“A charming boutique hotel in Waterloo.”
Review of The Waterloo Hotel

The Waterloo Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Waterloo
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This historic hotel is full of charm and comfort. Built in 1890 it has been nicely restored. The rooms are individually different. Some are quite large with sitting areas and fire places. The ceilings are tall and the furnishings include some period antiques. Well situated in town near the university. The hotel gives you a voucher for breakfast at one of three nearby restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2012
WHIManagement, Manager at The Waterloo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

The Waterloo Hotel Takes pride in the uniqueness of each of the 15 suites we have to offer. Thank you for your positive feedback and taking the time to comment. We look forward to hosting you in the near future.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

Unfortunately I spent several days in this hotel and it was memorable for its lack of amenities and its ill-mannered staff. Be prepared to climb. There is no elevator and no one to help you with your bags. The windows in our room were permanently shut and the ventilation system is dreadful – we were either roasting or freezing – and we came down with respiratory infections during our stay. Some days our room was cleaned; some days it wasn't. It's rather pathetic when you have to gather up your own garbage and dirty towels and place them in front of your door in the hope that someone will notice. I can not emphasize enough the rudeness of the staff at the front desk. Seldom have I run into hotel staff who were so unhelpful and hostile. You receive one small bottle of water when the rooms are cleaned and since ours hadn't been cleaned in a couple of days I very politely asked the woman at the front desk for some water. As she turned her head away she actually sneered at me. All in all, staying at this hotel was a thoroughly unpleasant experience and one I would never repeat.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mary D

Management would like to formally apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at The Waterloo Hotel. We can assure you that we have since made necessary staffing changes to ensure this does not happen in the future. We appreciate your feedback, please contact management@thewaterloohotel.ca for your next stay with us.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

The hotel is going down hill, dirty dirty dirty, bad service and noisy.

Room Tip: Stay away from it
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Tomas H
WHIManagement, Manager at The Waterloo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Management would like to formally apologize for the inconvenience you experience during your stay at The Waterloo Hotel. We can assure you that we have since made necessary staffing changes to ensure this does not happen in the future. We appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

I stayed here mid-week for a conference and found it well situated with interesting antique features. The stairs get a bit tiring but the location is great for restaurants and a pleasant downtown. My only real suggestion is that I think they should have an arrangement with a local gym facility in the downtown.

Room Tip: Thee is no elevator or bellhop to carry your luggage so you need to climb a lot of stairs.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your suggestion of partnering with a gym facility. Your comments are important and help us understand our guest's needs. We look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

This hotel is a little gem. As previous reviewers have noted, it is an old hotel, with huge rooms and wondeful old furniture, no two rooms quite the same, redone but still far from tip top. Very well located for visits to local universities and research institutes. Weekend evenings, especially in summer, can get noisy on account of the restaurants and bars nearby, so asking for a quiet room does matter. If you don't mind creaking floors, noisy air conditioning and old (really old) furniture, then this is just the place because its charms are considerable. Front desk staff are very helpful. The one downside to note is that on account of a dispute between the hotel and the adjoining restaurant, breakfast vouchers are provided for three places within a five minute walk of the hotel. They are all very nice but this can be an inconvenience in bad weather. But overall, more power to places like this, warts and all. There aren't enough of them left, even in small towns.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, likely one along Erb Street rather than King Street.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank RPM59

Thank you for your positive feed back! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

This boutique hotel is a very comfortable option to the other big hotels in the K-W area. The rooms are spacious and very nicely decorated, with most of them having various themes. The beds are comfortable and the service is friendly. Breakfast is provided at a selection of nearby restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Huge_K

Thank you for your positive feedback! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to set ourselves apart from other hotels in the area with our unique Victorian feel and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 25 April 2011

I booked a reservation less than 48 hours in advance. I was fairly warned by the desk clerk that because the reservation was made in that time period that it was considered "firm". If I were to cancel, I would be "charged". I had no idea I would cancel, so I did not ask how much. Little did I realize she meant I would be charged the entire amount ($185) to cancel. When I called later begging to cancel, the clerk was less than sympathetic. She repeated twice, "I told you the reservation was firm". I responded, "But you did not indicate I would be charged the ENTIRE amount".

I thought maybe the word "firm" was a Canada thing, meaning you would be charged the entire amount, but it is not. If you book a flight on Porter Airlines, you can choose between "firm" and "flexible". Should you need to cancel a firm reservation, you pay a steeper cancellation fee, but NOT THE ENTIRE AMOUNT!

I find this practice to be extremely unfair. Stay at the hotel if you want. It's just o.k. and not worth the money in my opinion, but be aware of the cancellation policy.

Room Tip: Be careful when you book.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank coachbob99

The Waterloo Hotel is a 15 suite boutique hotel in Uptown Waterloo. Our cancellation policy is 48 hours prior to check in. We apologize if this was not fully explained to you at the time the reservation was made. We will ensure our staff are aware and are more detailed in their explanations in the future. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterloo
City Commercial Core
Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo

Been to The Waterloo Hotel? Share your experiences!