“Great Place!!!”
Review of Beertown

Beertown
Reserve with OpenTable
Beertown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 392 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: Gastropub, Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I went on Sat. night and sat at the outside patio. Service was fast and prompt.
Wide variety on menu. I had pork schnitzel with lemon pepper breaded with sour apple butter
and fresh cut russet fries for $16.99 which was delicious. There was so much I had enough
leftovers for another whole meal. My husband had Beertown Pad Thai which was rice noodles
with sweet & sour peanut sauce, fried egg, peppers with chicken for $15.99. He too had so much
took half home for another meal. He said his meal was very spicy but excellent in taste. We would go again. Most people seemed to be sitting outside on their outdoor patio.

1  Thank booking123
charcoalgroup, Guest Relations Manager at Beertown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback and such a positive review. We take a lot of pride in our menu at Beertown and it's great to hear you and your husband enjoyed everything.

Please join us again anytime!

Cheers.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The service is nice as is the atmosphere. I'm always disappointed by the food but everyone else who I go with seems to be fine with it. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man. Or they're robots. Either way, not great food.

David I am certain you are not a grumpy old man, nor are your friends robots. Perhaps we have just not yet found a dish that you love. Beertown and the Charcoal Group are dedicated to providing fresh, quality dishes that are locally sourced and house made. That is why we decided to bake our own bread and smoke our own bacon. If you are willing to give us another shot, please ask your server to recommend something great off our menu next time. We just launched a new seasonal menu that you might find interesting. Either way, please don’t hesitate to speak to one of our managers about your experiences as we are always thankful for the feedback.

Kirk Vines
kirkv@charcoalgroup.ca

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Restaurant was not overly busy (lots of empty tables), but service was very, very slow. Brought this to the attention of the hostess, who did not do make any attempt to assist our server or to rectify the situation.
Food was average on this visit. Our overall experience was totally overshadowed by our slow service and lack of attention (we were being served our main course with our appetizer dishes still in front of us)!!! Not up to Charcoal standards at all on this visit, expect better!! Staff should work together to assist others, even when it is not overly busy (hostess could help, as there were three of them)!!!

Hi there,

My sincerest apologies for your disappointing experience. I hope it was an oversight on our behalf, not one to be repeated. While we encourage our hosts to focus on greeting guests and making sure there is always a smiling face at the front door, I can understand why their lack of assistance would be irritating. We do strongly encourage team work with our staff and I cannot explain or excuse why your service took so long. My hope is that you will allow us a second chance to impress you and prove that we too can provide the top notch food and service you have come to expect from the Charcoal Group.

Please feel free to contact me personally if you'd like to talk about your experience further and how we can make it better next time. I'm the General Manager of the Beertown Waterloo location and my email is kirkv@charcoalgroup.ca

Thank you.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We were so excited to see this place opening as it looks so cool, but it has largely been a disappointment since then. Sure, its got a tonne of beers available, but they are expensive, as is the food (in terms of value anyway). The two meals I have had were lack luster, and left me hungry (steak salad for lunch, burger at dinner). The place is also very large, which makes it feel kinda cold, in-personal actually - a too manufactured feel. If you're looking for a more geniune pub, beer and good food experience, there are many other possibilities in that area (Heuther Hotel, Ethel's, the Duke, to name a few). I only go for beers now, and only if everyone else insists on going. The other restaurants in this chain are far superior: Bauer Kitchen and Wildcraft, where the food is filling and atmosphere casual. Not sure why this place is so much different, but I hear the turn-over rate is high for staff and management, which may be part of the problem.

