when you think about it 'cause it was close to the Falls, and it wasn't very expensive. Lots of restaurants and stores around the hotel.

• Liked — that it was right in front of the restaurant M-T Bellies
  • Disliked — the musty smell in our room!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank melanielacombe
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2007

I am always surprised by the polar-opposite opinions that people leave on here. I stayed at this hotel on February 4-5, 2007 and thoroughly enjoyed the visit. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Location - Yes, this hotel is a bit remote. From the front door of the hotel to the intersection of Stanley and Ferry Streets in Niagara Falls is 12.2 miles. The drive takes a little more than 15 minutes. Once you have driven the route, it is very simple.

2. Clean - My room and the rest of the hotel were spotless. My room was very large and had a very comfortable queen-size bed. There also was a fold-out couch with a large bed. The bathroom was very clean too. I am pretty sure that the sink and other fixtures were brand new.

3. Breakfast - There is a free continental breakfast in a little breakfast room off of the lobby. Everything was clean and presentable. There is not a whole lot to talk about. There are bagels, coffee, orange juice, and cold cereal. Very simple and filling.

4. Security - My only problem with the hotel is that the back door is wide open. There is a card reader next to the back door that can be bypassed. Simply open the door, no card necessary. Since this is a two story hotel (typical Comfort Inn), with poor lighting in the back of the building, anyone can walk into hotel any time of day.

All in all, I had a very nice stay for a very low price (Travelocity: $44.00). I will stay here again.

• Liked — Clean room and a great value.
  • Disliked — The back door to the hotel is unlocked 24 hours per day.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tbralliar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Welland
BEST WESTERN PLUS Rose City Suites
Four Points by Sheraton St. Catharines Niagara Suites
The Peninsula Inn
The Peninsula Inn
#15 of 129 in Niagara Falls
BEST WESTERN PLUS Cairn Croft Hotel
At Home Bed & Breakfast - Rose Manor
Residence & Conference Centre - Welland at Niagara College

Been to Canal Inn? Share your experiences!