“Cozy dining room, innovative menu” 4 of 5 bubbles

Nick & Nat's Uptown21
Ranked #23 of 361 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: Canadian, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
“Cozy dining room, innovative menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at Nick & Nat's. I've been told the menu changes frequently so I won't mention specific menu items, but we each had an app and a main and wine. The menu is small but has a decent variety, and the wine list is not huge, but adequate. There were some flavor combinations in my wife's meal that weren't to her taste. They were prepared well, but just not her favorite ingredients. My starter and main were very good. The service was very good but not exceptional. It was a Friday evening, with a 2/3 full house, so I thought maybe the server could have been a little more attentive, but she was pretty good. The atmosphere was cozy, small tables close together, but hard surfaces made it a little load. Maybe I'm just becoming an old fuddy duddy.

• Visited August 2014

Hamilton, Canada
“Tapas Tuesday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I attended Tapas Tuesday at Uptown 21 with 3 other friends (2 who had previously been there and highly recommended the tapas experience!). We had an outstanding time! Our meal lasted 3 hours and in total we sampled 26 dishes!

To begin, we ordered cocktails - I had the smoked blueberry margarita (interesting and well made, but not an "easy drinking" cocktail) and my hubby had a caipirinha (a little more bitter than he would have liked). But all in all tasty.

Then courses were brought our family style - bowls of food to share (like salads) or platters of food with one bite per person (like fritters). All courses were good, but some were outstanding! A few items were more simple, but all were well prepared. The flavour combinations of some items fell a little flat, but others soared! That's the fun of tapas!

The servers bring out savory tapas every few minutes until you're ready for dessert then desserts come! We didn't repeat any dishes, but the servers let us know when we'd gone through the whole menu! Here's the lineup:

Ripe tomatoes with a little herb oil and some delicious local cheddar,
warm olives and preserved lemon with crusty garlic baguette, trio of salads - cucumber vinaigrette/creamy potato/apple cabbage, house made pickled veggies, honey fried chicken, grilled peppers, kale and parmesan flatbread, garlic grilled green beans, sourdough toast with mushroom duxelle, asian spiced pork and beef with fresh peas, poutine with beef jus and cheese curds, cornmeal fried lake fish with soy aioli, butter roasted radishes, jerk grilled zucchini, zucchini and blue cheese fritters, pasta salad, fried eggplant, prosciutto with fried bread and tomato coulis, friend bread with bacon and brussel sprouts, warm chocolate stout cake, strawberry rhubarb bread pudding, tiny creme fraiche ice cream cone, creme caramel squares, mixed berry tart, whipped creme with blueberries/honey/mint.

There's no way we could have conquered so many dishes

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank suffragettecitygirl
Kitchener, Canada
“Best food in town.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I travel all over North America on a regular basis and eat at lots of upscale restaurants. This is some of the best food I have ever had, I can not recommend it enough.

• Visited August 2013
Waterloo, Canada
“One of our favourites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a great restaurant with great food and pleasant people. We've been many times and have never been disappointed. Their tapas night- all you can eat is a treat. Unusual food, plenty of it and always unusual and excellent.

• Visited February 2014
Waterloo, Canada
“Service poor, food average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Too long between courses. We were ignored during much of our meal. Food was pretty average.... won't be back.

• Visited March 2014