“Good for business stays” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs

Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Waterloo
Thun, Switzerland
“Good for business stays”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

This hotel is good. I stayed there for professional reasons during a conference I attended in Waterlooo Ontario; it is out of the city. A bus shuttle was put in place by conference organisers, which ensured connection with Waterloo, otherwise a car would have been definetely needed. The hotel is good, has free wifi and a small cafeteria open all time for fresh coffee of tea; it represents the good standard of a business hotel without any special "personality". There is a small old-fashioned mall just infront (not worthed to be visited). What is interesting to visit is a menonit farm nearby, and for running in the morning there is a small beautiful forest full of maple trees and rabbits. For business purposes this place is good but I would definetely not recommend it for a holiday stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Teresa G, Manager at Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thanks so much for your kind words. We're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and are happy to hear that you enjoyed many of our amenities. If you are staying with us again we highly recommend that you visit the St. Jacobs Famers Market, which is open Thursdays and Saturdays.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

This hotel isn't ready for prime time yet. When I checked in, we found out my colleague was bumped to another property due to a maintenance issue. That was a major issue for us, as we were sharing a car. The property is quite nice and either recently built or renovated. The WiFi is free and connection speeds are reasonable. The "bistro" is awful. It offers reheated convenience store food (and that's generous), if it's even available. I tried to order three different things listed on the menu and none were available. I settled for the "Buffalo Chicken Flatbread" which is really a reheated tortilla with a soggy Dorito and a squirt of buffalo sauce and some gummy, plastic ranch dressing. Gross. At least they had a local (bottled) beer that was pretty good. The staff was pretty ambivalent about guests, if they were even around. Three different times I waited at the front desk for an employee to materialize. One time they didn't at all so I gave up. The restaurant staff was extremely inattentive. I also tried to have someone call me and the "do not disturb" was somehow activated on my room phone. The brightest spot was actually when Cory came up from the front desk to help. She wasn't able to fix the phone, but she told me to make my call and they would remove any related charges prior to checking out. She was so kind and fantastic - she almost made up for all of the other lapses mentioned. I love Marriott and most of the new Courtyards, but I will definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nicoleodeon
Teresa G, Manager at Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience at the Courtyard by Marriott Waterloo St. Jacobs. I appreciate your comments because feedback is essential in providing a superior guest experience every time.

Let me first begin by apologizing for the difficulty you experienced because your colleague was relocated. Relocating guests is something that we avoid at all costs but unfortunately due to forces beyond our control it has happened. In these cases we provide transportation for the guest and make any arrangements to minimize inconvenience. Had we been aware of the inconvenience we would have been happy to transport you to your colleague's hotel or work with you to find another solution.

I am sorry if you felt that associates were ambivalent. We pride ourselves on providing a great guest experience every time and comments from guests are overwhelming positive such as your comments regarding Corrie. With the open concept lobby and Bistro we do encourage associates to mingle in the lobby and interact with guests. Sometimes they are away from the desk briefly while in the Bistro, business centre or other area of the lobby.

It is our goal to have a positive experience for every guest and to resolve any issues before a guest has departed. I am sorry that we were unable to address the issues while you were here. It would be greatly appreciated if you would allow us another opportunity to show you our hospitality. Please get in touch with me at the hotel so that I can arrange for you to stay again as our guest. Thank you again for the review.
Digby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

We visited St. Jacob's for the Home Hardware Fall Market last week and stayed at the Courtyard Marriott. We had an excellent experience here and would not hesitate to return. The hotel has been nicely redecorated in a modern style since it has changed from Best Western. We got superb service at the front desk as one of the young ladies there even came up to our room personally to see if she could get the tv/remotes working. There was an actual problem that couldn't be quickly fixed, but when we returned from dinner, they had solved the problem and everything was working properly. They treated us Home Hardware dealers with treats and special events in the downstairs "bistro" area. Thanks again - great visit. I would only suggest they serve some type of complimentary breakfast foods.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Teresa G, Manager at Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Thanks so much for your review. We're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and appreciate the recognition you gave to our outstanding staff. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to St. Jacobs.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

I was back again and my company booked me back to this hotel
They remembered me from last time and upgraded me to a room with a fireplace
I loved it
The staff again were very good.