charcoalgroup, General Manager at Beertown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Mr. Doherty:
I am sincerely disappointed to read about your impressions of Beertown. I do appreciate the comments and take them to heart.
I'd like to respond in person if at all possible. Amy (my Service Manager) mentioned seeing you here recently.
That being said, I’ve been with the Charcoal Group of Restaurants for 8 years now. I am very, very proud to be a part of what I think is the best restaurant group in the region.
Bauer Kitchen is my most favourite restaurant. It is where I take friends visiting from out-of-town (after I’ve taken them to Beertown first of courseJ )
The Executive Chef for Bauer and Wildcraft is the same Chef who drives the food program in Beertown as well. Our concept is now 2 years old and we’re ever-evolving. Since I was the one who opened this location I have been the one who has received the most feedback (either directly, through comment cards, or online like yourself). The feedback has been more than favourable. We revise our menu every 3-6 months to accommodate some of the comments received as well as dealing with changing market conditions.
I’m uncertain when it was you last ate here but I believe that our food program is now stronger than ever.
As for our beer program we try to offer a wide selection of crafted products that may or may not be easy to fine. I get regular complaints (or compliments depending on our perspective) about how Delirium is unavailable at the LCBO, or how Mort Subite supplies are inconsistent. We have local craft beers from Block 3 and Innocente that are only available if you go to their shop direct. We carry a large selection of off-menu beers by request. Trappist selections (which are always hard to source) and limited edition products like India White Ale from Spearhead (not readily available in any store) or Hawaiian Pale Ale (My favourite- the LCBO is starting to do a better job of stocking their products now though thanks in part, I think to the demand we’ve helped to create).
As far as pricing goes we certainly aren’t the cheapest. But neither is our selection. I like to have a drink or two myself at some local pubs, ones that may not be as dedicated to presenting a World Class facility to accompany their offerings. Slightly premium offerings like Stella (my preference since I find the selection in the area weak-Im looking forward McMullen’s return though. they had a great selection before the building partially collapsed) are quite in line with similar offerings here.
Three Stellas at two nearby pubs cost me around $20 before tax. three is usually my number so that’s how I remember. (and that’s not accounting for different sizes of “pints” in some cases)
three similar offerings here are about the same. Block 3 Saison (I would suggest is better than domestics) is $19 before tax. Our new “Brown Bag” Special is $4 per bottle. The variety is unreal.
As for turnover this comment intrigues me the most. Turnover is built into our industry for the most part. I see it everywhere. Even in the pubs you’ve mention. I have 27 bartenders or servers that have stayed with me since opening. Lots come and go and come back again. They like to travel, try other things, or they just need to focus on school. there are four returning this summer from Australia. There are two leaving for Australia. It’s the country of choice for the 20-somethings these days. Quite a number of my staff will leave when they graduate from university. Two just gave their notice for that very reason. Time to focus on the career that they went to school for. I've embraced the university student as a tremendous resource for Team Members. I’ve also had two Miss Oktoberfests work for me only to go on to career choices in their field. They come and they go but I believe it only benefits what I think is a very rich culture at Beertown.
I could go on but would rather meet and discuss. I do appreciate the comments. Food in particular can be fickle and we need to work tirelessly to win over our guests with our menu.
You can reach me at 226-338-4679 or kirkv@charcaolgroup.ca.

Kirk Vines (General Manager of Beertown Waterloo and modest shareholder at Beertown Cambridge and a passionate resident in the Waterloo Region)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The location of Beertown in Waterloo is quite good as it sits on the main square, so it's central and there is always something going on in the square that one may watch from Beertown's Patio. The atmosphere of Beertown is a mix of a (loud) lounge, sports bar and restaurant. But more expensive. They pride themselves with an extensive beer selection, but most of the selections are very easily attainable at the LCBO (sometimes the point of going to a bar is to get stuff you can't easily get at the LCBO). And, for this extensive beer selection they charge a pretty penny (think upwards of $10-12 for some). The food is mediocre at best - I've been here several times and always thought I'd give it another chance but was usually disappointed. Burgers were dry, salads drenched in dressing. Recently, the one thing that was ok was the warm spinach dip. I also had a pina collada at some point, and it was way too sugary, I couldn't finish it, even after adding water to it to make it less sweet. However, if you're looking for a lively, upbeat place to go out on a Fri/Sat evening, this is a good place. It's usually teeming with young people, and it's usually busy, even on a Tuesday. Service is good.