“good value for the price - good food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese, American, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Ottawa
“good value for the price - good food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

We spent the weekend at a hotel in Welland, and found this restaurant not too far from it.

As far as buffets go, the variety was average for the price range. They food was good, replenished several times over the course of our meal.

Our waitress was attentive and even brought out a slice of cake with a candle for our daughter's birthday.

We would go back again the next time that we visit Welland.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Niagara Falls, Canada
“Chinese cuisine a la "diarrhea"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was a regular here for years. The past three years it has been going downhill! This was the WORST and LAST TIME! Dining room floors were a MESS! I saw a waiter bring dishwasher rack with clean water glasses, remove those glasses and put them upside down on the dirty floor behind the counter. YUCK! Service was AWFUL ahd the waiter had major ATTITUDE! He told me not to go for food more than once?? REALLY?? Since WHEN? I ignored him and he came after me when I went a second time. What did he expect for the small plates and high price! The food was AWFUL, hot food and cold food were all room temperature. I should have stopped eating right away. After going to bed, I felt sick, got up and had diarrhea. Goodbye Red Rice!.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Sheumais
Crystal Beach, Canada
“Will never go back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

When we first moved to the area we tried this buffet and found it to be okay for the price.
Then we started to notice they were having more and more 'off' nights, where the food was not FRESH. The place is not all that clean, including the washrooms. The glass of water taste 'sewer-like" . I know there is no way it can be compared to The Mandarin in Niagara Falls and we don't expect it to be. But it should try a little harder to make sure the food is fresh. One other thing and this might be TMI, but hubby and I both had diarrhea the last time we were there, so we haven't been back and have no intention of doing so.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank RandP1970
Welland
“Try again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

The first time I tried Red Rice Buffet, I wasn't too impressed - however if was the end of lunch time. I decided to give them another try and was pleasantly surprised. I then went the third time for dinner and decided that I was really enjoying my meal. The items were very tasty and the vegetables fresh, not overcooked. I'm giving them a better rating. I think timing is important. It's a good idea to come early so that the food is just newly prepared. It makes a difference for sure. I received excellent service - the female server was prompt and always doing her best to accommodate. She was very pleasant. I don't understand the comment about false friendliness. These people are trying to survive with a business and probably major overhead. It's easy to understand that the manager may be tense when business is suffering. As a community I think we should try to help out our local merchants and making positive criticism is not such a bad thing. If something bugs you, then let then know. I plan to return. I was hungry after shopping last evening and enjoyed filling up with their yummy dishes. Soup was great for a chilly night. Don't give up on them. Buffet may not match the Mandarin but why should it. Enjoy what they have to offer - pricing is good too.
An experienced kitchen witch!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Niagara Falls, New York
“Phoney Pretense Of Caring About Customers - Mediocre Value”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

This place is a mediocre buffet with an attitude. The mediocre food part isn't so bad. Chinese buffets can be overpriced in some places. This one is not so expensive. The impression the operators of this establishment conveyed to me and the missus is that they care exclusively about the immediate Dollar TODAY, the day we were there. Any thoughts of repeat business were clearly beyond the operator's ability to fathom or care about. We have been there before and attempted to pretend that the (indicative) lacking cleanliness and poor repair in the washrooms did not spread to their food preparation. A roll of the (health) dice for a quick meal. The last time we went there, it was close to the time where they switch over from lunch pricing to dinner pricing. It was self-evident, that the difference between lunch food and dinner food was pretty much the price, although the primitive pretense on the part of the operators of this place (relying on customer ignorance and sub standard customer IQ, ranging somewhere between bovine and amoebas at the very most) was that the food was different between lunch and dinner. So when we got there, the frowning waiter informed us that we HAD TO AGREE ahead of time (before entering) that we would only do ONE TRIP to the hot food, gather all we wanted and not return to the hot food area of the buffet. We presumed that he meant the hot food area he pointed to, because despite how annoying and primitive we thought he must have judged us to be, it would be a bit of a stretch to think that even morons like us would catch on that the salad bar part of the buffet was identical, regardless of whether it was lunch or dinner. We figured we could get all the hot stuff in one trip and come back for the salad bar. While we ate the hot stuff, which was no big deal, basically the same greasy, salty, primitive Chinese food you might get in a food court at the mall, was being replenished, not replaced, and nothing was done to the salad bar. When we returned for some salad, which had CLEARLY not been changed during the Switch from lunch to dinner, we were quickly intercepted with contempt and frowns. He repeated that he had TOLD us one trip only. Needless to say, if anything had to be communicated that disagreed with him, the inglese wasn't quite sufficient for comprehension, but the expression of contempt and outright pity for our extreme lack of intelligence and inability to forrow a simpa instrucshohn came across in the man's demeanour, as did our audacity to perhaps have a response, which was met with his turning away from us. When we finished, our nemesis was seated with his colleagues having his meal. We thought about saying something but decided against this because who needs the BS? Instead, we have never returned - and we never will nor anyone else in our family.

• Visited November 2012