“Hotel great, Bistro not so much”

Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Waterloo
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Great location, next to St Jacob Theatre. Hotel is clean, and modern. Front desk were very friendly, helpful and efficient. Rooms were well appointed, but the AC/heating system was noisy.

The Bistro staff could use some customer service training. They were uninterested and not the least bit friendly. On 2 occasions, I waited at the counter for service, then finally went to the “staff only” door to the kitchen to alert them that there were customers waiting. Very unapologetic, and reluctantly took orders.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shipsortrips
Teresa G, Manager at Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you very much for your review. We are always striving to do better and your feedback helps us to do just that. We're glad to hear that your stay with us was overall a positive one, but were sorry to hear about your experience with the Bistro. Please be assured that your comments will be shared with our Food and Beverage team.

Hopefully we will see you again on your next visit to the area, and the team at the Bistro will have an opportunity to redeem themselves.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

What a great place! Clean, modern, and the service was top notch.

Everyone was super nice and friendly. The cleanliness of the rooms and common areas was the best I have seen. The beds were first rate, comfortable, and had sheets with high thread counts.

Starbucks' coffee available in the cafe for a good price. Food was a little high priced for the quality, but it is a hotel!. Evenings (5-7) including a free appetizer. Nice place to unwind and work!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Sawdogs
Teresa G, Manager at Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review. We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and are especially pleased that you singled out our wonderful and hardworking staff. We take great pride in our service, so your recognition means a lot to us. Hopefully we'll see you again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was my second trip to Waterloo in 2 years. I chose the Courtyard because it was close to my meeting. I was pleased with the quality and cleanliness.

I are in the bistro twice. The food was fair, service was good. It was convenient and better than searching for a restaurant.

I will be staying here for my next trip.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank LTBenny
Teresa G, Manager at Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

We're so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We love this region, and are happy to hear that we helped you enjoy it while you were here for your meetings. Thanks so much for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The place is situated within reach of any places of interest in Waterloo.

If you love Starbucks the coffee is available at the cafeteria in ground floor.

Stayed here for three days for a business trip.

Cleanliness is average
Food is average
Over all accommodation it was good

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Teresa G, Manager at Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thanks so much for staying with us and providing your feedback. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and pinpointed some areas in which this is room for improvement. We strive for excellence and it's comments like yours that help make that happen.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have started staying at Courtyards on my North American trips and this is the nicest one yet! The front desk staff is very nice. I was upgraded to whirlpool room and was so happy to have it the first night! The layout of the room was very good, as usual; and the fireplace was a nice touch. I slept very soundly on the bed and always felt comfortable when I was there. Guilia was very friendly and nice to talk to at the Bistro bar. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying int he area and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Teresa G, Manager at Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you so much for the kind words. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and are especially pleased to hear about your interactions with our staff. We pride ourselves on providing a great guest experience every time, so reviews like yours mean a lot to us. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the St Jacobs/Waterloo area.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

This hotel is good. I stayed there for professional reasons during a conference I attended in Waterlooo Ontario; it is out of the city. A bus shuttle was put in place by conference organisers, which ensured connection with Waterloo, otherwise a car would have been definetely needed. The hotel is good, has free wifi and a small cafeteria open all time for fresh coffee of tea; it represents the good standard of a business hotel without any special "personality". There is a small old-fashioned mall just infront (not worthed to be visited). What is interesting to visit is a menonit farm nearby, and for running in the morning there is a small beautiful forest full of maple trees and rabbits. For business purposes this place is good but I would definetely not recommend it for a holiday stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Teresa G, Manager at Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thanks so much for your kind words. We're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and are happy to hear that you enjoyed many of our amenities. If you are staying with us again we highly recommend that you visit the St. Jacobs Famers Market, which is open Thursdays and Saturdays.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

This hotel isn't ready for prime time yet. When I checked in, we found out my colleague was bumped to another property due to a maintenance issue. That was a major issue for us, as we were sharing a car. The property is quite nice and either recently built or renovated. The WiFi is free and connection speeds are reasonable. The "bistro" is awful. It offers reheated convenience store food (and that's generous), if it's even available. I tried to order three different things listed on the menu and none were available. I settled for the "Buffalo Chicken Flatbread" which is really a reheated tortilla with a soggy Dorito and a squirt of buffalo sauce and some gummy, plastic ranch dressing. Gross. At least they had a local (bottled) beer that was pretty good. The staff was pretty ambivalent about guests, if they were even around. Three different times I waited at the front desk for an employee to materialize. One time they didn't at all so I gave up. The restaurant staff was extremely inattentive. I also tried to have someone call me and the "do not disturb" was somehow activated on my room phone. The brightest spot was actually when Cory came up from the front desk to help. She wasn't able to fix the phone, but she told me to make my call and they would remove any related charges prior to checking out. She was so kind and fantastic - she almost made up for all of the other lapses mentioned. I love Marriott and most of the new Courtyards, but I will definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Nicoleodeon
Teresa G, Manager at Courtyard Waterloo St. Jacobs, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience at the Courtyard by Marriott Waterloo St. Jacobs. I appreciate your comments because feedback is essential in providing a superior guest experience every time.

Let me first begin by apologizing for the difficulty you experienced because your colleague was relocated. Relocating guests is something that we avoid at all costs but unfortunately due to forces beyond our control it has happened. In these cases we provide transportation for the guest and make any arrangements to minimize inconvenience. Had we been aware of the inconvenience we would have been happy to transport you to your colleague's hotel or work with you to find another solution.

I am sorry if you felt that associates were ambivalent. We pride ourselves on providing a great guest experience every time and comments from guests are overwhelming positive such as your comments regarding Corrie. With the open concept lobby and Bistro we do encourage associates to mingle in the lobby and interact with guests. Sometimes they are away from the desk briefly while in the Bistro, business centre or other area of the lobby.

It is our goal to have a positive experience for every guest and to resolve any issues before a guest has departed. I am sorry that we were unable to address the issues while you were here. It would be greatly appreciated if you would allow us another opportunity to show you our hospitality. Please get in touch with me at the hotel so that I can arrange for you to stay again as our guest. Thank you again for the review.