I was sad to see that the Farmers market down the road had burned down. Hopefully they will rebuild it again

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a fireplace. Its very soothing to watch TV and have a real fireplace
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Teresa G, Manager at Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thanks so much for your kind words. We’re thrilled that you continue to stay with us and that our hard-working staff is so appreciated.

And thanks for your words of sympathy about the St. Jacobs Market. Not to worry, as the vendors have been relocated and the market is open once again, and the building will be rebuilt.

All the best, and we hope to see you again soon.
Aurora, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in late April at the Marriott Courtside Niagara Falls on a Friday-Saturday night and paid a lot less than this property charged us for 2 nights Wednesday-Thursday mid-week. There is no pool and their Bistro food fare is provided at ridiculous $$rates$$. It is a nice property and is well maintained. The staff were very pleasant. The rooms are awkwardly laid out (it was a Best Western) but the newer furnishings work well. You would think since it is 2013 that someone could build a room door that closes quietly and securely. The slamming doors and loud air conditioners were an annoyance. Nearby there us a new Holiday Inn Express that just opened and offers nightly cheaper rates and also provides an indoor pool. A much better value. We wish we had known. There is also a Homewood Suites being buijit directly accross the road from the Courtyard Marriott. Perhaps the competition will persuade the Courtyard to provide more reasonable rates. We had a wonderful visit to this great community of St. Jacobs.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank siestaman
Thank you very much for your review, and especially for your compliments about the staff. We appreciate all of the feedback that you have provided as it is very helpful in identifying areas where we can improve.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel last week and its the one of the best courtyards I have stayed at.
The room was great, Staff service was exceptional. The gym was a funky color but I liked it

Well Done Marriott

Room Tip: All rooms are on the large side
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and are thrilled to hear our staff called "exceptional". We hope to see you again soon.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Overall this hotel is excellent. Upon arrival you will see that the grounds are well manicured, the guest areas (lobby, restaurant, room) are very clean, well-kept and cared for. The staff is well trained. Very friendly and helpful on arrival and check-out, restaurant staff are polite and looking to provide good service. Even the little touch from the hospitality staff was appreciated - when leaving my room a housekeeping staff was waiting for the elevator with her cart, when the lift came she insisted I take it first so I didn't "have to ride with her cart" - nice.

You might ask if you're beside a hot-tub suite. Next to my suite the hot-tub was used several times in the evening and again early in the morning - and the throbbing from the jets did get quite annoying. Two suggested items missing from the room - a disposable shoe buffing cloth and some information about the area.

The meals in dining area were ok. Nice to offer hors d'oeuvre but they were not very good, and the pizza I had for dinner tasted like an overcooked, dry piece of cardboard - even though the service staff said "everyone who has it loves it" - no chance. I did tell the service staff it wasn't good and got an "okay, thanks". My sense is that food is prepackaged and just heated.

All that said, the staff were very friendly on arrival/check-in/check-out, the hotel was immaculate, my room was in very good condition. Overall I give this hotel a 8.5/10 - the overall food lost one point, and the other .5 as there was no in-room information about the area (i.e. it's right beside the St. Jacob's market).

Had a beautiful guest try to hitch a ride home with me in the morning - see photo. N.B. I did properly release him (her?) back to where he (she?) belonged.

Room Tip: Top floor fronting Benjamin Road is better than facing Weber Street as cars like to race that road a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
William M, General Manager at Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs, responded to this review, 28 February 2015
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear it was an enjoyable one!

While there are numerous hotels in the area to choose from we thank you for choosing ours to stay at. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the Waterloo/ St. Jacobs area!

William MacCallum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterloo
Delta Hotels Waterloo
#2 of 9 in Waterloo
City Commercial Core
Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo

Been to Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs? Share your experiences!