“Business Closed. Baton Rouge now in this location.”
Review of Alibaba Steakhouse - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Alibaba Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
waterloo, ON
“Business Closed. Baton Rouge now in this location.”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Was a good restaurant and historical site. Sad to see it close as it was an Uptown landmark.
this must be 50 characters

Visited September 2013

Waterloo
“Out of Business ,Now”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

no sense doing a review ,but they went down hill over the years.use to be a good place to eat ...but the food and service got poor.

1 Thank Anthony I
Waterloo, Canada
“It's been a while, but it was very good”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Any time I ate here the food was very good. It's one of your higher-end places and was quaint and private.

Kitchener
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst Dining Experience Ever!”
Reviewed 18 February 2009

I have never dined at this establishment before and I recall that they had a great reputation at some point but this was the WORST dining experience in my life! We called for reservations a week before dining. But when we got there, we got seated in the middle of a drafty room, way too close to the couple at the next table, despite the room being practically empty. The base of the table was the same size as the table top, and when my chair was pulled in, I either had to sit with my legs spread completely apart or feet resting on top of the base! The room was dark and my date could not even read the menu. Perhaps the spider crawling up her leg was a bit of a distraction. The waitress started us off with some water. I had a glass that looked like someone was already drinking out of it but I was assurred that it was only ice cubes that had melted over a period of time. (What is the point, then?) We ordered 2 courses off their Valentine menu. My date had the romaine salad with slabs of dry parmasan on top, and whole slices of bacon that were definitely on the fatty side. I had the bisque which was way too small of a portion in a way too large bowl. It had a dry piece of crustini bread plopped in the middle and was almost impossible to cut or break with my spoon without showering the neighbouring guests with soup. We were also started off with some warm buns that were small and quite crusty on the outside. After the first course, I went to get my shivering date her coat from the coat check attendant. He asked me how our evening was going, and without being too vocal, let him know that we were not having a good experience at our drafty table. He said he would speak to the host (who we later found out was the owner) but he was not available. He passed on our displeasure to the seating hostess whom also said would speak to the host. After waiting a minute, I told her that I was going back to my seat as my date was expecting her coat. The hostess assured me that she would speak to the owner and that he would come and see us. Back at our table, the main course arrived. My date had the tenderloin that was supposed to be medium cooked but was extremely dry. There were 2 small roasting potatoes, cut in half, and a chunk of bock choy as a side. I had the chicken, with skin on, smothered in a sauce and a piece of bock choy as a side. The quality of my chicken was average and both portions were extremely small. In the meantime, the seating hostess walked by our table several times without acknowledging us, and the owner never did appear at our table. After waiting a short time for our bill, we proceded to the cashier desk. We waited there several minutes before I decided to get our coats from the coatcheck. Once again, the attendant ask me how our visit was and I told him that our experience was quite disappointing. He handed me a $25 gift certificate for our next visit. (I have the feeling this was not because of our experience, but was standard fare for all guests this particular evening) Our waitress finally met up with us at the cashier desk and we let her know of our disappointment. She did admit that they were having on going problems with the temperature in this particular area of the restaurant. She called the owner over and we finally got to speak to him face to face. She told him that we were not satisfied with our experience and he said to us, and this is a quote, "So what would you like me to do about it?" We could not BELIEVE the lack of empathy this man had! We were clearly disappointed and flustered at this point, and once again, trying to be considerate of other guests; trying not to "make a scene". I said to him that at this point, we just want to leave. And his response was, and this is a quote, "Okay, fine" as he walked away! On our way out, we handed the $25 gift certificate back to the coat check attendant, asking him to give it to someone else as we did not intend to ever come back.

Our bill came out to $110 in total and was a complete waste of money. The service rating I am giving is strictly for the service we received from our waitress. The other staff was either paying lip service to our concerns, or making us feel "invisible".

1 Thank GeorgeKitchener
Waterloo
“Always Amazing”
Reviewed 31 October 2008

I've eaten there countless times and have always had an amazing meal complimented by friendly personal service.

New renovations that are under way have really changed the look for the better.

Recommend it to anyone visiting or those who have forgot about the gem uptown.