“Seems like a hotel in transition, but more good than bad”

Four Points by Sheraton Waterloo-Kitchener
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Waterloo
HAMILTON
“Seems like a hotel in transition, but more good than bad”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

The first thing I noticed as I entered my originally assigned room was that the ventilation system was not on. It turned out that it was not working so I was moved to another room across the hall and even further from the lobby. The good news was that even though I was on the ground floor it was quiet. Through all of this the gentleman at the front desk did everything he could to place me in a suitable room. I was impressed.

The beds and bedding were of the usual excellent Sheraton standard. There are sufficient outlets for charging and working and although the room was on the small side there was a fridge and microwave.

The in house breakfast was better than most buffets offering scrambled eggs, potatoes, fresh fruit, etc. To make a long story short I was promised that breakfast would be ready at 6 AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I was there but breakfast was not ready until 6:30 each day which was a bit inconvenient.

The hotel was totally full Friday and Saturday nights. As a result they did not have enough parking spots on site. They did make arrangements for us to park across the road at the Honda dealership. What I don't understand is why they didn't tell us at check in. Yet another inconvenience. Hopefully they'll get the kinks worked out before I stay there again.

Room Tip: I was in 137 which faced the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank haz7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Hong Kong
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Conveniently located near the university area. Standard sized room with modern design and traditional furniture with 1 sofa bed, chair and 2 bedside tables with stools. Shower could be stronger. Amenity supply in wall mounted dispenser. Air conditioning unit was a bit loud when “ ON” but room was stuffy when machine was idle. Thin door as can hear every word and action outside the room. Location of our room was inconvenient for luggage (especially heavy ones) as after taking lift to 2nd floor, we had to change to another corridor by going through 2 exit doors with a few steps in between in order to reach our room.

Room Tip: Request rooms that can be directly accessible by lift.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I would like to congratulate Samantha and her team for making us feel welcome to their hotel. There was a problem from our side which Samantha dealt with extremely professionally and saved us money. So thanks.
The room was clean and tidy and we were introduced to a new system, well it was to us, if you looked after your room i.e. made your own bed, you received a Cad $5 ticket each night which you could use to reduce the cost of breakfast or an evening meal. Good idea.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel's former incarnation, The Destination Inn, many times. This was our first time in it since it became Four Points. We were very impressed with the renovations and improvements that have been done. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were great. Friendly and helpful staff as always in the past. Room was clean and attractive. The one disappointment was the quality of the breakfast. A full breakfast was included in our reservation, so we could have anything from the buffet. The eggs were OK, potatoes ordinary at best, French toast adequate (I had the last piece in the warmer, so it might have been a bit old), bacon tasted of the sausage that was right beside and touching it in the warmer, and the sausages were closer to wieners. The addition of breakfast was only $10 in total for 2 of us, so I guess we can't complain too much, but it is too bad it wasn't up to the quality of the rest of our stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MEBJHB
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The property is old but reimbursement and well maintained, room is clean and excellence service provided.
Location is very good, around ten minute drive to St. Jacob Ville and cross of Canastoga Mall Waterloo.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AlbertSiauw
Collingwood, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Booked this room using Starwood points, I sent the hotel an email enquiring about upgrading to a deluxe room but there was no response. Upon checking in I mentioned this to the front desk and the clerk noted I was already upgraded. Really nice to see and check in was very pleasant. Clerk indicated we were placed on top floor since rest of the hotel was filled with families in town for a ball hockey tournament, Really appreciated that. The lone elevator was busy because of the kids but that's to be expected. Room was not clean - long black hair was plastered on the walls of the shower; evident in the sink and also the floor area by the sink. The remote had enough food stuck to the back of it that you could have made a peanut butter sandwich, The closet (at least I think that's what it was) could not be opened. However, the a/c worked fine and bed was fine.
Major problem was with the bill. I asked for it to be emails. Usually at Starwood properties you receive the bill before you check out. Not in this case. And when it did come, there was a strange, unexplained room charge on it. I called the hotel which said the charge was legitimate (but did not say for what it was). Also contacted Starwood HQ. Two staff handled the case and the charges were finally reversed with the an apology and some points. This has taken nearly a month. I still have not heard why the accountant at the hotel (Catherine) claimed these charges were legitimate....but I've given up. I cannot get any kind of answer from Starwood. AT least we saw all sorts of other nice places to stay in the area when we trying to find this hotel. Just to add to the fun, there were kids booked on the floor we were on. Loud kids.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank WayneinCollingwood
BritHoPH, Online Content Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Waterloo-Kitchener, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hello WayneinCollingwood,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience working with our hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you had some issues in your recent experience with us. I would value the opportunity to speak with you regarding the issues you encountered so that I can resolve them to your satisfaction & hopefully get the opportunity to host you again.

Please feel free to contact me directly at brittany@palm-holdings.com and I will look into your incident further.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Brittany Ho
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Many hotels talk about "going beyond expectations" and "delighting the customer", but I have to praise this hotel and Andrea, who is a Guest Service Representative at the hotel.
I forgot my tan summer suit in the closet of my room and Andrea called me about an hour after I had checked out. It was too late for me to return and pick it up, so I asked them if they could send it out at my expense through a courier service. They said no problem... Andrea then e-mailed me to confirm she had sent out the suit via courier and even told me which courier company it was as well as the approximate cost.
Anyway, I'm totally impressed with this level of service. Most hotels would have just bagged it and waited for me to call them in a panic. And wouldn't offer to ship it out either.
And the stay at the hotel was very pleasant. The location was very central for my meetings and the hotel upgraded me to a suite because of my lifetime Gold status. Anyway, this hotel has rapidly become one of my favourites.
Thank you Andrea. You deserve a promotion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sinner5
BritHoPH, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Waterloo-Kitchener, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hello Sinner5,

Thank you for your kind words! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and will pass your review on to Andrea as well.

I hope the next time you are in the Waterloo area you will allow us to host you again.

Brittany Ho