“Slow, but good food”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Union City, New Jersey, United States
“Slow, but good food”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Pricey and somewhat slow service, though the amazing meals are worth a stop. We first tried to get in on the dmfamous tapas Tuesday, but were not able to without a reservation. We returned the following night for the normal menu. The boar patee was very good, especially with the incredible sourdough bread. The mussels were also good, though somewhat small individually and the fries they came with were more of a standout. The local craft beer they feature was also very good and had some excellent varieties. The cottage pie was also excellent and I loved the free bowl of bacon they offer on the side, it went very well with the heavy pie. The mini donuts were also excellent and I loved the ice cream. The prices were on the high side for the area though it is a very upscale locale. Also, service was pretty slow with sizeable waits for the drinks, appetizers, and main courses.

Visited February 2014

St. John's, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“over priced for mediocre food, and very poor service.”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Went last night with a group of friends for a celebration. I arrived 30 minutes later than the other guests, who already had their drinks and apps. No one offered to take my coat at the door, and I waited at the table for almost 10 minutes before our server offered me a drink. I felt as though I was an inconvenience to him for arriving late, and I felt that I received very poor service. He was not attentive to our table.

The server informed us that he was "unable to split bills for tables over 8, because they didn't have an up to date computer system". He offered us 1 bill at the end of dinner, stood at the end of the table watching us as we tried to figure out what each person ordered and how much we all owed (the bill was well over $400). Some of us paid debit, some paid cash, and the server stood at the table yelling "okay I now have $75 debit, plus $30 cash, plus (etc) for a total of $350 - I'm $50 short, who still has to pay?". It was one of the most UNCOMFORTABLE experiences of my life. We left feeling like a circus act, when the night was supposed to be an enjoyable celebration for a friend.

Lastly, The food was mediocre at best, for the price on the menu.

I was very disappointed with my experience.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank sLeeBoyd
“wow!”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

went last night for my birthday with 3 friends to enjoy the tapas. i had high hopes because uptown21 is my favorite and everything is always perfec! and the tapas exceeded my expectations. had a few favs along the way..but we all agreed the broasted chicken, the roasted cauliflower w/ truffle oil & the mussles were our fav!
thanx once again for a wonderful dining experience uptown!

side note: anyone looking into going it cost me $62 just for me.. so next time maybe ill skip that 2nd drink lol. also we started our tapas around 7 and didnt finish until 9:30 so plan for alot of time.

• Visited November 2013
Waterloo, Canada
“Tuesday Tapas - must try”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We went out to try tapas for the first time at Uptown 21. We made a late reservation, but were accommodated at the bar.

The food was excellent. They addressed my wife's preferences(ie. no mushrooms) without a question. The courses kept coming and coming until we were in belt-loosening territory.

All in all, another very good experience at a local gem who values high quality local ingredients and a funky cool atmosphere.

• Visited October 2013
Waterloo, Canada
“Just went for a drink and had a great experience!”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Had gone for dinner and were just looking for a place to have nightcap. Were meet with a great smile by Bar Person who was delightful. The staff was freindly, engaging and made us feel weclome even though we were just having a drink. When they found out we were celebrating our anniversary we were brought a dessert to share. That is what I call attention to the customer! The atmosphere was upbeat and the staff really seem to enjoy being there. It was a very postive and upbeat vibe in the place.Will return for a meal very soon! Thanks for making our evening special. An unexpected surprise; thank you

• Visited October 2013